Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
python1946

M.O.C. #11274
Things I would like to see in my next 5th Wheel

Meantance free roof such as a fiber glass one piece roof.

G rated tires as standard.

Better suspension and upgraded axles

Tire pressure monitor

Back up cammera

python1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Might I add a sewer hose system that stores enough hose to reach most RV park sewers, or dump that whole set up and go back to having the connection where you could reach it from the side of the coach without crawling under. Also could you put the dump valve for the kitchen gray tank somewhere it can be reached without crawling under the kitchen slide when we are set up in a park!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
All good ideas! I'd like to see a recessed integrated handrail for the stairs going up to the bedroom. Something that wouldn't diminish the width of the aisle.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
You need to add a Lippert 6 Point Leveling System to that list. Also a propane adapter to hook a BBQ to. They should be standard on all RV. Should all have the TV set up to work on the outside cable plug in's.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Montana wants to maintain their #1 rating and the features mentioned are available in other RVs that are not as popular and are more expensive. The reasoning is that the market is smaller for feature rich RVs and most don't want to pay the cost. Features add cost at the MSRP and I think as long as they have options to get these features, then it becomes an owner preference, not a requirement that increases the cost.

Keep in mind if the factory does the work, then the cost to the customer goes WAY up. Chances are better that you can get these options cheaper after-market. I bought my Monty because it has plenty of features for the price. With the little features they've added I can't afford a new one any longer. But I can afford to use the aftermarket to add them later.

BUT, there's nothing wrong with wishing and posting. I'm pretty sure their marketing department has these items on their lists but cost is a BIG factor for not putting them on. Keep in mind, over time, they've also removed features that some of us liked to replace it with something I don't care about. It's a tough balancing act feature and cost wise.

I don't care if I have the Lippert leveling system, since I don't need to do it very often and don't want to pay that much for it. Besides, I like the Bigfoot if I was gonna one.

The odds of them putting the BBQ adapter where I could use it are slim. I would have prefer to mount my own later, where I could best use it and probably pay less if I installed it myself.

G-rated tires are nice, especially for frequent users but I try and keep the weight (and tires) well within the E rating. Apparently their safety engineers think their designs are good, too. There are four main causes of these type of failures - bad tires, ownership care, overloading, poor quality parts and only the last one is possibly their fault.

There are too many other niceties to comment about, but you get the idea. I think the most fun part of this topic will be interesting which of these features "make the list".
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One more thing to add. There should be an outside 110 outlet on the convenience center side so you can plug a heater tape in without having to use a long extension cord from either the electrical box (a problem if the 20amp plug has not been maintained) or the other side of the trailer where the outlet is.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
1. An place to store the electrical cord where it just gets pushed into a dedicated area, no need to carry the cord.
2. An additional 1/2 bath.
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
GRAPHICS THAT WILL NOT PEEL!

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Every thing you add pushes Montana closer to the top of the pyramid. Top being the most expansive the bottom being the cheapest. Montana is somewhere in the upper end. To push it higher would mean higher cost and fewer sales.
I have people ask me why I don't do something or add something to a product I make. I explain what is involved in making the changes and what it would cost. Then I ask if they would be willing to pay that. The answer is always, no.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
The most important item, IMHO, are the tires. Those Chinese tires have got to go, and good tires, capable of handling the weight of a Montana, need to be added.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I understand the Goodyear G614 load range G tires, an excellent tire, are now an option from the factory. Good start but maybe the base tire should be something other than a Chinese tire, too.

For reference in case a Keystone rep is reading this thread... here's what can and does happen sometimes due to a blowout of a Chinese tire... this is $2200 worth of damage, not counting the tire itself.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Some of us only use these things on weekends and vacations. Some of us are long timers and some of us are full timers. We all have different needs.
I always thought that Montana should offer a full time package.I would purchase things like the leveling system, G614 tires, even the Mor ryde IS system.There are many things that we need that the casual user may not want or need.

There is a manufacturing cost involved in offering a variety of options and the competition is fierce in the business.Looking at the new 3402 Big Sky it has most of the features we need as long timers and still affordable.(I think)

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
I'd like to see these features available on the Montana as they are available on the Heartland Bighorn and they are practical.
1. A small jacket closet as you enter in the 3625RE
2. A power electric reel.
3. A hand rail for the inside stairs.
4. Keyless entry
5. Solid sink cover for bathroom sink.
6. Solid cover for the kitchen stove top. (available on the Heartland Landmark)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Some of us only use these things on weekends and vacations. Some of us are long timers and some of us are full timers. We all have different needs.
I always thought that Montana should offer a full time package.I would purchase things like the leveling system, G614 tires, even the Mor ryde IS system.There are many things that we need that the casual user may not want or need.

There is a manufacturing cost involved in offering a variety of options and the competition is fierce in the business.Looking at the new 3402 Big Sky it has most of the features we need as long timers and still affordable.(I think)

Are you looking at getting a new rig?
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Last year I priced out a new rig. Here is what Keystone has come up with to get certain items. You have to buy the whole package in order to get the item you want. Some things in the package, I did not want. They should fire the guy that was setting at a desk that thought that up. He probably don't even use a camper of any kind. He probably got a bonus for dreaming it up. They lost out on a sale last year. I still have my old unit, but when I trade, I will check again and then I may have to look elsewhere if I am not happy...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote