Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Yazoo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4650
Holding tank prep

When you buy your rig it is the onlyy time your holding tanks are really clean. Is there anything you can do to prep them to keep cleaner once you start using them? I have read about using water softener to make your tank slippery so the STUFF doesn't cling to the tank. Any thoughts on this topic?

Yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
If your Montana has a black tank flush out on it use it when ever you have the chance, If I'm at a site thet has full hook ups I will let the black tank clean out run while I'am breaking down camp, that seems to work good for me. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I put a cup of Borax in mine with about 10 gallons of water for the ride home.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We've always put a little vanish with a few flushes of the toliet to wash around for the drive home. That has always worked with our old 5er and other class C motorhomes we've had over the years. Of course we didn't have the fancy wash unit like on the Monty until now.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Use the black tank flush whenever possible. Calgon water softener when we run with ohhh 3 or 4 gallons of water. Don't ever look at the little indicator lights, stinkers never work, ignore em, then you won't worry about em. Almost NEVER use any of that blue stuff in the tank. Only exception to that is 15 days at the lake in the heat in the summer and no dumping from day 1 to day 15.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Montana_5429
Established Member

M.O.C. #5429
"Don't ever look at the little indicator lights, stinkers never work, ignore em, then you won't worry about em."

Just picked up my 2006 mountaineer yesterday, and the lights don't work at all...so...
I've heard that you should only dump the black tank when its full. How do you know when full is too full. Looking down the hole with the water running shows me nothing.
Montana_5429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve R has a great description, it is based on sound. Maybe he will happen along here and give it to you! [}

Several days should be fine, you will learn real quick.

Others will have some suggestions as well.

Congrats on the new unit! Go forth and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Hi everyone,

Again new to the board and new to the entire camping thing.

We went camping last weekend and hubby had both tanks closed until we went to leave. He let out the black water tank first and then the grey water tank. I was worried about food particles in the tanks so took pots outside and tried to get everything out of them before I washed them in the sink. Should I be so worried about food getting in the tanks if they are flushed out? I cleaned the toilet with a liquid scrub, is this ok? Why do you use Borax or Calgon Water softner for the ride home? I am thinking that the motion of riding would slosh around in the tank, but what do you do with the water after you get home?

What are some of the do and don'ts that you should or should not do regarding your holding tanks?

Lastly, what type of Toilet Tissue do you use? I have heard that you should only use the type that is recommended for RVs, is this true?
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:17 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's a really good question. I don't know of anything you can use to coat the inside of the tank to keep the stuff from sticking without need to flush the tank periodically. If someone could come up with something like that I think it could be a big seller.

As for the sound, well, as others have said, those lights are nearly worthless. When our black tank is very close to full, when you flush it makes kind of a plopping sound and the water exiting the bowl kind of plops. It looks almost like a splashback but it isn't. That's when I know I'd better dump in the next 12 hours or so. I don't know what causes the plop but suggest it's when the tank vent is partially or fully covered.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We use any tissue that is septic tank safe, that RV stuff used to have a funny smell and is very expensive.

Do a search here and include search of the archives, been discussed a LOT.

We use MORE water and less paper. I take the gently used paper and put in a trash can, much like many boaters do. This is less paper.

Some times we dump the "travel" water with Calgon just before we get home, we are lucky, there is a state park nearby, we go dump there. Others have dumps at thier houses (nice deal that!!

I wipe out large particles of food with paper towels into my trash can. I don't want to contaminate campsites, so try to keep all gray water, and food stuff off the ground, or in my rig.

Calgon makes the water slippery and helps clean the scum inside the tanks.

Use of gentle cleaners on toilets and sinks is preferred, most of this stuff is made from plastic, and it will discolor and scratch, etc.

Read your manuals, etc. and use the search engines here.

Enjoy that new rig!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I cannot find the Calgon water softener - it's not the bathtub stuff is it ?

We use Scott tissue - use it in our septic at home, too.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
VanMan,

NOOOO, not the bathtub stuff, this Calgon is in the laundry detergent aisle of your super market. If you cannot find it, look for the Borax that DHenry uses. They are the same thing. I use the liquid Calgon, personal preference, I would rather have the liquid than a powder in Montana.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use Quilted Northern. We've used other brands, too. As Carol said, if it is septic safe then it will dissolve in the black tank just fine. If unsure, put a sheet of the paper in a jar of water, close the lid, shake it. If it starts dissolving it will be ok in the rv tank.

Dirk, the black tank doesn't have to be completely full. It needs to have enough liquid to flush out the solids so they don't end up on the tank floor and solidify there. Once they solidify they are not likely coming out and eventually your tank loses capacity.

If you go somewhere for a weekend and want to dump the tank before heading home, you can run some water into the tank either by holding the toilet valve open or adding water through the black water flush. I don't know for sure how long you should let the water run (valve closed). Awhile back we had a black tank problem and I wanted that tank as full as I could get it. I connected to the black tank flush and let the tank fill. Vicki stood inside, watching the toilet to yell when she could see water in the downpipe (I had turned the Montana's water supply off). It took a full ten minutes before she yelled. Sometimes when I flush the (empty) black tank through the black tank flush valve I will count off five minutes, then pull the valve. That's another thing you can do if you have to dump the tank when it's not very full. Dump it, then flush the tank.

There may be better ways so someone jump in if you have other ideas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Vanman go to Wallie World and get the Boraxo contitioner it's in the green box it is a lot less money than Calgon, and does the same thing, I have been using it in all my holding tanks and no orders even after sitting in storage for a long period of time.

TT2
Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
I have heard that you shouldn't leave your black tank open even when hooked up. I was told it drains better if there is a lot of stuff in the tank when released. Just use bio-degradable TP. If you are not able to dump for a few days be sure and use the tank chemicals (powder or liquid). We also carry a regular waterhose(our green hose)to use in flushing as well as adding about 5 gallons for the trip home. We add a little of the cheapest liquid detergent we can find. That sloshes all the way home. Since we have a dump connection where we park the 5er getting rid of that is not problem.Even you don't store your trailer at home, the best money you can spend is putting in electricity, water and sewer where you prep the trailer. Best money I ever spent.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Only time we use toilet chemicals is when we are parked for 15 days in the summer in the state park with no dump facilities. When we are long timing on full hookups and dump the black tank every 3 to 6 days, we use NO chemical. Even in 95 to 100 degree heat in the RGV, we had no odors, with no chemicals. Remember chemicals are just that, many campgrounds frown on the use, as I have heard (some chemist can correct us on this point), that the chemicals mess up the septic sytems, as in throw off the normal biodigestion of the holding tanks. They are also expensive, so, why use if not necessary? Just our way. Happy flushing! (iooeeeeee, sicko Carol!)
Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #17
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The Calgon "stuff" is usually located in the laundry detergent area. We use the 'ol Borax stuff ourselves. I think (now you are in trouble)Scott Toilet Tissue single ply has written on the label "RV & Septic tank safe"---this is what we use and so far, no problems. There are probably other brands as well that have the safety notice printed on the labels.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know most of the holding tank stuff no longer contains the nasty chemicals they once did like formaldehyde.The good old EPA took care of that. They are now mostly Deodorizers, lubricants and some mild stuff to break down waste and they are not very effective in doing that. When we are in one place for awhile we use a tiny bit of Rid-X.. If it is safe for septic tanks it is safe for the campground tanks and Rid-X will tell you it is OK for RV use IF used in the proper proportions. You can use most anything for a deodorizer if needed. A common dish washing liquid sloshing around in all your tanks when moving between CG's will break down most light waste. Don't forget there is nasty stuff, like grease and food particles
and soap in your gray tanks . A lot of folks neglect the gray tanks and they can cause a nasty oder if not properly maintained.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #19
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
we use rid-x and one ply tissue and were full timeing it have had no problems yet
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:14 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Anybody ever tried to use Rain-ex in the black tank....esp for the trip home?

That is the windshield anti-rain stuff sold in auto stores. It is an extremly effective water softner, and causes the water to "sheet" instead of hanging on in droplets. Designed to "hold" on the windshield glass surface, so should be effective on the plastic of the holding tanks. There are no "harsh" or petroleum-based chemicals in it. Just wondering....I've never tried it, but thought it might be excellent for that purpose.

If someone can give me the ph # for the folks who make the black tanks, I'll call and ask them.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote