Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Just Bought a 3400RL

The DW and I just purchased a 2009 3400RL 10th Anv. and did the PDI yesterday. Currently sitting in front of the house. Much larger than the 30ft StarCraft we were using before.

During PDI only discovered a few things that need attention. The biggest problem we found was the puddy used to cover the nail holes in the trim. Our trim looks "spotted". The dealer could not figure out how to clean it up using their normal methods. He took photos and sent them off to Keystone. One of the recliners looks like a cat has used the back to sharpen their nails. A replacement has been ordered.

We have a RV park on the lake about 3 miles from the house. We are going to run the unit over there this afternoon and set it up. This will give us a chance to test everything again and still have the saftey net of being close to the house in the event we forgot something.

I am sure I will be a regular lurker here
Rick

RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Congrats on the fine rig, and we look forward to reading of your experiences, trials, joys and anything else that you choose to post rather than just lurking!!! Welcome to the forum.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
Congrats on the new rig, i'm sure you'll enjoy for many years to come!
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Heres hopin yours has been as trouble free as some! Sure hope they got the DVD and Micro issues dealt with! Oh well, we still love ours, just finished trip from Pa. to Fla. accross the gulf and back to Moab...NO PROBLEMS YEAH! Enjoy it and participate!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good choice of floor plan and very popular. We have the equivalent floor plan in ours. For a full timer's unit, it has been more than satisfactory. Sounds like you have a lot of experience, so we will be looking for your posts. Nothing like the forum for up-to-date Montana info. Welcome aboard!! Hope your new Montana exceeds your expectations. Happy RVing..............
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good choice. There have been so many changes from our 06 3400 to the one you purchased that ours looks old.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
How Fun! Enjoy that new rig!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats Rick, we are sure you will love the floor plan as we do. Keep us posted!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
Have fun with your new 3400, Rick! We just bought ours last summer and love it! We plan to full time in it later this year (I hope!) Very roomy and comfortable.

Good luck with everything and welcome to The Forum. This is the place to find the answers to any questions you may have as you use your rig.
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, "Welcome to the BEST DARNED FORUM on the WWW! You will be amazed the amount of information one can learn from this forum. Congrats on the new rig, I am kinda partial to the 3400 as many others are also. Keystone claims it is the most popular model. We are fulltimers and I can't imagine have a different model. Don't be a stranger and there is absolutely no question to dumb to ask. BTW Lurking is authorized. Good luck with the shakedown!!!!! Hope to see you on the road!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Hi Rick and everyone else!

I'm new around here too. Currently have a Mountaineer 298RLS, but picking up my new 3400RL this Friday!

Rick - I did a "pre" PDI yesterday and also found those same spots on the trim of every slide. Looked like putty to me too. The dealer was stumped and is checking in to it. I told them it is a deal killer if they can't make it better. Hope it doesn't come to that. I'm very interested in what your dealer finds out. Other than that, I crawled every nook and cranny for 2 hours and was very impressed with the fit and finish. Can't wait to getout in it!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Gongrats to both of you on your new rigs. This forum has been a big help to Vickie and I and I'm sure it will be to you also.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Thank you for all of your well wishes. Just got back a few hours ago. All went well. Found a few other items to add to the list. All very minor. Being only a few miles from the house they gave us strange look when we checked in. While everybody else was at the lake resting and relaxing my wife and I were all over the 3400 trying everything again and again to make sure it was all working to our expectations. Being so close to the house even a few friends drove out so that they too could check out our new toy and visit.

A few minor issue to get resolved:

Galley Gray Tank Monitor is not working. I get nothing when I press the button. All the rest work correctly (or at least as well as those monitors work).

They forgot to put the garden hose gasket/screen on the city water hookup. So as soon as I turned on the water it started to leak like crazy. Easy fix especially after I found the gasket/screens in a kitchen drawer.

My wife left the drain plug in the tub this morning while showering. She bent down to release the water and the knob came off in her hand. Had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get a good enough grip to get it to release.

Went to Wally World and spent an additional $250 on stuff for the trailer. After this past week, I feel that I alone is keeping Wal-Mart in business. But found a trash can that is 28in tall to replace the wire basket that is currently being used for the hamper. Greatly increases the capacity. Ran a load of towels that we picked up in the washer/dryer. Over all pleased. Our load was slightly off balanced and did shake the whole trailer when it went in to the spin cycle. But once it went to the dry cycle it was quiet enough to go to sleep while it finished.

I did discover a strange noise from the LP Regulator. We were running the water heater on both LP & Elec and kept hearing this mechanical beep as the water was heating. Tracked it down the regulator. Just turned off the LP switch on the water heater and it stopped. Turned it back on it started again. As soon as the water was to temp and the gas was no longer flowing it stopped. Very strange. Will most likely have them change the regulator.

The only other problem I have been having is blowing the fuse that leads to the Landing Gear/Stabilizer/Slides controller. I absolutely love the key chain remote. It allows me to stand near the slides as they are going out so that I can check for clearances. But every time I retract the lander gear I blow the fuse. I did at the dealership and again today when hooking up. With the truck idling I have problems hearing the gear going up. Once it is fully retracted I am not off the button fast enough and it blows the fuse. Has anybody else had this problem? I only have the problem on the landing gear. Everything else is fine. Worst case I will replace the inline fuse with a 30amp Marine Circuit Breaker. This way all I will have to do is press the reset instead of replacing a 30amp micro blade fuse each time.

Over all very pleased with the Montana. The space inside is amazing, even with a 80# dog. Going from 30' single slide to the 3400 is a night/day difference. I think we will adjust.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Hi Rick and everyone else!

I'm new around here too. Currently have a Mountaineer 298RLS, but picking up my new 3400RL this Friday!

Rick - I did a "pre" PDI yesterday and also found those same spots on the trim of every slide. Looked like putty to me too. The dealer was stumped and is checking in to it. I told them it is a deal killer if they can't make it better. Hope it doesn't come to that. I'm very interested in what your dealer finds out. Other than that, I crawled every nook and cranny for 2 hours and was very impressed with the fit and finish. Can't wait to getout in it!
The trim is the only thing that has really pissed me off. We did our PDI before going in and doing the paperwork. Spotted the trim right off during the PDI. But with just a little spit and rubbing it appeared to be going away. So I originally thought it was a easy fix. Told the guy doing the PDI and he was going to clean all the trim along with the other items on our list. So we go off finish the paper work as they finish our punch list. Come back and the trim does not appear to be done. I chase him down and he said he took care of it. I told him he better come have a 2nd look. It appears as the spots are wet they blend in just fine but as soon as it drys it looks like a leopard.

Please keep me informed with what you find out before you take delivery. They took photos of mine and sent it off to Keystone. So I am waiting on an answer.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
RickW, on the landing gear, we don't raise ours ALL THE WAY UP. We have a mark on the legs near the top and go no further. Others have installed a larger fuse or a resettable CB. I have those available, but have never blown a fuse yet, if I ever do I will install one of these.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!! we have had very few issues. you'll be happy. good luck
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
Hello Rick and All,

We bought a 2009, 3400RL in January. Had some minor issues after taking her out in February. The DVD died, 2 of the twist locks for the exterior doors frose and could not open the compartment, and the front landing gear kept blowing fuses. All were handeled by dealer without delay...Already making Mods...

Bill & Rose
billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Looks like the fuse is a common problem. So I ordered a 30amp Thermal Circuit Breaker. Since my dealer is almost 100 miles away it will be cheaper/faster to install it myself.

As for mods I got in there and installed a Cell Phone Amplifier Sunday afternoon before returning the trailer to storage. Drives my wife crazy to see me have all the access compartments open and drill in hand, but it is all back together now and you can not even tell I had it all apart.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Congratulations on the new unit. The 3400 sure is a nice floorplan. I'm glad everything is going ok so far with just some minor repairs. There's lots of expertize here on repairs, upgrades and all kinds of mods! Have fun!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote