Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Montana_3330

M.O.C. #3330
Tow Vehicle recomendations

Can you supply a tow vehicle recomendation for a 2955 RL 5th wheel trailer. My wife and I want to buy a trailer, but have no idea what kind or what truck to buy, we know that there are many brands. But what should the truck have as minimum equipment, engine size, transmision, all the things we would need to pull this type of trailer? We have heard that a 2500 HD long bed is best, but some one said that a standard duty with air springs will drde better?

I would think that Keystone would know what tow truck would be needed to pull this trailer?

Montana_3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone will not reply here..Go to the Tow vehicle thread to get some info on tow vehicles..or go to the GM/Ford/ Dodge web site and get the spec's on the truck. It will be best to do homework on your own as you will get 1000 different and good answers here. You have decided on the 2955 RL that is listed as 9380 dry and gross at 12380.which means that you will have @11500 with all your STUFF on board. Sounds like a 3/4 ton will handle that but DO NOT listen to me..do your homework then buy what you need..there is a LOT of good information on this forum..BUT make your own decision...based on your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Do your home work. We were careful about being under trucked with the same unit you are looking at. I settled for the chevy long bed only because you get a bigger fuel tank than with the short bed. Also Dodge and Ford have came out with new motors since we got ours. I drive the Ford at work some and the new diesel sure does go compaired to the 7.3. I,m sure you wont be disappointed with what ever one you choose. Take your time, go to the truck lots at night so the vultures dont bother you looking. Take a digital camera and take a picture of the stickers. You can compare better at home, price your truck on the net, build it and all. Then go make the offer. Good Luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I reply here only because I have exactly the same Montana model as you. It is our 'pick of the litter'. We are very pleased with it. You can see by my 'stats' below that I am using a 3/4 Chevrolet Duramax with Allison. Ours is a regular 'long bed' as I use it also around the place. We have power to spare even in the mountains of Colorado. The tow/haul package is especially helpful on the downhill side of those mountains. We only use it (button select) when we are in the mountains, otherwise we tow in regular overdrive with no problems at all.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think you'll find many opinions in this forum and you'll find many different truck combinations being used successfully. My opinion is that any of the Big Three diesels and the Ford V10 and GM 8.1L V8 can do the job. So can the Dodge V10 but they're only available in used ones right now. You can successfully use shortbed or longbed although with shortbed you'll want a slider hitch, either manual or automatic. Dually or single rear wheel. Both are being used successfully and comfortably. Go with whichever you are more comfortable with. 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Likewise, both can do the job. With the larger Montanas, the pinweight can sometimes be a problem for the 3/4 ton trucks and airbags may be needed. For the 2980 it may or may not require airbags on a 3/4 ton truck. The 2980 is not one of the longer Montanas but it does have one of the heavier pinweights. You have lots of fine choices. Within the parameters set above, if I were making the choice I'd go with the truck that best meets my non-towing criteria. That assumes it also meets the towing criteria mentioned above.

By the way, the 2980 is an excellent choice. Our first Montana was a 2001 2880RL, the predecessor to your 2980. It was very similar, same basic floorplan, just a little shorter and without some of the upgrades the new ones have. We really enjoyed that Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote