Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
tacodave
Established Member

M.O.C. #1366
Removing bugs from front cap

I've finally found a solution to the constant problem of removing bugs from the front cap of the Montana. I recently started working at a local car dealership as a shuttle driver and while talking with the new car detail guy he told me about what they use to clean the bugs off new and used cars. Its a product called "Bugzapper" and distributed by a co. named Dealer Direct. Their # is 859-233-7141. No web site on the bottle. I bought it from the delivery guy along with a special stiff block of sponge type material. I'm in the Cincinatti area and don't know if this is a national co. but check your local car dealer's lot tech. This stuff works!! Simply wet the area and spray on the bugzapper. Let stand for 30 sec. and use yellow special sponge and the bugs just slide off, no scratches. Wash down the area as usual and your done. Buy the way a gallon only cost $7 and the sponge $3. Best $10 I ever spent.

tacodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
tacodave

Sounds like a great product, I will check it out, thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Cheaper and very effective technique is dryer fabric softener sheets. Wet the cap first, then use the dryer sheets like a wash cloth, then hose off the residue. Very effective! I used them all summer on our trip to AK.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, thanks for the info. Do you know if this product is safe for the decals and for the fibreglass and finish? Some are not.

I use the dryer sheets and they work well but I'm always open to even better methods so appreciate the info.

I like ArmorAll Glass Cleaner for the windshield of my truck. It is amazing at how easily it removes the bugs. But it says nothing on the bottle about fibreglass although it does say to keep it off the paint. I emailed ArmorAll and they said they would not recommend it on fibreglass. Sure is great on windshields, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
BDana
Established Member

M.O.C. #4729
Wanted to pass this along. When I was at the Self Service Car Wash the Owner was there and it was a slow day so he started giving me tips on car detail. To help keep bugs, tar and even stone chips off the hood, is to spray some PAM on the surface and buff it out. I have done this and it does work. Am skeptical about the stone chips though but you may want
to try it for the bugs. My 3500RL never leaves the Park so I don't have to worry.
BDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
I just used the dryer sheets and they work good. There is just a few of the real messy bugs left that it didnt take off. It got about 90% of them all though.
powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, would you explain 'buff it all out' a bit more for dense people like me? Do you spray it on and wipe it off or do you put in some elbow grease like when waxing the rig? Or use a power buffer?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
BDana
Established Member

M.O.C. #4729
Hi Steve, what I meant by buffing was just distributing the PAM onto the surface. You can spray it directly onto the cloth and put it on that way if you like. Hope this helps. One other tip he mentioned was using WD40 to polish the chrome if you have chrome wheels, Also it gets onto the lug nuts so it won't freeze the lug nuts onto the rim. It works well on plastic center caps on the wheels too. He says Petroleum based products are not good which chrome polish is made from.
BDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #9
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I use a product called Simple Green, you can dilute it to almost any needs for most jobs. I keep a spray bottle handy in the van. Stop by a car wash, spray the infested area, let soak, pop in the quarters and blow the buggies away. Trust me I am not a member of P.E.T.A (People for the Ethical Treatment of Arachnids) I am more a member of P.E.T.A (People Eat Tasty Animals)
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:39 AM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
All great information guys. I just spent three hours working on my 3400 yesterday getting the bugs off and of course washing the entire coach. The front cap is a problem. I got mine really clean and then used spray wax. Hope this will help the next time. The dryer sheets do work, but those darn love bugs are a real mess. They can staing too if left on too long. Thanks again.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote