Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2004, 04:19 AM   #1
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Roof treatment

I took my coach to my dealer today to have a few items checked out. While I was there the dealer convinced me into letting them do preventive maintenance on the roof. They clean and treat the roof with conditioner. They suggest once a year for this service at a cost of $150. Does this sound normal or did I get taken? My Montana just turned one year old.

jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I am going to do mine starting in a few days. I would give someone a 150 to do it for me. 303 Aerospace Protectant runs about 40 a gallon. Protectall roof cleaner runs around 30. That does not leave much for labor cost.

When they get done there should be no chalking on the roof. Take your hand and rub over selected sections of the roof. If it is chalky you will see the white on your hands. If they do a good job it should last over 6 months. You can check their work by checking the chalking at a later date.

Due to the hot Florida sun I can only do mine in the evening so it will be done piecemeal. For me it is a hard job but I am retired with time on my hands.

Just about finished waxing the beast, then I start on the roof.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:09 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the Dicor (rubber roof mfr) manual says all you need to do is clean it with a soap solution. Just be sure to avoid anything with any petroleum distillates at all. I use Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Recently the mfr came out with their own roof cleaning and protectant products. You can check out their products at
http://www.dicor.com/roofmaintenance.html

Frankly, $150 seems a bit high to me unless they're using some kind of new sealer I'm not aware of. Did they say what they use?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Sreigle, They just said they sell the product in the parts room. Costs about $25 for enough to do the job. They also said it would take two men about 2 or 3 hours to do the job. That got me to thinking how long it would take me alone to do it.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bottom line is if the chalking is not present after a few months then it is probably a good product.

I would like to know what that product is. Would like to try it.

The way I do it is a lot work. First clean and then treat.

Dicor used to recommend 303 but they have their own product line now.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Whoa. How times change. I checked out your link Steve and then I called Dicor.

They said I don't need that stuff for a 2000 model. Just scrub with a medium bristle brush and Dawn liquid. If you clean it properly then the chalking will go away.

In other words they prefer the Dawn over their cleaners.

Boy is this going to save me some work and money.

They also said that the protectant will work ok but it will cause chalking.

Good Post. Thanks Steve for sending me in the right direction.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks guys!! GREAT NEWS! You just made a lot of people REAL happy!!!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Very informative. Has anyone ever gone through one of those car washes for big rigs? Sounds to me this may not be a good idea.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is good news to know I only have to get my dish soap and climb the ladder. Thanks for all this good information.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
We had our Montana's exterior completely detailed from top to bottom. Washed -- and then 303 applied, including the roof. Cost was $6.00 per foot (length).
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:03 AM   #11
Montana_1311

M.O.C. #1311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsnip42

I took my coach to my dealer today to have a few items checked out. While I was there the dealer convinced me into letting them do preventive maintenance on the roof. They clean and treat the roof with conditioner. They suggest once a year for this service at a cost of $150. Does this sound normal or did I get taken? My Montana just turned one year old.
Montana_1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #12
Montana_1311

M.O.C. #1311
[quote]Originally posted by jsnip42

$150.00 sounds good to me, after the service dept. at Camping World quoted me $395.00. Guess I need to get over my fear of heights. They also recommended a UV protector.
Montana_1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, it sounds to me like a money maker for the dealer. The manual for the roof says all you need to do is clean it occasionally. They used to suggest something like Dawn dishwashing detergent and they said don't use any preservatives, etc. This is in the manual for our early 2003 model. On their website they now recommend their own products, which they recently started selling. Bottom line is in my opinion just clean it occasionally with a light detergent and a medium bristle brush. That's all I do anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote