Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
Great catch.... Thank you!

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
They will look nice in the back of your new Big Sky Dave!

The chairs and couch look nice with the wood accents as well.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I would love a wood headboard too. Though about looking for one at a ding and dents store...
Definitely leather recliners, eurostyle would be awesome; like you see in high end rigs. They are so comfy. Also, more electrical outlets are needed and a charge station for cell phones, mp3 players, etc. Lose the fabric valences and go to all wood; I loved those in the 2006 line. More neutral colors would be nice. In the kitchen, I wish Keystone would find a new supplier for the microwave/convection oven. The Apollo stinks. Pergo/Wood floors would be really cool! I also wish the day/night shades were different somehow; maybe vertical shades. Steve's wish list is a bigger kitchen (loves to cook), less living room. Also, better sink strainers/drains and better plumbing fixtures would be perfect!
That's not asking too much, is it? Ha!
Till then, our 2003 3655FL is our home; we love it, and it suits us fine. One can always dream....
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tara,

Three of your wishes are already true - The convection oven in the Big Sky is not an Apollo, the rear shades are vertical, and the shower plumbing fixtures are significant upgrades!

Not sure about the floor. I think my 2003 had the Pergo type, at least wood.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, are they still using the 2 piece shower stall/tub enclosure?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I asked the same question. Here is the response I got. "The shower is still a 2 piece. The "split" is above the seat, about half way up the wall.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Half way up the wall??? Did they say what is the purpose of that was???
Old 01-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #28
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Boy, it sounds like everyone wants to go with a simpler, more neutral decor and get rid of the loud/busy patterns and prints--and that fluffy headboard. Hope Keystone treats this thread as a very inexpensive way to survey the preferences of their customer base--whoever else out there likes that loud/busy decor, it's not the people who make up the customer base for the Montanas. So why not attract more potential customers by providing at least one decor package that dispenses with the loud/busy decor for the more neutral fabrics that everyone here wants.

Rich, I agree with you that Keystone will be sensitive to cost trade-offs. But I suspect that some of the proposed changes involve little or no additional cost--and will be much more attractive to potential Montana buyers. The proposed change to a more neutral decor package is one example--I would assume it is no more expensive, and may even be cheaper, to go with the more neutral decor than to pay to have busy patterns woven into bedspreads, curtains, etc.

And a number of the other proposed changes are ones that can be done by Keystone for a modest cost while greatly increasing the value to customers. For example, running extra electrical outlets to the bathroom, basement storage area and the sides of the bed can be done dirt cheap by guys on the production line when the underbelly and walls are open for easy conduit running--so much easier than the cost of trying to retrofit those outlets after the unit is rolled off the assembly line. And doing something like moving the rechargeable flashlight to a more reachable location costs virtually nothing, especially compared to the cost to us of moving it afterwards and then patching the hole left in the original location.

So I invite Keystone to look at the valuable input people in this thread are providing and make some simple changes that will make the Big Sky and Montana products more marketable.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I have a feeling Keystone will always use a 2 piece shower. Take a look at the size of that shower surround, does not fit through the door very well. =) I think the seam was moved higher up the surround to have a solid base piece to help support the weight of someone sitting on the seat.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #30
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As I read all the good ideas listed on this thread, I remember the Edsel.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #31
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Some of these suggestions, I believe are not just for the Big Sky, but all Montana's. One thing we want to change on ours is the outside electrical outlet. It is in the middle of the kitchen table slide. This is nowhere near where our patio is. It means you usually have to run a cord across the entrance (actually behind the entrance). As with everything, though we don't see it affecting our overall good time. David mentioned it wouldn't cost much to make some of the modifications by Keystone, but I do think when you look at how many units they produce cost of extra electical outlets and wires do add up to a larger expense overall. Most people, however, would be willing to pay $100 or more to have these improvements.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I will try to get some better pics of the Big Sky's interior today.
I tend to agree with Al and Nita, a couple extra outlets or just moving them a few feet may seem insignificant when talking about one rig but add the cost of just one rig to the total of all the rigs built it could become significant. Where does Montana draw the line on cost?? When they have priced themselves out of the market and possibly right out of business?? What we need is for someone to sit down and take all the upgrades asked for and come up with a cost price. Than we would have a better idea of what we would be adding to the total price of our beloved Monties. I think we would be quite shocked and I have a gut feeling many of us would decide to live with what we have. As far as options. The options already offered can become mind boggling to the most experienced RV. Think about what it does to the first time Montana buyer. And what happens to the newbie RVer? Some of these upgrades are definitely [s]good[/s]GREAT ideas but at what price?

While I'm here....
I should point out that the new decor colors are more neutral. More tan/biege than darker colors.
The new Air Bed sofa will be put into every Montana and Big Sky ordered UNLESS you specify you DO NOT want it. In that case you will get the jack knife sofa. The uncomfortable hide bed will no longer be offered.
I do believe those that will be at the Tampa RV show today will be pleasantly surprised wih all of the changes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #33
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Al and Nita, your thoughts on the outside electrical outlet are right on target. It should be over by the awning, even for safety.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Dave,
I have a feeling Keystone will always use a 2 piece shower. Take a look at the size of that shower surround, does not fit through the door very well. =) I think the seam was moved higher up the surround to have a solid base piece to help support the weight of someone sitting on the seat.
Makes sense, Dave.... I figured the one piece is a little more difficult to get in position when building.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #35
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, you said the new air bed was going to come in all Montanas and Big Skys unless the buyer didn't want it! For personal reasons, I would like for one future buyer NOT want it and get it and I will trade them my jack knife couch even up! That way both of us would be happy, or at least I would!!!!! This is an improvement we are looking at since I believe it will fit where the hide-a-bed will not, like in a 3280. We owners have made a lot of changes to our units ourselves at very little cost, and I don't count my labor. There are a lot of these improvements listed that would be a lot easier done when the Montana is on the line and we don't have to cut extra holes or run extra wires. I did notice on their web site, some of the small changes are incorperated already. They do listen!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #36
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We plan to have the Montana we own now for a long time. Many of the upgrades we will do ourselves. We like the fact that while vacationing it is nicely decorated and very presentable. It might not be the way we would decorate our home, but it looks good and gets a lot of wows! When we start longtiming in a couple of years we will want to personalize our unit. It wouldn't be too difficult to change the headboard and change a few electrical outlets (Al is handy that way). Curtains are not too difficult either. So, I guess if it keeps the overall cost down, it's really ok. I do think though, it would be good if they had a more neutral palate. It sounds like from Glenn's post that maybe that is happening. A more neutral palate would make it easier to personalize it, so that it doesn't look like everyone else's.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #37
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, is the new inflatable bed/couch shorter in length than the regular pullout couch?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #38
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Steve, is the new inflatable bed/couch shorter in length than the regular pullout couch?
Absolutely! With the Air bed the trailers wall becomes the headboard when opened. All sofa beds have the sofa back stationery where as the sofa back on the air bed rolls out to help form the bed. If you take a look at how much room the sofa back takes up you'll realize the difference in how far the bed protrudes into the living space. Also when using it as a sofa it is so much more comfortable to sit on. It is not nearly firm as the sofa beds are. Another nice feature is the seat cushions do not have to be removed when being used as a bed.

And the storage compartment is a great place to store the bedding and pillows when used as a sofa.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #39
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Glenn, you said the new air bed was going to come in all Montanas and Big Skys unless the buyer didn't want it! For personal reasons, I would like for one future buyer NOT want it and get it and I will trade them my jack knife couch even up! That way both of us would be happy, or at least I would!!!!! This is an improvement we are looking at since I believe it will fit where the hide-a-bed will not, like in a 3280. We owners have made a lot of changes to our units ourselves at very little cost, and I don't count my labor. There are a lot of these improvements listed that would be a lot easier done when the Montana is on the line and we don't have to cut extra holes or run extra wires. I did notice on their web site, some of the small changes are incorperated already. They do listen!
Since the sofa back becomes part of the bed it would be at least a foot shorter than the current hide a bed sofa when opened.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #40
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Great pics Glenn! This is one item we are very serious about!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote