Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #21
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
David, I'm glad to hear that FL living is cheaper than GA since that would probably mean that it is cheaper than TN since we too are looking at what we want to do a few years down the road. We like the idea of planned communities in FL. Have you had any experience with these?

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We really liked Tennessee when visiting. However, the one thing that really made us wince was the 11% sales tax on everything. That was a noticeable sting when going through the checkouts...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have no "Exit Plan" as we have no intention of exiting our full time lyfestyle. IF, notice that's a BIG IF, the time ever comes where our health prevents us from traveling in our Monty than and only than will we cut back but I do not plan to ever own nor rent another stick house. I will not be paying all the taxes that go along with being a stick house owner. I will not be paying for someone to mow my loan or maintain my property. I will not be paying some association fees either.
We have any number of RV parks close by Clearwater, FL where we can lease an RV site by the year. On this site will sit our Monty and sitting in our Monty we will still be living the full time lifestyle. "Exit Plan?" No Way Jose.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have fulltimed for 7 years, I will not live in an RV if I am not traveling. We are not getting off the road for good, but I like the concept of this community because it is close to RVing lifestyle with more comforts of a house that you cannot get in an RV. The fees involved are cheaper than lot rent, alot cheaper, even with insurance that covers hurricane damage and taxes the total cost per month is cheaper than renting a lot per year. The fees include all maintenance and security, plus pools and other amenities. I also like owning the lot rather than renting which will always go up, never down.
I can understand people who are not wanting to get back into a stick house. We have enjoyed our retirement more due to traveling and RVing and one reason we enjoy it so much is living without a house. I know plenty of people who RV with a house and they are always complaining about the costs involved and the maintenance needed when traveling. This is what I am trying to avoid. One thing I try not to do is "never say never"
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

We really liked Tennessee when visiting. However, the one thing that really made us wince was the 11% sales tax on everything. That was a noticeable sting when going through the checkouts...
The actual state sales tax is 9.25%. The county/city, etc, added on to that for your 11%. Although even the 9.25% may seem high, TN has no personal income tax or personal property tax.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I stopped at a couple different towns in TN and had the 11% tax both places. Probably, a coincidence. One place was at Gatlinburg, which makes sense regarding the extra county and city tax.

I understand that there is no personal property tax (autos, etc), but how is the property tax on homes and land?

My experience is that a sales tax has a tendency to take a larger percent out of the lower/middle residents (and retirees) income than income taxes do. That is only my experience, though.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote