Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
1st Time Set-Up with DIRECT TV?

I'm headed out over Turkey weekend to try and set up my new Direct TV Satelitte into my 2006 2955RL Montana. I think they're already wired for satelitte. Does anyon have advise on how to attain a signal for a rookie??? My portable Winegard RD 9046 comes with a compass but that's all I know at this point. Do I need to zipcode of the place I'm headed? Just one of many silly questions.

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Am I glad you asked this question. I have only ever tried to do what you are doing only once. The only message I could get on the screen was "turn the dish 3 degrees". I nearly lost my sanity trying to get a red sox game. I'm watching this post with great interest. It will help me, too. Thanks again for posting this question.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All I can say is when my contract with Hughes Net runs it's course I will be doing Verizon. I don't want to haul that dish around any more. But you are talking about sat TV not sat internet. It should be easier to point and shoot. Yes, you will probably need the zip so that your software will be able to tell you asmuth and elevation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
jaybird, welcome, Inside if you have not hooked up the Directv receiver, hook it up to the cable coming down from the right hand side. That one goes to the TV there. I tried to hook it up to the jumper on the left side and could not get it to work. Outside there is a cable connection in the compartment where you hook up the water. You can either hook up the campground cable or your satalite dish there. Assume you have about 50' of cable so you can move the dish where you can get a clear view of the southern sky. Once you have the receiver installed you can go to the Directv menu and load the zip code and it will tell you the compass heading, and what number up or down on the dish.

Very first thing is to make sure the dish/tripod is level. Then point it in the direction for the compass and the up/down setting. When you find the satelite you may need to make minor adjustments to peak the picture.
I use a meter to find the satelite which helps. Otherwise you need to keep running back to the TV or listen for the sound in the tv which can drive DW crazy. This should get you close for a single LNB dish.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Let's talk about what kind of meter to use and where to get it?

Also, tripond, where to get them??

Tks.
Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jaybird -

I have the roof mounted dish, but it is the same thing. Turn on your receiver and turn tv to channel 3 (unless you are using the component in to the tv, in which case you will want to use the input 1). I usually take a gps reading when I get there, but if I forget, I start at about 180 deg azimuth and 38 deg elevation. Since I am inside the trailer, I just turn the satellite to setup, signal strength and listen for the beep to tell me I'm close. I have both the bedroom and main tv setup for sat so I can watch or have my wife tell me. Since you are going to be adjusting outside, you can do one of three things - turn up the volume and listen, have someone on the inside tell you when you're close, or buy one of the satellite finders that connect to the dish that will tell you when you have a good signal. Once you get a good signal, exit out of the menu and wait for it to acquire the signal and you will be watching your favorite program. Hope this helps. If not, send me a message and I'll try to answer specific questions. Enjoy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Or look up the azimuth and elevation settings on:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

it uses the zip code of wherever you will be. On our single LNB getting the tripod level is critical. Point Azimuth scale on the tripod to north with the use of the compass. Elevation setting should be on the dish. Simple set-up, usually get good signal on first try with the single or double LNB. Hook cable to satellite/cable in and you will be able to watch on living room tv. Bedroom tv is a little bit more involved as you have to make sure the cable jumpers in the rig are properly set. With a single lnb dish you are limited to the same channel on both tv's. If you need more assistance, there are other threads under the LET US ENTERTAIN YOU topic, they definitely help if you look through them.
Bingo
On edit: Tripods are available at Camping World or satellite TV dealers, a search can be done on the internet.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
mail2us, the meter has a tag on it that says "Perfect Vision model pvsf22k Satelite finder" I got it at a TV store that also installs Directv. The only problem is it will find all the satelites, but once you find one (if its not the right one), you are close to the one you need. The Tripod I bought along with the sish from the local Directv sales and service office.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Just a suggestion. If you have GPS, use the longitude, latitude settings. It is a little more accurate than zip code.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Stiles, what kind of dish are you going to get from verizon for internet?
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
A handy tool is the "SatBeper" that is easier than a meter to find the signal. It has one tone when connected to the receiver and then a highest pitch tells you that you are pointed at the satellite. It worked great with DirectTV for us but is not as helpful with Dish.

Remember that the signal can go through some walls but not trees so the antenna can actually see the sat through your Montana if there are too many trees at your site.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The reference has good instructions on finding the satellite. Here are my abridged version. Others will address connecting up to the Monty.

Finding a satellite is like pointing a paper towel tub up into the sky and finding one star in its view. As mentioned you have two reference points you use. Those are your azimuth (left and right pointing based on a compass pointing) and Elevation (up angle above the horizon). As stated the first critical part is making sure the mast supporting the dish is perfectly vertical so use a good level. Make sure you check two sides of the mast 90 degrees apart. If this mast is straight up then 90 degrees to that is level, horizontal. Now point the dish on the proper azimuth degrees on the compass. Use the center of the feed horn as an aiming device in line with the mast. Now raise the elevation to the desired angle. If MURPHY is not around you have found your satellite. Make slight adjustments left or right to increase the signal. Then up or down. Tweak left to right again then up or down repeating until you feel you have the strongest signal.
Now if you have not found the satellite I recommend a box search. Think of a checkers board. If you consider your satellite dish pointing at the center of the board then move it left to right a couple of squares, degrees, and then raise or lower the dish a degree and then search left to right again.
I feel it is easier to move the dish left to right then it is to accurately raise it up and down free hand. So raise or lower it, tighten the screw then search left and right for the satellite. If no luck, move a little farther up or down and try again. Do not be afraid to go back to basics and start again. it can get knocked out of level.
Since the satellite signal is very week it will not work well if it has to go through trees. Therefore, ensure you have a clear view toward the satellite you are trying to access. If there are trees then you can take a paper towel tube line it up with the dish back and feed tube trying to make sure it has the same angle as the elevation. Then look through it, yes being a contortionist helps. If you can see through an opening in the trees then you should have success.
Practice helps.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #13
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Direct TV says that your dish has to be permanently attached to your RV. How do you get around that? I don't want a dish on the roof because of the tree problem. Can I just take the dish & box from home when I go on the road? Also, I am leaning toward HDTV because we just bought a flat panel LCD for our monty. It won't fit in the 25" tv cabinet. It measures 25-3/4". We will figure out where to put it - probably on the counter, but I'd like to be able to get HD on the road. Is there a big difference in the dishes for reg and HD?
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We acquired a separate dish that we keep in the rig, use a tripod for the dish, take two receivers with us from the house. We don't have HD yet and use a round 2 lnb dish currently. Directv is changing the house dish to 5 lnb and we hope to acquire the current 3 lnb dish from them for use in the rig. Some of the HDTV signals (local I know) require the 5 lnb dish. We get some of the HDTV signals with the 3 lnb dish but I won't know about the others until they switch the dishes and I try the 3 lnb dish on the basement LCD HDTV that Santa is bringing for Christmas (Of course I will have to keep dropping hints to Santa, otherwise known as DW).
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
If you already have Directv you can order a Temporary Installation Kit.
Temporary Installation Kit

The Kit includes:

DIRECTV 18" Standard Dish

Tripod Mount

50 Ft. Coax Cable

Compass/Level

Set up Instructions Sheet and DVD

Offer for existing residential customers only. No programming commitment needed. Requires self-installation

The price is only 49.95.
Just what you need for your Monty.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
osofine

Just get yourself a system like Jjackflash listed and take the box from home. I'd get another 50' of coax just in case you need to stretch it out some place. I don't know about the HD stuff since all we have is the standard analog connection. I will need to check out the HD stuff before the end of next year.

You do NOT have to have a permanent mount on your RV. We've never had one and we've been using this system for 4 years.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just don't tell Directv what you are doing. No need to muddy the water.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
You should get the RV Waiver filled out and turned in to DirecTV. That allows you to get some east and west coast channels. We like that part. Can watch things 3 hours ahead of normal west coast times. And DirecTV knows that we take the boxes out of the stick house. We've had to call them several times to activate the box. They always ask which box is it the living room or the bedroom?

We've been really happy with the service from DirecTV.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #19
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
And if all of the above suggestions fail start looking for the correct transponder in your receiver.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #20
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Thank you all for the great info. I think we will start out having DTV installed at the house. Then I will shop for the best price on a 5 LNB that I can take with on the road. If way too expensive I will settle for an analog to take on the road - just until I can find a good price on the HD one. We have a satellite connection on the monty and each tv cabinet has a sat hook up. Since we only have one TV and it is a 26" that weighs 22 lbs, we will haul it into the bedroom when we want to watch it there. Can't wait to get on the road!
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote