Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
New computer won't take aircard

We went to Cingular today to purchase an aircard for hubbys new computer. He just bought a new Dell Inspiron that will not take the air card. Apparently his laptop needs to take an express card that isn't even on the market yet.

It seems that these cards won't even be available until sometime later this year. We stopped by CompUSA and the tech guy told us that all of the computer are coming with this same feature.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to put something on a computer that you can't use yet. Plus you don't have the option of using the older type of aircard.

Anyone else run into this problem yet?

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Driftwoodgal,

I've sent an inquiry to my Dell representative. I buy between 2-3M a year in Dell products at my job and so maybe I can get an answer for you. I've asked if, first it was true, and second, if so, what is an ETA. Even though it's not the model I buy, I buy only Latitude and Optiplex (business models) she should be able to get an answer for me. I'll let you know when I hear something.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Yes, I think it is true. A friend here in this little town just bought a new Dell notebook computer and found that none of his existing PC cards would even fit a slot. When he tried to get help from Dell to purchase an "express card" to read his digital camera memory card, they could not help him. He has perfectly good PC cards that are useless in his new notebook and had to buy a USB multi card reader.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The computers are in transition. The new slot is for an Express card, I believe and they will be out this summer. When the new computers come out they are equipped with the slot for the future. There is a solution for using your old card and that is the KR1 router which accepts most of the aircards except for the 5740. It also gives you a wireless system for two or more computers. Cost...around $280.00 with occasional rebates.

The best source for information on aircards is Booster-Antenna.com. There are two EVDO forums there and the company will help you with compatibility issues on your computer. We have two computers that are incompatible with the Kyocera 650 that we purchased but we both use the wireless system because we bought the KR1 which accepts our aircard. We also have a booster antenna and have had a great connection in Alabama, Tenn., and Texas.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Apparently it isn't just Dell that is doing this all of the brands are such as HP etc. The guy at CompUSA knew exactly what we were talking about and explained that all of the new computers that are being sold have the same problem.

I love all of our Dell products, but why does an industry sell something before components are available to the public? I guess this goes back to the days of the zip drive Vs the CD. I paid money to upgrade my computer with a zip drive only to see it outdated by the CD drive.

Mac,

Thanks for the help with checking with your rep. I will await your post before I stomp my foot again. I am sure that things can be worked out but it is frustrating when you aren't a techie.

Now give me a flint on an island I can start a fire for you

Old 06-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Quote:
quote:
Now give me a flint on an island I can start a fire for you
I'll keep that in mind, you never know, we may be on Survivor or something someday.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was just on Dell's website two night's ago. I pulled up a eMachine laptop, and then noticed this "little blurb" about the Express Card. It kicked me right off the web site. I thought Dell was the only one doing this, so my initial thought was, "I'm not buying one of these Dells." THAT is a major marketing blunder. Don't care what anyone else is doing, when I am shopping for something that is compatible with an aircard, I immediately dismissed Dell as an option. I don't think they can afford too many people getting that thought in there head - even if it's a misunderstanding.

I don't know what an express card is, but Dell (and any others) should have been able to figure out an interim solution...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
The "express card" is comparable to the PCMCIA cards which have been standard for some years now. Both fit into a "slot", usually on the side of a notebook computer. They look almost identical in size and shape, BUT the express card uses an entirely different physical connection with the computer. An express card slot will not accept a PCMCIA card. I recently read a review of a Toshiba notebook in "Maximum PC" magazine which includes the following information:

"The G35 includes both PC and ExpressCard slots. We dinged Dell for jettisoning the PC Card slot in its E1705, and reader feedback backs us up. PC builders need to realize that there are just too many people out there with PC Cards to be ignored. They wouldn't drop PCI from a desktop machine, would they?"
Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
David, I'm sure this is some type of sick marketing ploy to force people to buy new cards, especially since they are not advertizing the change. People find out they have an incompatible card and they're forced to buy a new one.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
If I am understanding the guy at CompUSA it is just like the Zip Drive vs the CD Rom. I am not sure if I read it here or heard it someone where but the question was asked "Why don't all machines read code the same way?" The reply was "Then you won't spend as much money."

He said that the Express Card would be used for more things than a phone card. We will just have to wait and see. I hope that they come out with the new cards soon so hubby can use his laptop in the Monty.

This makes our 5th Dell and we have always been happy with them. I just wish we had known about the problem earlier. I guess we would have still ordered it and would be waiting just like we are now.

On a positive note we won't be buying a PC card that will be outdated soon
Old 06-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think that the Booster-Antenna site will keep you abreast of the availability of the Express Card if you check out that site. They even have a notification list, I think.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Just for the record the PC cards which are being replaced by the ExpressCards also have many different possible functions. For example: media card readers for digital camera memory cards, modems, wireless network cards, etc.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When I bought my new Dell XPS MT 40 I was well aware of the Express Card - it said it right on the configuration informatiion. I think the computer industry got ahead of the telephone industry or maybe the telephone industry was to slow. i use WiFi when available and Verizon's Mobile Office when not. My laptop has built in wireless.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I remember correctly, a friend of ours got an aircard for his new Dell from Verizon.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Charlie
The "Express Card" is not yet available. Not all of the Dell's or other computers have the Express Card slot.
Happy trails...................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

You might want to check out www.expresscard.org
They have a product announcement email list that is very good.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote