Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
FYI....Dell computer with Celuron processor

My Dell Inspiron 6000 has been increasingly causing me headaches. It is unbelievably slow and has been showing the dreaded blue screen error messages lately. We called Dell and within 2 or 3 minutes of our conversation they offered to send us a new unit. They apparently have had a multitude of complaints that are related to the Celuron processor so a replacement unit is the answer. We do have the extended service contract with them so that may have effected their decision to replace it, maybe not. We had the choice of getting XP or Vista but opted for XP since all our software is geared toward XP. Just wanted to share this info in case anyone else has been struggling with their Dell computer.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy,

Will they allow you to swap the hard drive?...if you only have a hardware problem, that would be a simple solution to keep your existing applications and current operating system . Swapping hard drives in a laptop is a 3-minute chore.

If I can help, you know how to contact me.

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
When I got my new computer with Vista on it Judy, it was the first day that they came out with it and I had a lot of problems working with my existing software. Since then almost every software program had been updated to enclude Vista and it is real simple now. With all the upgrades, I am real happy with Vista.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Robbie, why would I want them to swap out the hard drive if Dell is giving me a new computer?? I probably don't understand what you're asking. We have an external hard drive and Glen has backed up my computer (My Documents) on to that little piece of machinery. Then we'll load it on the new 'puter. Are we missing something?

Helen, I'm glad that you're enjoying Vista now. What are its benefits over XP? We thought it would be good for both of us to have the same operating system.

Apparently Dell isn't just being generous. It has at least one class action suit out there so they're trying to keep the peace.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Congratulations Judy...it's nice to read where someone is being treated well. I have had such crummy luck with service issues. I have not with my dell but it's at home and a Desk Top. In fact I have not had many problems other than it is a bit slow. It is not a Celeron, so I don't know why.

Were on earth are you two located these days?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Patty, we are at home in Alabama in our stick house, ready to hit the road again within the week. We're heading for the midwest to visit with family and help my parents transition into assisted living. We're presently recovering from a week long visit with our peppy, busy little granddaughters. Thanks for asking.

Apparently the problems with Dell involve the 5000 and 6000 series. We're delighted with Dell's solution.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I am not sure what the technical terms are for the different OS's but the graphics are what I notice the most, ease of use of the commands and the Home Premium Entertainment that comes with it. I am still learning some of it but I like what I see. My computer is a Gateway that came with the Intel Pentium. I had the Celuron in my other Gateway laptop and didn't have any problems until I spilled a glass of wine on the keyboard. I found out that it was not a wine lover. Hope I don't find out that it doesn't like Margarita's either.

I'm glad that you will be on the road again soon. We are hoping to leave Tuesday and meeting up with Shirley and Gene where we will travel west together for awhile. We will be spending some time in the Black Hills with them at least. I am still having some problems getting out of here though. I should find out for sure tomorrow.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're anxious to get on the road, too. We keep moving our departure date up.

Have fun and safe travels with Gene and Shirley. I had a nice surprise when I answered our phone this morning and heard Shirley's familar, sweet voice. We hadn't talked for a long time. We are thankful for all the great friends we've met on this forum.

Maybe we will regret not getting Vista but at least we won't have to learn a new system. Old age is tough.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Judy, we have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Celeron. Although we haven't experienced any big problems with it yet, it does seem to be getting slower. Thanks for the update about Dell and the class action suit.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That is what was happening with mine, Bob and Pam. It also started using 100% CPUs which really slowed it down. Then the dreaded blue screen messages. I bought mine in 2005. Our daughter-in-law bought one in 2006 and hasn't had any problems. We didn't mention the lawsuit when we called (we didn't need to) and that might be internet gossip even tho it is posted as news. But I'm glad that you're aware of potential problems now. Glen has a newer XPS and I am amazed at how much fast his unit will boot up. Amazingly, mine is behaving better since we've told it we're replacing it!

By the way, we were back at Magnolia RV Park in Vicksburg last week. Where were you?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Judy, we're still parked here on the farm in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Hoping to be able to leave within the next month if all goes well.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Still cattle rustling, eh? Or is that cattle roping? We're going to be on the road in just a few days. Camp Grandma is over and today we played golf with our daughter. What else is there to keep us at home? Nothing! So off we go, heading for Illinois where my new computer will be delivered.