Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
New Mexico CGs

We are currently staying in one of New Mexico's fine state parks. We are at the Pancho Villa State Park located at Columbia, NM. It is a couple of miles from the Mexico/US border.

It is a very nice CG. Very large spaces with a lot of room between each site. They have tent sites as well as sites with electric and water. No sewer connections but a very nice dump station. Also have very nice restrooms with showers! This is the second NM CG we've stayed at and it was equally nice.

This is for general information as well as specific information for Robbie and Alice. We visited Rockhound SP which is just southeast of Demming. It is located in the foothills and overlooks a valley where the city of Demming is located. Very nice large sites spaced away from each other very nicely.

Then we drove up toward Silver City and toured the City of Rocks SP. What a nice park. It is located about 25 miles north of Demming. It is in a very isolated area. If you are looking for solitude this is the place. They have located the campsites among these fantastic volcanic rock formations. Robbie I see why you liked this place so much.

When we are back in this part of the country we will try out one or both of these SPs. And we encourage any of you traveling in NM to check them out.

HamRad and PERetired

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
HamRad, glad you all are enjoying our state.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ragdoll,
In talking to some other folks at our CG we discovered it is possible for a non-resident to buy and annual pass at a rather reasonable cost. This pass basically allows you unlimited camping in all of the various NM state parks. With no additional charges! If you want to have electrical service you do have to pay! A whole $4 per night! Wow! Very nice deal.

Now folks remember that we are in New Mexico. High desert country. So the SPs represent that country. If you do not like true desert country then these places are not for you.

I have not stayed at any of the forested SPs ..... if they have some.... and I assume they do. But I'll bet they are just as nice as the desert parks.

Thank you Ragdoll for your welcome. I hope I haven't opened a Pandora's box with this info. You have a beautiful state and we are enjoying it. And we will be back.

HamRad and PERetired
Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
HamRad,

I will join with ragdoll in welcoming you to our state, and I too am happy you guys are haveing a good time.

Yes, we do have several forrested state parks, scattered all over the mountainous areas. Most are very nice and well kept, but some are a little difficult, to impossible to get a large rig into. I would advise calling the state parks office ahead of time.

Thank you for your nice comments about our great state.

BTW, did you know Columbus NM is the location of the only invasion of the continental US by a foriegn country. Pancho Villa and his troops tried and failed there.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great Report, Dennis. Makes me want to go there. Thanks for the tip on accessibility, Lonnie. That's important to know.

Dennis, how many of those Montanas are still stalking you?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Mary Kay and Dennis...and others.

We are so pleased that you took our advice about staying at the City of Rocks SP in New Mexico....our recent stay there made us seriously think about buying the NM yearly pass. Thanks for the information.

Hope your continued journeys have been as much fun for you as they were for us when we were with you.

Lonnie, we love your state! These SP are a real steal and soooo beautiful. Arizona is pretty, but New Mexico is spectacular! We will be back.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
The annual pass is a good deal but have only bought it once since we usually head back east. Navajo SP (4 corners area) is not one I recommend the spaces don't accommodate large rigs - we had trouble and we have the baby Monty. When you have time check out Lincoln and Capitan area also. I think the cliff dwellings are just fantastic. Hope you all are taking in the White Sands. Are you going through Cloudcroft to Artesia to Carlsbad?

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
LonnieB and Ragdoll,
Thank you for the warm welcome to your state. We drove the "border" route from Benson to Columbus. It was a lonesome drive but we really enjoy the out of the way routes. Love going into some little town that we didn't even know was there!

Thank you for the additional info on other SPs. We do plan to do the White Sands area. But we are taking the southern route to get to Carlsbad. As much as I'd like to take the Cloudcraft route I'm afraid of the weather at the higher altitudes.

Judy,
We are all by ourselves..... not nearly as much fun as traveling with the MOC group. The break point was at Benson. Everyone else turned back.

Robbie,
Our trip to City of Rocks was just a day trip but we WILL be staying there at some time or another. Stunning! We would like to spend more time up in the Silver City area too.

Bandit did not know what to think of the snow and ice. But it was such a nice day that it took him about 2 seconds to forget it and just walk around like he knew what he was doing!

Thank you all for your sharing of information.

Enjoying the great southwest.

HamRad and PERetired
Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis and Mary Kay, I'm glad to hear you are having a good time! Silver City has been on my list of places to visit ever since we started fulltiming. But each time we traverse the area it is winter. Silver City is in the mountains. Apparently visiting there was not a problem and the town is catering to tourists this time of year?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If your're game for I-40, maybe closer to spring, Red Rock in Gallup is a beautiful park with immaculate comfort stations. Nice hiking too. Can take day trips from there to The Hubbell Trading Post and Canyon de chelly in AZ. Both worth the visit. Judy and Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote