Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Brakes

What is going on with the brake wiring many problems, especialy with the new ford integrated brake controller. Mine started acting up after about 4000 miles of towing. Tried to get get checked at the factory while staying in Shipshewana but was refered to a local dealer who didn't have time to look at it before we had to head on. Will finaly be taking back to dealer were we purchased it and hope they fix the problem.

Bill.

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I haven't seen any situations yet where the brake controller was the problem. Every one reported was in the trailer brakes except one was in the truck wiring near the connector. What's happening is the TBC is catching and reporting errors that most controllers don't catch and others don't have ability to report. There are a couple of threads on this topic with more details than I can give you. I kind of like knowing I have a controller that will clue me to a trailer brake problem. Hopefully yours will be easy to find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
From what I understand the Ford brake controller is based on the Prodigy. If that is so, then it will catch a lot of problems that the older generation brake controllers didn't catch. I'm glad that the newer controllers have this ability and I will never tow without the rodify (or something similar) again.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:00 AM   #4
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
They called a little while ago and said they found a bad wire in the left rear tire, the clip was tight but the wire was rubing and bare! It must be from the magnet, because they are installing a new magnet and will show me the bad one when I pick it up. It will be great to have my brakes back!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 AM   #5
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
I miss spoke it was the right rear.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
This will be an ongoing problem with this brake systems in our trailers, Keystone will do the fix. But after the warranty is gone it's on us. This summer I needed to have two magnets replaced one at 2000 miles then at 4000 miles. The second I replaced and saw the problem first hand. The magnets two wire simply rub until they will short out. I had since then covered the wires to keep then away from any moving or rubbing parts. Many of us have see this, some may had not, it is a ongoing problem and pain in the side.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote