Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Best Route Zion to Bryce

We are planning a trip from Zion NP to Bryce Canyon soon. I know we are too long to go thru the tunnel and was wondering which route we should take. 14 from Cedar City over then up to Bryce or go up further to 20 and over to Bear Valley Junction than down to Bryce.
We know they will both be mountain roads but does anyone have any past experience with either of these routes. Thanks Guys...Dave and Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave and Teresa,
We have taken Hwy 14 over the mountain. It is a nice drive but it is fairly steep both up and down. But we had no problems.

Well actually we did have a problem. My brake controller went out on me! I first noticed it when we stopped at the top of the mountain. We were headed west into Cedar City. I went very slowly down the mountain but even going very slowly my brakes were very hot by the time we reached the bottom at Cedar City. We even stopped a couple of times to let the system cool down.

Anyway back on topic...... We have also taken the road south of Zion. From the town of Hurricane take Hwy 59 east/south. This will take you around the mountain area. Hwy 59 will turn into Hwy 389 at Colorado City, AZ. you just keep on that road and you will run into Hwy 89. Take 89 north. That will take you to the Bryce Canyon road.... Hwy 12.

We enjoyed both routes outlined above. Route 14 is the most direct route but very steep. The route out of Hurricane has only one real grade and that is just as you leave Hurricane. And it is not too long nor too steep. Both routes are very scenic. If you have the time I think I'd take the Hwy 59 route. Be sure and stop at the very small Pipe Springs NM. There is a small CG located just north of the Monument owned and operated by the local Indian Tribe. We looked at it but decided it was a bit too rustic for us. We drove on into Kanab, UT. There are several CGs in the area. We stayed at one near the downtown area. It was a tight fit but we did manage to get the rig into the site. Do not remember the name of the park.

The area around Kanab is beautiful. We also visited the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. If you have the time it is well worth a visit. If you have an ATV you will be in ATV Heaven. Otherwise you'll just have to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Also just north of Kanab there is a place called Dog Town.... maybe that is just the TV show.... but anyway we did not visit there but next time we will stop and see the place in person. What a wonderful job they do in saving animals.

Hwy 89 is one of our favorite routes. We take it whenever we get the chance.

I do not remember ever taking route 20 but it looks like it would be a fine road.

Have fun.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I used the 20 route from I-15 when I was driving south from Idaho to get to Bryce Canyon through Panguitch, over to Bryce. This was a good route, and you are coming from the south then going all the way up I-15 to the 20 might not buy you much.

I agree with HamRad that swinging south on the 59 to make your way to the 89 is a good bet. The scenery is nice and the roads are good. It's about 150 miles.

Using the 14 for your route will be long and tedious with a trailer. If I recall the steepness and windyness will make for a slow bothersome route as the hamsters (cars with impatient drivers) try and get around you on the road. On the other hand if you plan to go real slow between Zion and Bryce via the 14, then it might be worth it because there's plenty of places to stop and let the hamsters find their own way around you. It is actually a little farther than the 59/89 route and much slower.

Good luck on your travels,
Art
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our route was the reverse of yours. We went north from Bryce and took 20 across to the interstate and then back down. We've driven (solo) across from Cedar City. They have a long winter season in the higher elevations and it was covered with snow so we went around when towing. The route from Cedar City is beautiful, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dandt,
I did some checking on my map program and came up with the following figures:
From the Zion area (Harrisburg Junction) to Long Valley Junction it is about 92 miles if you take the hwy 59/389/89 route.
If you take the 15 north to Cedar City from the Zion area (Harrisburg Junction) and then over the mountain on hwy 14 it is about 85 miles to Long Valley Junction.

Of course you still have the distance from Long Valley Junction to Bryce. It is about 36 miles from Long Valley Junction to Ruby's Inn (Bryce Canyon) on hwy 89 and then hwy 12.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote