Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
black tanks

In the past Diana and I have used calgon and other water softners in the waste water tanks on our fifth wheel. Tonight when shopping we found Calgon and a product called 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster and Multi Purpose Household Cleaner. Do any of you have knowledge of this product. From the description and instructions I'm inclined to believe that it is water softner but the packaging doesn't call it that. I thought I have heard reference to borax on here before.
Thanks
Michael

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Michael,

We do use Borax in our Black tank. On our last night out we do a good cleaning of the Tank by dumping, filling with fresh water and dumping again and then putting 1 1/2 cups Borax with 2 Gals. water. Picked this up from someone on this site.

The Wife has started adding it to the Laundry and I now have trouble getting it away from Her. She loves it.

I did a Web search and learned a lot about it. Very interesting stuff. Try a Web Search.

Somewhere along the way this stuff seems to have fallen out of favor with its use around the Home. Don't know why, we sure are happy with it.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There is a Borax museum in the High Desert in California. On Hwy 58 and a plant nearby. Borax was very popular years ago but the detergent companies have done a good job of advertising to convince us their products are best. 20 mule team also references Borax because that is how it was processed years ago.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I have been usinhg the Boraxo Laundry Booster in place of Calgon. Seems to work just as well.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Yup---we use it as well There is an interesting site in Death Valley about the 20 Mule Team and some of the old mining equipment---can't remember the exact place; Funance Creek I think (well-named...!). I remember Ronald Reagan advertising the stuff on TV---I think the show was called the "20 Mule Team Boraxo Hour" or something like that---darn...that was almost 50 years ago...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Yes it's good stuff.
The name of the TV show was "Death Valley Days".
It's good to be old and still have some memories.
Mainly flushing the tanks after dumping and leaving some water in the tank to slosh around while traveling keeps the walls cleaner.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
I've been reading about Calgon but have been unable to find it in the stores here in Flagstaff. Any suggestions? I could try Boraxo, too, I've seen that at WalMart.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
As consumers we tend to buy the stuff that is advertised the most which are the calgon products. Twenty Mule Team has been around longer than any of these other products. If you were a red neck and raised up in the sticks like me you would know about Twenty Mule Team Borax. I use it in my tanks on the way home after I dump. One cup of Borax to one gallon of water. I also add one gallon of water with a half cup of cheap lemon dish soap to the same tanks. I do this if my 5ver is going to sit a while. If its possible and my black tank was under heavy use, I put a five or ten pound bag of ice cubes down the toilet, this acts as an agitator to help break up solids in the black tank while I am driveing.It will melt.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Death Valley Days.... OH WOW what a flash back you all just gave me... I used to watch that with Gramma!!! I remember the commercials and EVERYTHING!!!...
Along the same lines as this... Is it really as big a deal as the Dealer said to use only RV toilet paper??? $5 for 4 rolls seems a big insane.
How hard is it REALLY to make sure the black tank is clean (I say that in the greenest newbie fashion!!!)
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
O yea, Remember Rosemary D'Camp doing the commercials?
We too have been to the Museum in Death Valley just North of Furnace Creek. Neat place. If you go there be sure you stop at Scotty's Castle on the North end of the park.

A note about the TP for the Toilet. We have used Scotts for a long time. Get the package marked "Septic and RV safe". Available at most Walmarts and other stores.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:22 AM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I'll second the Scotts 1000 sheets.

A good test if you are ever in doubt. Take some TP place in small jar of water and shake. If tp falls apart and practically de-solves it's OK to use. Compare Charmin and Scotts and you'll see what I mean.

Buying special RV TP is not necessary, but it makes RV dealers happy when you do.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
We use the Scotts 1000 too and haven't had trouble with it either. I think it's more important to use water softner and detergent in that tank. And you have the black tank flush. What a nice feature, the days of the flush gadget through the commode are over. We are really being spoiled.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, any TP that says safe for septic tanks will work just fine, in my opinion, as azstar said. We currently are using Northern Quilted. Whenever we switch brands I do the water shake test as fla native does, just to make sure...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We found that the "Special" TP has an annoying ordor. Or, at least it did in 1984 when we purchased our first hard sided trailer. Never bought or used again. Never have had a black tank back up. Use lots of water, and the "gently used" TP, goes in the trash can, not in the black tank. Use TP that says "Safe for Septic systems". Have used Northern and other brands, even house brands, as long as septic safe.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We use the Borax also, much more cost effective than calgon and works. TP is Charmin however next trip to Wally World I will go to single layer, will do shake test tomorrow. Never had a problem with paper sticking in tube on way down and used plenty of water until trying to conserve this week since we are sitting in sister-in-laws backyard knowing we weren't dumping until Wednesday. Next time will try Carol's suggested with "gently used" paper. Some backup and sensor reads full but feel it is just paper clogging the way.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote