Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
DIFFICULT BLACK TANK QUESTION

I have been told that in the winter [cold & freezing] that I can use the bathroom if I pour window washer down toilet to wash pee down and ,the other stuff can I do this and still drain tank out the next day?? shouldn't the window washer keep things loose so as to drain tank ....like to use the montana in winter but walking back to house maybe a pain

anyone have experance doing this?

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I have used RV Anti Freeze. Only do this when traveling south during real cold weather. When I get down far enough south where its not freezing. I flush out the black tank real good.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can you tell us a bit more? Are you staying in the Montana with the furnace running or are you just using it briefly without the furnace? If without the furnace, is it winterized with antifreeze? If so, be sure to put a little antifreeze in the toilet bowl to keep the seal from drying out when done.

We live in ours all year including temperatures down to minus 5 fahrenheit (last winter) and use our entire water system. We dealt with some frozen water lines a time or two but hopefully I have that solved for this winter.

If you can tell us more how you are using the Montana in cold weather we will try to help.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Well I use the Montana somtimes on weekends during the winter cause it's in my back yard.... we will be running the heat while hanging out in it-- it IS WINTERIZED ;and we use the heat, now I think the bottom is heated with liveing room heat but when useing the black tank while in it we just pour window washer down and do our thing now this will be able to dump the next day with no heat in the unit????
Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ok, unless you think you are going a lot in there, the question really is, HOW much of the tank am I filling up? We used to winter camp, with NO way to dump till March, years ago. We used the tank as little as possible, no TP in there, and tried to get to the bathrooms for the serious useage. But, did do the pee thing in there, and never really had a problem with it. After the weekend of skiing and sledding we would put some more RV antifreeze (NOT window washer stuff, that is for your truck! HA HA) in the trap, turn off the heat and go home. In March we dumped it. Gonna take a lot of peeing to fill 38 gallons of black tank, eh??? Why do you feel you need to dump every weekend??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Welcome back Carol. You've been missed. Hope you had a good trip.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Country guy......you have a point, if I just#1 it shouldn't fill up for a long time I 'll just do that and pour in rv anti -freeze.......just don't want to split the black tank.

as far as why I dump all the time I guess it is like flushing all the time
Old 11-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hmmm! Where I grew up in Wisconsin we had a little one room school house and two small buildings out back. As long as you brushed the frost and snow away you could do #1 or #2 without ever flushing. The only problem was we should never put our mouth on the pump handle (Somebody told me that). Thats still probably a good rule despite all of the rest of our "progress".
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I had those too where I grew up in rural Kansas. Really makes you appreciate all this modern stuff, huh?
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #10
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Filling 38 Gallons every weekend, hum... I guess it depends on how much beer you can drink in the winter
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would think if you poured a couple of gallons of rv antifreeze down the toilet when you winterize the rig you could then use water to flush with. When turning the furnace off, pour a little antifreeze in the bowl to keep the seal from drying out. Even if the water decides to freeze in the tank, so long as it's not very full it shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of room for ice to expand in there. This is just a guess. I've not tried it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quoteave e Victoria

Hmmm! Where I grew up in Wisconsin we had a little one room school house and two small buildings out back. As long as you brushed the frost and snow away you could do #1 or #2 without ever flushing. The only problem was we should never put our mouth on the pump handle (Somebody told me that). Thats still probably a good rule despite all of the rest of our "progress".
Dave, I'll bet that wasn't a $40K outhouse, though...

Good point, though, on the pump handle... I'll try to remember that! Anyone younger than 45 know what a pump handle is???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote