Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Tire questions - only about Michelin

I have specific questions about Michelin LT tires.

My 2006 Ford F-250 4x4 currently uses LT265/70R17 load range E. Looking at the Michelin tire site, I see that LTX A/T2 (All Terrain) and LTX A/S (All Season) are available for LTs in my size.

I am leaning toward LTX A/S for my next run of tires for the TV since I am rarely off-road. What concerns should I have if I go off-road with these?

I have heard mention of LTX M/S in this forum but don't recall the application, but I did not find it available in my size as an LT. Did I not find an M/S equivalent? Do I miss anything using an A/S and not an M/S.

My driving habits are 99% paved driving, inclement weather only about 10% or less, snow/ice is rare. I have 4x4 and chains but have not had to use them for snow/ice. Is there another consideration I should disclose?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Under the driving conditions you describe, the LTX A/S will do just fine Art. The LTX M/S would be my first choice but as you said, they do not make it in an LT load range E, the size your truck requires. The LTX A/T2 is a good tire and isn't as "all terrain" as the name implies but I haven't sold/installed enough of them to give you an experienced opinion. They ARE a good looking tire and the ones I have sold seem to be holding up very well.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks LonnieB,

In my area, these tires are running about $200 each.

I plan to keep my existing Goodrich Rugged Terrain as an LT265/70R17 spare. It is not in the rotation cycle, was used for 400 miles of highway driving and other than keeping the air at 75 it is stored underneath my truck. However, I have not checked the date code but what's the age I should worry about?

I just thought of something else. I had considered going to a larger tire, but not off-road, climbing cars large. With 17" wheels, the existing tires "look" real small on my long bed 4x4 but I am not a fan of the low profile 20"-24" wheels on a truck.

For my truck and driving conditions, what would be the largest tire that does not require modifications to the suspension, that is, JUST a tire change and nothing else that meets the same load and use requirements? If there isn't one, that's okay, but if I go with a larger tire, I will change the spare.

My Brother in law had your truck with an Auto Trans and put 16" wheels and a larger tire size but I want to keep my existing wheels. What size tire is on your truck?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, I would LOVE to have the Michelin Tires you are thinking about! I have read nothing but good things about them and will be shopping for them next year when my stockers need to be replaced. I have a set of extrememly agressive Firestones that I put on in the winter time (we're in Michigan after all), but for the rest of the year, the Michelins look great and again, from what I've read, wear like iron.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Art, I'm not ignoring your last question about going to larger tires, still in the research stage. The largest you MAY be able to go without suspension changes would be 285/70R17. The problem is finding a tire in this size with the proper load range and highway tread. There are several brands available in the correct load range with agressive tread though.
The tires on my truck are LT265/75R16E Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. It came from the factory with LT235/85R16E Generals. As soon as the Generals wore out, (about 30000 miles) I changed brands and size.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Depending on the configuration of the TV, if you increase the wheel/tire size, while maintaining 6" clearance off the TV's tail, then the Monty's nose will ride high. Our dually suspension is tall to start with. Is riding nose-high an issue?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Art, I am not a tire expert by no means. I do read and take into account what LonnieB writes because that is what his job is, tires. I just wanted to tell you that I have used Michelins for a long time. I have used M/S when I use to hunt out in West Texas and on my last pick-up I was using A/T. Art, you do pay more, but I look at it, you get what you pay for. The Michelins I have used lasted a long time on all my vehicles. I feel safe knowing they are on my wife's car and on our Montana. My new truck came with Generals, and not putting them down, but when they wear out I will replace them with Michelins. Caution on changing tire size, like Tom stated, it could set your truck up higher and change how your Montana sits, and your speedometer might be off a little. Just wanted to give you my opinion. Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Sorry Art, I said Tom stated, but I should have said Dave. My mistake. Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I thought of the larger tire for cosmetic reasons only, thinking they would look better than tires I have now. But I shall remain with the size I have now so I don't have to recalibrate the speedo or change the nose height of the RV when towing.

Thanks all, I will be saving my nickels and dimes for Michelin LTX A/S LT265/70R17 LRE tires. My stock BF Goodrich Rugged Trails keep racking up the miles, currently at 52,000. My truck use has slowed way down and these are taking their time wearing out now.

On edit: Changed tire size from R19 to R17 - that was a typo. My wheels are 17" not 19".
Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Changing to a larger diameter tire will also make your automatic transmission work harder. Especialy when starting out on up hills and when backing up.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Clutch makes a good point. It's like changing the driveshaft ratio. Increasing tire diameter will increase mileage, decrease torque, braking power and indicated speed (you'll be going faster than you think).
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
As to the tire date code, it's the four digits after the DOT tire code. The first two digits of the tire date code correspond to the week of manufacture. The second two digits are the last two digits of the year. For example, 3508 would mean the tire was manufactured in the 38th week of 2008.

For your information, I now understand that it's against the law in Britain to sell tires over six (6) years old (prior to this week in 2003). US DOT doesn't have any thing like that yet, but when you go to get a new set of tires, watch the date and ask for tires as "young" as possible.

John in Wichita.
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hi, John in Wichita.

Yup, we were discussing how to decipher this in another topic - did you mean to post here? This topic was just about specific Michelin tires.

The date code is actually the LAST set of four digits representing what you describe. The DOT code can have 8 or more characters after the letters DOT, representing place of manufacture and other stuff but like you said the last four digits describe the week and year of manufacture as two digits each. If the tires were made prior last century I believe it was only a 3 digit code.

I am not sure if it's law, but I believe there is some kind of age requirement precluding the sale of a tire in the U.S. as well, I just don't know the details.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Caseclosed
Established Member

M.O.C. #8423
I have the LT 245/75R16E1 Michelin LTX M/S on my 2005 Chevrolet Duramax 20,000 miles and you can't see any wear at all they are very quite compared to the set of Goodyears and the set of BFG's that I wore out.
Caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Excellent, but the M/S is not offered in the size I need. From what I am hearing the A/S is as good, so I'm looking forward to a set of those. All Michelin LTX tires are getting good reviews in many sites I visited. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Art, those tires you are looking at are the stock ones on my 04.5 dodge 2500 4x2. I am on my second set and will need to replace them in the next 10,000 miles as I am approuching 100k on the truck. The set I have now I bought thru Wall-Mart and they service them for me. I can not complain about them at all.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used to run Goodyear Wranglers on my truck but I never was able to get the serviceability out of them that I desired. Since switching to Michelin's I've been very satisfied. However, I'm not just a little bit biased. When you have good luck with something, you usually stick with it. On the Montana, we have Bridgestone Duravis tires.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I'm running 18 inch Michellins on my 06 King Ranch, but my truck came with 18 inch wheels. I also have Michellins on my wifes Camry. I've had better luck with Michellin tires than any other brand.

Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
I just recently purchased 4 LT 265/75 R16's Load Range E LTX MS

Basically I was forced to. Our 2002 F250 pulling a 2008 3400RL had Michelines from 2004....getting a little long in the tooth but had great tread. Went shopping one day and when we got home my DW says..."Uh Oh...you'd better look at this." (I hate it when she says Uh Oh..) She pointed out a black 3" long, with no head, sheet rock screw sticking out of the right rear tire. Hoping that it hadn't penetrated all the way through....yeah...right...it had. I immediately drove to our local Ted Weins tire store to have it fixed. Nope, couldn't fix, it was in the side wall. Couldn't replace the one tire...that model wasn't made anymore. Could have bought two new ones for the rear only....but the tires were five years old.

And so for a tiny little screw I had to purchase four new tires for $1,153.54. And I didn't even get kissed.

Love the new tires though and we feel very safe to continue riding on Michelines.
OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote