Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
ontheroad10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 29
M.O.C. #17252
Towing with a 4x4

I have determined it is time to upgrade my 03 F350 diesel. Looking at the 2018 XLT, but while shopping it appears my only option for a newer f350 is a 4x4 which adds about 4 inches of bed height. My rig is a 2013 3100 Rl which is about 60 inches measured from ground to front cab. The height of newer 4x4 is about 57 inches, leaving about 3 to 4 inches of cab clearance. How do you 4x4 truckers handle the low clearance?
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
DQDick
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Council Grove
Posts: 14,458
M.O.C. #11455
Not sure when, but the newer Montanas appear to ride higher, something to do with the springs I believe.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 3,776
M.O.C. #2283
A 4x4 isn’t your only opinion. All of these trucks are made in 2x4. Go to Ford’s build web site and build what you wont then go to your dealer and have them order it. You can get a truck exactly like you wish for invoice price. There are some incentives on the XLTs now. I just ordered a 150. From the time the order is placed it takes about 2 months or a little longer to get your truck. The best thing about ordering one is you pay for only what you need without paying for stuff you can’t even find.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
I think you will find the 2x4 bed is same height as 4x4 on new model trucks. This does support my argument that it is difficult in some areas of the country to find a 2x4 on the lots. They are that unpopular. Next to impossible to sell a used one in Arkansas! Take that all you 4x4 haters!!

There really isn’t a significant difference in ride , height or fuel mileage between a modern 2x4 and a 4x4!!!!! There was 20 years ago but not today. I have yet to hear a single good argument to not go 4x4 on a modern truck. That is the reason you can’t find them on the lots in several areas of the country.

Only people I know buy them around here are big city fleet delivery trucks that have the very basic trim package you know manual windows and AM only radios (IE:they want the cheapest thing they can get for delivery drivers to use. Think auto parts store delivery)

Get the 4x4 you won’t regret it! You will more than make up the initial cost difference on the back end and will have 4 x4 for any UNEXPECTED situation.

Haven’t heard of anyone ever having issues towing due to having 4x4 but I have heard more than one “dang I wish I had 4x4”. Pulled my share of 2x4 vehicles out of a bad spot!
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
scottz
Montana Master
 
scottz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 534
M.O.C. #19755
Not sure if the 2018 is different, but I think they might be. No problem with bed/hitch height on my 2014 F350 4x4. I did have to lower my B&W hitch to the lowest position. My Montana still tows just slightly nose high.
__________________
Scott, Alta & Kodiak, Navy Family
2017 Montana 3160RL, Legacy, Onan 5.5Kw, Solar
2014 Ford F350 6.7 PSD
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
CarWin
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Thornville
Posts: 174
M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Not sure when, but the newer Montanas appear to ride higher, something to do with the springs I believe.
Was stated to me by Keystone rep at the RV show in January in Columbus...They added 1" or so total travel height with the new suspension thus eliminating 30% of the bounce in the rear of the new 5`rs.
__________________
Darwin & Carla Ransom
2018.5 3701LK Montana
2016 2500HD Duramax
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
I do think ALL new model trucks are taller than they were several years ago?
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Haysville
Posts: 3,349
M.O.C. #3085
Dear mtlakejim ... despite your drum beating for 4X4's ... here's my valid argument ... some of us don't need one. We don't need the added price ... we don't need the added pile of parts to wear or break ... and the bed height is a bit taller even on today's trucks. Different strokes for different folks ...
dieselguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 4,367
M.O.C. #6433
According to Ford specs, the F350 4x4 bed is 3" higher than the 4x2. And the 2018 is about 1.5" higher than my 2012.

I think the prevalence of 4x4 on dealer's lots has more to do with profit than what the customer wants. Here, for every 4x2 on the lot there are 8-10 4x4 (excluding basic work trucks). Although they will order anything you want, most buyers want it now, not 8 weeks to order one. And they are more likely to buy that shiny higher price tag fully loaded 4x4 sitting on the lot even though they likely will hardly use 4x4. Rarely get enough ice/snow here to justify one. And yet I, as well as most others on the road, have one due to the fact of availability.
__________________
Bill & Patricia
& Molly (our 11 yr old Golden)
2007 3075RL
2012 F350 SRW CC LB FX4 6.7
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Dear mtlakejim ... despite your drum beating for 4X4's ... here's my valid argument ... some of us don't need one. We don't need the added price ... we don't need the added pile of parts to wear or break ... and the bed height is a bit taller even on today's trucks. Different strokes for different folks ...
The original poster wanted to know if there would be any issues with towing with 4x4. My answer is decidedly NO. Based on the fact most of us on here have 4x4!

You can argue that there are valid reasons to have a short bed SRW if it is your daily driver. But the only people I see with a valid argument against 4x4 Park their trailers 90% of the time and always on a paved site with paved roads everywhere they go and what fun is that? Might as well sticks and bricks....

I or one of my fellow 4x4 owners will be standing by when you find yourself in that UNEXPECTED situation where your 2x4 comes up short! It happened to me (back in the day when 2x4 was more common).Never ever again!

I don’t consider the lower initial cost a valid argument since special order costs more and you more than make up your investment on the back end when you sell the truck.

There might be a very slight difference in maintainer cost but it is very small over life of truck and just one tow bill will eat that difference! But then I tend to trade every 2-3 years. If your keeping vehicles longer then maybe it is a more valid point.

We can agree to disagree because I just don’t see a valid argument to not go 4x4 on modern trucks! Major corporate fleet managers agree and they buy thousands of vehicles. I’ll take the advice of those experts over anyone else any day! But then there is the FACT that the dealers themselves don’t stock them at least where I live which tells me I am not alone in my assessment! Dealers stock what sells and 4x4 outsells 2x4 by 20 to one in my area. Virtually no one buys 2x4 in my neck of the woods.
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan
 
Overlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: gresham
Posts: 466
M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Dear mtlakejim ... despite your drum beating for 4X4's ... here's my valid argument ... some of us don't need one. We don't need the added price ... we don't need the added pile of parts to wear or break ... and the bed height is a bit taller even on today's trucks. Different strokes for different folks ...
Say what you will, 4X4 has been of benefit to me several times while towing the 5er. I have taken my 3605 places where others would never dream of taking a 38.5' long 5er.

But, you are right, the vast majority of 5er owners would likely never need 4X4.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
According to Ford specs, the F350 4x4 bed is 3" higher than the 4x2. And the 2018 is about 1.5" higher than my 2012.

I think the prevalence of 4x4 on dealer's lots has more to do with profit than what the customer wants. Here, for every 4x2 on the lot there are 8-10 4x4 (excluding basic work trucks). Although they will order anything you want, most buyers want it now, not 8 weeks to order one. And they are more likely to buy that shiny higher price tag fully loaded 4x4 sitting on the lot even though they likely will hardly use 4x4. Rarely get enough ice/snow here to justify one. And yet I, as well as most others on the road, have one due to the fact of availability.
I agree that newer trucks are taller. Or maybe I am getting older?

In our area we don’t get much snow either and I would not tow in snow if at all avoidable. We do however have rain and related MUD. You never know when an UNEXPECTED rain shower will pop up and cause an issue pulling out of a campsite

My old adage holds true. Buy 4x4 for the same reason you wear a seat belt for the UNEXPECTED.

But for us we also buy it because we pursue sports and work (kayaking, fishing, hunting plus a farm) that take us into wet areas.

Dealers stock what sells and that is 4x4 around our neck of the woods
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
pyoung47
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Holts Summit
Posts: 14
M.O.C. #20913
Your concerns are warranted. I would not buy a 2x4. I found a F 350 with 17 inch wheels this reduced the height significantly. I have a 2016 and the 2017's and later are higher. PIA
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
One other thing my 4x4 dually is a Tradesman level trim package. I focus my dollars on what really matters not the “shiny” fluff. But to be honest I prefer cloth seats and especially vinyl flooring. When you go where we venture carpet doesn’t make sense. Only thing I didn’t get I wish I had was the cargo cam (it has the backup cam) but for the cost dif to the trim level to get that I can turn my head to look at hitch or use rear view mirror!
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #15
AZ Traveler
Montana Master
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 713
M.O.C. #20477
There is no choice that is right for everyone. That is why there are multiple options.

As so often happens we have gotten off track - the question from ontheroad is how to handle the low clearance on his older rig and not the pros and cons of 2 wheel vs 4 wheel.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie
2018 Montana 3160RL
2012 F-250
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Fan
 
JABURKHOLDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cuyahoga Falls
Posts: 345
M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
The original poster wanted to know if there would be any issues with towing with 4x4.
I beg to differ. The OP is concerned about the higher bed height and how much clearance he will have between the truck bed rails and the cap of the RV. He is asking anyone with the newer trucks if they have a problem with that. So far no one has answered that question. This thread has turned into a 4x4 argument not relevant to the OP.

To the OP, I believe an older posting addressed this and there were no concerns. At least that is what I recall. Sorry I can't personally answer that as my truck is a 2016 and does not have the higher bed.

Also to the OP. Sorry this thread has taken a left turn and is leaving you with no answer. As soon as someone mentions 4x4, all the opinions come out and the original question seems to get lost in the melee.

Endeavor to persevere
__________________
ATC/NAC Jerry A. Burkholder, USN (RET.)

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 18,672
M.O.C. #2839
The 4X4 was not all that more expensive when it came down to the final negotiated price and based on may years of pulling Rv's although we do not off road there were many times we needed 4X4. We have used the 4X4 very few times over the years but we sure needed it when we used it.

We pulled two Montana's with a Long, bed crew cab dually ,06 3400 and the 13 3402.The first truck was a 05 V-10 2X4 and this truck is the same truck but 4X4 and diesel.We changed nothing when we changed trucks

if the 4X4 is a cost issue one can do without it.In our part of the country Northern Ohio most trucks are 4X4 as we get plenty of snow.
richfaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I beg to differ. The OP is concerned about the higher bed height and how much clearance he will have between the truck bed rails and the cap of the RV. He is asking anyone with the newer trucks if they have a problem with that. So far no one has answered that question. This thread has turned into a 4x4 argument not relevant to the OP.

To the OP, I believe an older posting addressed this and there were no concerns. At least that is what I recall. Sorry I can't personally answer that as my truck is a 2016 and does not have the higher bed.

Also to the OP. Sorry this thread has taken a left turn and is leaving you with no answer. As soon as someone mentions 4x4, all the opinions come out and the original question seems to get lost in the melee.

Endeavor to persevere
To your point. I have a new 4x4 1 ton diesel dually long bed with OEM Puck hitch. Zero issues with 5er to truck bed clearance!

I suspect the op appreciates the additional relevant discussion. He seemed to be on the fence about going 4x4. I just wanted to make sure he knows he can go that route without any worries and in fact there are several good reasons to go 4x4!
My comments were for his Benifit and no one else’s.

“Endeavor to persever” really didn’t work out to well for the Indians.....

So we done with this for a while?
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
AZ Traveler
Montana Master
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 713
M.O.C. #20477
I believe he needs to hear from someone with a shorter rig like his and how they handled hooking it up to one of the taller new trucks.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie
2018 Montana 3160RL
2012 F-250
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master
 
mtlakejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bee Branch
Posts: 1,127
M.O.C. #20693
I had a 32’ before the 42’. Towed the smaller trailer with both 4x4 3/4 ton and 4x4 1ton.
__________________
James & Irene Wilson
Bee Branch, AR.
2017 Ram 1 ton diesel duallyCrew Cab/Long Bed
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.