Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
NancyPooley

M.O.C. #9146
Mice Problems

We stored our 5th Wheel last year and when we picked it up it was invested with mice.* We are getting ready to store it again and we like some suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again.Thanks,

NancyPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
This subject comes up a lot and you will find that everyone has different solutions that seem to workl for them. We have tried poison, drier sheets, plugging holes and other thing but what seems to work the best is to buy some liquid peppermint from the health food store, put a few drops on some cotten balls and place them in plastic sandwich bags that have a couple of small holes cut into them. Strategically place the bags where you seem to find the most mouse activity. In our case it was always under the kitchen counter area. I guess the mice do not like the peppermint smell. In our experience, this method is the only one that has been 100% effective. It is either a great solution or the mice have left town. :-)
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pete,

That still amazes me!

The infestation we had in the house, and it was a VERY bad one, BAD BAD BAD,

their point of interest was peppermint candies, a huge bag from Sams. They ate it all, we had FAT, FAT, FAT, diabetic mice!!

they carried those mints up the walls, into every room of the house, we found remnants for months, well, ok, well over a year, and much to our dismay, we actually found one more in a closet we know was totally cleaned out just last month, and that is like 2 years later.

I guess there is a difference in the mints and your liquid??

I do agree with you on this, what seems to work for one of us, does not seem to work for someone else on the MOC.

Guess you could say, they are amazing animals. SIGHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Maybe the mice in different parts of the country like different things. Ha HA
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We store our Monte on rock on the Platte River bottom land and it sits out in the middle of a field and next to a barn and out buildings and we haven't had a problem with the mice at all! I did put steelwool into the holes I could find and we put dryer sheets around in the drawers, under the sinks and where ever we think they might hangoot! I also take and throw mothballs under the unit- around the tires and front support pads. I also took a couple of sticky traps and put them in the basement but have not had anything get on them. There is type of repellent that is sold at Tractor Supply that is suppose to work! I did put some of that out this year also. Guess we've been lucky so far! Keep us informed on what you do and how the different things work for you!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rondo,

Would be interested in learning more about the stuff from Tractor Supply, does it wash away with any rain/snow and have to be re-applied?

Pete,

Me thinks you are onto something there!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
My usual response :camphor blocks plus plug every hole with expandable foam and steel wool.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote