Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
My statement about the tire seminar endorsement of the Beast was meant as an informational item only and not an endorsement by me. Not another topic for dispute or argument.....I didn't think I was being carried away, only attempting to share information.
I meant that in a general way. I can see where you might be offended , poor choice of words. I apologize . Let me rephrase that. "WE" should't get carried away until they have proven themselves.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
Well I had to put Goodyear Endurance on because my rims are rated for 80psi. I could of also bought rims & tires but $$ only goes so far. I was also installing disk breaks and wet bolts all at the same time. I'm retired but I don't full-time. My HC is 9820 empty, 12000lbs full.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #23
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
Well I had to put Goodyear Endurance on because my rims are rated for 80psi. I could of also bought rims & tires but $$ only goes so far. I was also installing disk breaks and wet bolts all at the same time. I'm retired but I don't full-time. My HC is 9820 empty, 12000lbs full.
What year HC had only 80 psi rims? My 2016 has the higher PSI wheels.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
My understanding from looking at the Brochure for HC is the rims are G rated but the tires are F. They may be putting cheaper tires on, but do not force you to buy new rims when upgrading. That said, the Montana rep at the dealer told me they always reserve the right to make substitutions to their specs at any time.

They will not let a vendor hold up production if they can avoid it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #25
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
2014-2015.Part way through 2015 they made many changes to 305rl.I have the older style.part of the upgrade was axles.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #26
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I saw a new Montana at Quartzsite last month at the rv show and it had an Rainer g rated tire and another new Montana had an Sailun. This might of been one of those times when Montana ran out of Sailuns and installed the Rainer so as not to stop production. Some people might not like the Sailun tire on account of the cheap price compared to the Goodyear.I bought Sailuns nearly 4 years ago and i can buy 4 new Sailuns today cheaper than i did then. Sailuns now have a very good track record and have them compared to the much more expensive Goodyear is a great compliment to the Sailuns.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #27
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I saw a new Montana at Quartzsite last month at the rv show and it had an Rainer g rated tire and another new Montana had an Sailun. This might of been one of those times when Montana ran out of Sailuns and installed the Rainer so as not to stop production. Some people might not like the Sailun tire on account of the cheap price compared to the Goodyear.I bought Sailuns nearly 4 years ago and i can buy 4 new Sailuns today cheaper than i did then. Sailuns now have a very good track record and have them compared to the much more expensive Goodyear is a great compliment to the Sailuns.
Several people have complained that their new Montanas were delivered with Rainier tires when all the ones on the lots had Sailuns on them. It was for the reason you mentioned. They ran out of Sailuns. After they complained, Keystone sent each of them 5 Sailun S637s and paid to have them put on. They've been showing up on Montanas over the last year periodically and Tredit Tire is a msjor supplier to the industry now. In years past, they've supplied tires for boat, horse, car and flatbed trailer industries. My partner just completed the order of their new Montana yesterday and asked specifically for the rep to be called and asked for Sailuns. I kind of understand where they are coming from as the Sailuns have a great track record and the verdict is still out on the Rainiers.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #28
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
I had Triangles on my SOB I just traded. I replaced them after about 25K miles and they were at the end. I put Maxxis on due to the ratings. (They are the only brand of 10 ply tires I would own). I do believe, however, the main item to long tire life is maintenance. Checking the air pressure religiously and leaving a little room for heat expansion. My HC weighs 10K on the axles. I run my 10 ply at 75 psi to allow for increased pressure from heat. Since 75 psi still gives you 3500 lb capacity per tire I still have a good safety factor on weight. I forget what brand are on the Montana HC but they have a 5 year warranty (If the company has that kind of faith in them I am good with them). When I really start hitting the road though, I will probably step up to the Saliuns. A personal thought, if you are replacing tires, keep the best of the takeoffs, buy a wheel for it and make it a second spare. ($40 for the wheel). I had a friend of mine blow a tire on a smaller trailer 14 inch. To get home with a spare, he roamed around town near the campground and ended up spending $140 for just the tire (14 inch mind you) so he could make sure if he had another blow out he would have a spare. Mine fits perfectly in the truck bed between the hitch and the bulkhead
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #29
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I meant that in a general way. I can see where you might be offended , poor choice of words. I apologize . Let me rephrase that. "WE" should't get carried away until they have proven themselves.
Apology not necessary, I wasn't offended, but after I read your comments I could see how mine could be construed as an endorsement of the tire and I just wanted to clarify.
We are currently ENJOYING our Montana in the sun of Florida. Life is good.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #30
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by greische View Post
. A personal thought, if you are replacing tires, keep the best of the takeoffs, buy a wheel for it and make it a second spare. ($40 for the wheel). I had a friend of mine blow a tire on a smaller trailer 14 inch. To get home with a spare, he roamed around town near the campground and ended up spending $140 for just the tire (14 inch mind you) so he could make sure if he had another blow out he would have a spare. Mine fits perfectly in the truck bed between the hitch and the bulkhead
I went to Tredit Tire and bought an extra wheel ($37) and put a Sailun G637(Goodyear G614s weren't available here for a few months) on it as a spare and never travel more than an hour away from home without it, until 2 weeks ago. My reasoning is that when one fails, by the time you get the rig stopped in a safe place, the other tire may have been damaged as it is carrying the load of two for a while. That's why I carry two spares.
Along the same topic, I found on the Lippert website where you can buy another spare tire carrier and winch for under $200. If I can find the room either in front of the factory one(watching for axle clearance) or behind it(watching for ground clearance) I may buy one and install it as I don't like carrying it in my truck bed.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #31
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I went to Tredit Tire and bought an extra wheel ($37) and put a Sailun G637(Goodyear G614s weren't available here for a few months) on it as a spare and never travel more than an hour away from home without it, until 2 weeks ago. My reasoning is that when one fails, by the time you get the rig stopped in a safe place, the other tire may have been damaged as it is carrying the load of two for a while. That's why I carry two spares.
Along the same topic, I found on the Lippert website where you can buy another spare tire carrier and winch for under $200. If I can find the room either in front of the factory one(watching for axle clearance) or behind it(watching for ground clearance) I may buy one and install it as I don't like carrying it in my truck bed.
I was looking to see if my carrier that came on my HC would support 2 tires. AFter review, I think it would be pushing the capacity of the carrier. i was debating buying another like you but I think I am just going to leave mine in the bed.
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #32
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
As for as inflating tire to 75psi instead of 80psi for exspansion, the tires can safely be inflated to the maximum 80psi cold safely as the tires are expected to increase several pounds above the 80psi when hot.The safety factor is already built in to allow for increase in pressure.My Sailuns are inflated to 110psi and when hot can increase 15 or more pounds above the 110psi with no worry.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #33
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
And many were not so lucky, as the post above

Hi

Sidewall damage can’t be blamed on the tire!

I have 2 sets of G614 one on the Montana and one on an equipment trailer. I have 75,000 plus miles on the Montana tires 100,000 plus on the Montana and an unknown number of miles on the equipment trailer because I am not the only one using it. The equipment trailer tires and wheels came off of the Montana when I put the 110 psi wheels on it at 25,000 miles.

The equipment trailer is commonly operated at a much higher weight than the Montana no problems with the tires on either trailer.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #34
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
My rims are G rated, 110 psi. Tires are Ranier E rated, and they are junk. Wish I had known when I took delivery.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #35
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
My rims are G rated, 110 psi. Tires are Ranier E rated, and they are junk. Wish I had known when I took delivery.
My partner and her husband just ordered a new 3790RD and told the dealer they would not accept it if it has anything other than Sailuns on it. Lots are being shipped with the Rainier tires now. After there experience with China bombs, they aren't playing around.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #36
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I purchased one off the lot and saw the tires were Rainier. Took that into consideration of my offer. Before picking it up my tire dealer ordered Sailun tires. Picked it up and 43 miles to the tire shop/ Tire dealer gave me $30 for each of the 5 Rainier tires.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #37
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I don't have as big a trailer as a lot of you; my GVW is 14,000 for my 35 1/2 2 slide 3000RK, but I will never own another Good Year tire. After having one of the Marabombers blowout after approx 15,000 miles, if Good Year is willing to put their name on tire as crappy as that I won't do business with them again.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #38
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
Bought my 2013 Montana June 2017. The Goodyear Marathon's were 4 years old, still good thread and no weather cracks. I wanted to make the summer and figured I'd change them this winter. Well that didn't happen. On the second trip lost 2 of them. First one I caught and made it to the side as it went out. The second one blew out at about 60 and took out the J panel on the side of the Montana. Lucky I made it the other 40 miles home without another incident. I bought Sailun S637's before I rolled another mile. Simple Tire made me a good deal and shipped to me in 2 days. I wanted to buy some Goodyear G614's but at over twice the price I couldn't justify it.
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
I wanted to buy some Goodyear G614's but at over twice the price I couldn't justify it.
Saved $$$ and bought a tire with a better reputation. That is a winner!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Sidewall damage can’t be blamed on the tire!

I have 2 sets of G614 one on the Montana and one on an equipment trailer. I have 75,000 plus miles on the Montana tires 100,000 plus on the Montana and an unknown number of miles on the equipment trailer because I am not the only one using it. The equipment trailer tires and wheels came off of the Montana when I put the 110 psi wheels on it at 25,000 miles.

The equipment trailer is commonly operated at a much higher weight than the Montana no problems with the tires on either trailer.

Phil P

A lot of things can't be blamed on the tire. But you with all your miles ,and the many others that have had good luck with there G614, does not change the fact that the G614's have a history of failures.

You just don't read about problems with Sailuns. They have already proven they are a better tire. We can dance around this all we want, but the prove is in the pudding.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote