Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
M2M
Established Member

M.O.C. #11264
Clean-up

I thought I would add a post regarding cleaning the outside. I have an '07 Montana 32' two slide-out. I must stay with it to keep it gleaming. I had the ill fortune of buying a model with poor graphics. The vinyl graphics began peeling about four years after purchase. It's a mess now. I am about to use a "wonder wheel" to remove the remaining graphics and glue. I use a 7" buffing wheel with different foam pad grades and three different grades of liquid I purchased a NAPA to buff out the hazing. The three bottles of compound I use are 3M products- cutting, moderate buffing and final glaze compound. I have yet to completely buff out the whole camper but what sections I've completed makes the camper look brand new. Any more ideas?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
How did the wonder wheel work with removing the adhesive. As I am still in the process of replacing graphics, my arm is getting awfully tired removing the glue by hand. The good new is once the graphics are off it's easy to install the new ones as long as you prep the surface properly. Good luck
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
M2M
Established Member

M.O.C. #11264
Traveling for a few more days. I have had minor success using adhesive remover aerosol purchased from NAPA. After the spray was applied glue residue remained but greased lightening cleaned that up but the glue ruined the rags. Small success I guess. I will let you know how the wonder wheel worked.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Has anyone tried using a heat gun and scraper?
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I have used heat gun, steam wall paper remover for the decals and acetone for the adhesive. They all work though I've had better luck with steam for decal removing. The heat gun really generates concentrated heat and you need to be careful as it really gets hot.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
M2M
Established Member

M.O.C. #11264
I found a soldering gun with attached razor blade and it worked well only leaving the adhesive. Trying out the wonder wheels soon. Another problem is how the different plastic parts harden and fall apart: vents, vent fan blades and yearly seal beads reapplied. This
are as much maintenance as a boat.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
M2M
Established Member

M.O.C. #11264
I finally had the time to work on the pitiful graphics Keystone applied to my 07 Montana 32'. Before I go any further I want to go on record saying I will not purchase another RV unless the graphics are under an extended warranty. During this removal effort I steamed remembering I read on maybe this forum or another dedicated to Keystone RV's how the manufacturer warranted the graphics for 36 months and replacement graphics cost around $1200. Lot's of talk and disappointed Montana owners who purchased apparently an 07 +- a year or so.

Anyway, I purchased a set of six "wonder wheels" and drill arbor from Amazon. I am pleased to say these "eraser" wheels work like a charm. Although I have a portion of the graphics removed and only adhesive residue remain, the wheels remove them easily using a 1/2" drill. I would recommend these bad graphics solutions to anyone with an ugly and worn vinyl graphics RV. The wheels work best with the graphics in place and nor previously removed. I angled the wheel until I found the best angle that worked.

Back to the solution to bad graphics... I will be one of the few with an all white RV rolling down the highway probably, lol!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
So did it work well on the adhesive removal separate or as part of the total decal replacement. Either way I will get a set. Thanks
How were they listed?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
M2M
Established Member

M.O.C. #11264
Wonder Wheel. Worked on both vinyl and adhesive without vinyl.