Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
LAPTOP GPS SOFTWARE

I am thinking about purchasing a GPS software package for my laptop.
Looking at a DeLorme Earthmate or Microsoft Streets and Trips package. Does anyone have any experience with either of these programs? Any recommendations?
Also for those who use their laptops in their vehicles during the day have any trouble viewing the screen?
Sure would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We used Delorme for several years and it worked well. I used it while working and driving throughout much of East of the Mississippi. It took me through New York City, Chicago, Miami and rural roads in between. It also worked well when traveling with the Montana. The one thing that got us to getting a dashtop GPS was the laptop on top of Carol's legs got uncomfortable. Some have made platforms for the laptop for the center of the vehicle and liked that. We did like the Delorme maps and it was easy to use.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I have used the Delorme system for many years with my laptop and desk top. I have the blue tooth connection and it works great. I have both the street version and the topo loaded and switch between depending on the area so I can see elevation changes ahead. I do a lot of public service work with my Ham radio group, and love the ability to tell where I am at all times for emergency response. My system allows you to change the screen for bright or dark environments. Most of our work is in the daytime and I have the laptop sitting on my center arm rest. For long distance travel I use my Garmin Nuvi350 instead of the laptop. Both systems work for me, but I like the large screen for my old eyes with the laptop.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have the MS Street & Trip. I use it for planning trips but have opted for the Garmin while traveling. When I was using laptop before I got the Garmin, I got an inverter and plugged into cig lighter and when the laptop is running on A/C the screen is much brighter than when running on battery. My problem is I have the large screen laptop by dell and it takes up a lot of room - even sitting in the middle of the pickup.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use Delorme and have had no problems. It has directed us for thousands of miles. When the GPS is on, the screen changes and is easy to see even in bright sunlight. As with all of these maps, there are always some differences in the roads. We only got in a real pickle once, ended up in a gravel pit just as they were ready to dynamite! Ed made a quick U-Turn!
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have used MS S&T with GPS even before getting the Hanna. I found it to be excellent for ease of use. I loved it for trip planning, but size does matter, and we opted for the smaller TomTom for traveling. I still use MS S&T for trip planning. I like the option of having a location on the screen and doing a satellite view of the area. It gives me a look at the layout of a CG before I decide if I want to go there or not. (I know, there are other tools to do the same, but this is built in) I also like the fact that MS S&T will let you do a live search. (both satellite view and live search requires internet access) For example, your map is centered around a loacation and you
want to know if there are any RV Parks, you just click on Live Search and type in RV Park and it will pop up all those within the center of the screen. You can zoom down or out. Each CG location will allow you to click on a website or get a phone number.

I guess I'm partial.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Here again is one of those personal decisions. We've used Delorme's Street Atlas for the almost eight years we've been full timing. Wouldn't be without it. MS S&T is a proven good product.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with all the comments...
We used delorme on a Jotto desk and now use Magellan as its easier setup and turn on...use maps.google.com for pre-trip planning which provides in most cases ability to do sat check on final destination layout.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I don't want to complicate your decision making but we have used GPS software from ALK called Co-Pilot Live. We have found it excellent for trip planning and navigation.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I was teaching a computer class for a junior college adult education program, I was asked by the students what the better word processor, spreadsheet, and other programs of the time were. My answer, "What ever you are comfortable with and whatever works for your particular application."

As stated, we all have personal preferences. I posted what my experience is with MS S&T. I have other programs and always revert back to my personal preference. What I posted was what I experienced and in no way indicates that it is a better or worse program than any other.

Since MS S&T is a yearly "new" release and there are no on-line upgrades except to purchase the new release, as soon as I see the 2009 version, I can send you the 2008 version minus the GPS receiver - for free. It will give you an opportunity to use and check out if it is the program for you. Maybe someone else has an old program of another variety that they can let you play with, and then you can determine what is right for you.

Good luck in what ever choice you make.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with you Wayne about using what you are use to. Since I'm a Microsoft person, I don't even know how I ended up with Delorme instead of S&T. I think it was because I could get it faster since I knew both programs were good. Using a program you know well is like having comfy slippers that you don't want to give up. LOL
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
What Wayne said is very appropriate. Use whatever you are comfortable with. Get ideas from others (like all of us), then go with your own heart. You won't be wrong no matter which way you go.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I usually have both MS S&T and Delorme. I just got the latest Delorme, and I believe the GPS with that also will work with S&T. S&T is very inexpensive at Sam's - at least it used to be under $20. Any GPS will work with it. I have found that the two databases cover things I'm looking for more completely than just one. I found more campgrounds in MS S&T. Probably more businesses in Delorme. Both good products.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I used DeLorme right after it came on the market till 2000 when I could afford the Garmin Quest. I loved the DeLorme and used it to death. But the laptop was a problem in the vehicle and took a lot of space. I like the Garmin but will be getting a bit larger unit soon as the Quest has such a small screen and is not nearly as user friendly as the NUVI or some of the newer units. Like said above get what you are comfortable with... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
p.s., did I mention that MS S&T can be used "stand-alone?" Even then you will get little blue markers for campgrounds. The markers will strain your eyes finding them, but they are there and they will pop up an address and telephone number.

The live search mode works differently.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Garmin GPS-18 with City navigator north america recently upgraded to 2009.It is not perfect, none of them are, we have been using it for over 2 years with few problems. It does have the we are a big truck option and the other 2 units we have do not. we use all three units but only the GPS-18 with city navigator when pulling the 3400 because it keeps us on good roads.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We use MS S&T as well as Delorme. I like the route planning ability of S&T better but I like the GPS view on Delorme better. So when a whim hits I use one or the other.

We just purchased a 8" laptop made by Acer this weekend. This is a full PC, 120g HD, 3 USB ports, ethernet port, SD, MD etc... card slots, no DVD/CD drive. Built in WIFI and I have installed and tested the Verizon aircard and all is a go!

Check out Best Buy, $350. I have made a mounting that will mount on the slide out cup tray in the dash of the Ford F250. I will have it with me at the Rally. When I finish the mounting bracket, I will attempt to post.

This will take care of the size of the laptop issue and still give us the full laptop ability.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Vic, I've used both and used them both on laptops in my truck going down the road. I find DeLorme's has more features but is much harder to learn. Once you learn it, it's more powerful than S&T in my opinion. But I switched to S&T because I found its interface much easier and quicker to use and I didn't really use much of DeLorme's features anyhow. One feature I did miss is that DeLorme lets you draw in roads that are not on the map. So you can kinda sorta correct errors on the map if you're going to be in that area for awhile.

With the laptops in the truck I did have some trouble with seeing the screen when the sunlight was just right. Most of the time it was not a problem. What was more a concern for me was how much I had to take my eyes off the road to get a feel for the upcoming turn, how far to the turn, etc. That's why I went to the portable that sits on the dash directly in front of me. But you may not find that a problem.

That said, a year and a half ago I went to a Garmin portable and absolutely love it. But both the solutions you are considering are good ones and will do well for you. Good luck with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Adding to this topic is Laptop provides a "big" picture of trip progress (really do miss this)...I too converted to a Magellan as its instantly on, less distraction tendancy, visable in all lighting situations, quickly stowable to avoid temptation to thieves and audiable is better.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Probably either will work fine. We use S&T and like it. Not sure what Delorme costs, S&T is really a bargain at about $40 (without GPS receiver) about $100 with receiver. You only need buy the receiver once, and then just buy the updates. If you have a little handheld GPS, it will probably work as a receiver with S&T as well, as long as you get the appropriate cable. None of these programs seem to have a Mac version, about the reason I still have Windows XP loaded on my Mac.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote