Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #81
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Sorry, what did you mean by the foregoing?
Sorry for the delay in answering. What i mean by my Sailuns taking out 2 wheels is that i have had 2 factory wheels crack on my Montana and start leaking air but no damage to the tires. My tires seem to be tougher than the wheels. I now carry a spare for the spare as it is not always easy to find an extra spare wheel on the road. I was 500 miles from home when my 1st wheel went bad and over a 1000 miles when my 2nd one went bad.I now have Hi-Spec wheels on my 5th wheel as the factory wheels seem to be junk.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #82
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
So if the High Country is not a Montana should I even be on this website?
Yeh, I was told my High Country was just an entry level camper by one of the Regulars on this site, the gall of some people. I have a few more things to say but I won`t.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #83
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Hay I like my “entry level” Montana.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #84
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Hay I like my “entry level” Montana.
Lynwood
I found several reasons why the HC was a better fit for us and $$$ was not one of them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #85
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Simpletire is offering 10% off on Sailun tires again - expires 28 Feb.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #86
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Texan, Montana Fan (All other Montana owners)
The best explanation of blown tires and split rims is to go to the Montana Owners Rally at the Elkhart Fairgrounds and listen to the reps. This has been an on going problem since I bought my first Montana. After two sets of tires on my 2980RL, I got set of G614 Goodyear tires. No problem, still good. Never had a problem with a split rim but have heard of others that did. Maybe the reps or people at the factory can explain about this problem. My unit is for sale and we will not be traveling, health problems. Safe travels
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #87
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
On the way back from the rally last September i hit a very rough seam in the road in Cincinati and just a few miles down the road my tps went off . If i had 10 ply tires on the rig then i probably would not of had a problem with the wheel but the tire might of blown out. The tires are certainly stronger than the wheel and that is why i bought a new set of Hi-Spec wheels and hope this solves the problem. I know there are some that have never had a cracked wheel in many years of traveling but the 14 ply tires have not been used that many years and to have 2 wheels crack within 15 months was enough for me to change to a different wheel.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #88
captjac39
Established Member

M.O.C. #21192
Has anyone heard of gladiator trailer tires? A friend spoke to commercial truckers who swear by them. He put them on his camper and was told by the i staller, if he ever sells his camper keep the tires for they will last forever. Any info from anyone?
captjac39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #89
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjac39 View Post
Has anyone heard of gladiator trailer tires? A friend spoke to commercial truckers who swear by them. He put them on his camper and was told by the i staller, if he ever sells his camper keep the tires for they will last forever. Any info from anyone?
I've heard of them, but know of no one that has used them. I'd find another dealer though as tires deteriorate with age. No tire lasts forever. I'll stick with Sailun.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #90
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
"Has anyone heard of Gladiator trailer tires?......I recall the name but know nothing about them. Right now the Sailuns appear to be performing well, and you really can't beat the price, so......
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #91
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tires. We had OEM missions on our 06 3400 put about 8K on them and changed them out for Coopers.The missions had a terrible track record. Put several thousand miles on the Coopers till we had a shackle failure while doing 65MPH in Michigan that shifted the rear axles ruining 3 of the Coopers. Replaced them with Generals and they were still doing well when we traded for the 13 3402. The 3402 came with the G6 14's and they are doing well. Note that we changed tires often and ruined a few but never had a flat tire or a blowout.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #92
Tubetweak

M.O.C. #21538
I have been in the Commercial tire business for 40 years. The difference in the tires is not only load rating. The biggest difference you are seeing in the Sailun S637 is that it is a true “ALL STEEL” commercial grade tire. Same with Goodyear G614. The all steel commercial tires run much cooler than ST tires built with fabric radial plies. They are very well worth installing and sell your ST tires online for whatever you can. One ST tire separation can cost you a lot more than the cost of a set of All Steel Commercial Grade tires. ST tires are fine for utility trailers.... but for a premium RV, I would not recommend them. Also, a TireMinder system could be invaluable. All tires can get punctures at any time.
Tubetweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #93
Tubetweak

M.O.C. #21538
I am familiar with and have sold most all brands. Some brands are much harder to find on the road if you find the need to match up in pairs. On 5ers, I prefer All Steel Commercial tires over most any brand in fabric ST tires.
Tubetweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #94
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
As someone who has had a tire on BOTH sides of my 2013 Montana 3750FL blow out on the same trip, mangling both sides of my Fiver, I cannot express enough the need to put on QUALITY TIRES. Goodyear G614 RST was our tire of choice since we had a family member who managed a Goodyear shop. As a head's up, it was the back tire on both sides of the dual axle. We had a couple of hundred pounds of extra cargo in the storage under the bed, so we also learned to put the extra heavy stuff forward of the axles. Nothing stops a trip faster than bad tires!
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #95
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you can find a way to do it (not easy) , It is best to know the actual weight of each tire position. Beings you blew both rear tires on the same trip a would bet your are towing nose high putting much more weight on the rear axle of your camper.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #96
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If you can find a way to do it (not easy) , It is best to know the actual weight of each tire position. Beings you blew both rear tires on the same trip a would bet your are towing nose high putting much more weight on the rear axle of your camper.
We had two cases of shotgun shells, 4 shotguns and other hunting equipment in the back, which was the main problem. I may be nose high but if I am, it is probably less than 1 degree.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #97
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I'm real curious what "much more weight" is in terms of a 5r weighing north of 15,000 lb. In our case the "much more" is 350#. When we did our full weigh in on December 11, it was (6200 rear vs 5850 front). We are possibly 1-2 inches nose high but had very little in the rear storage. Trey Selman of RVSEF said that by having the rear raised, we could slightly change that delta but did not say how much.We were considering IS at MORryde but have changed our minds as of right now.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #98
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If you had Mor-ryde do your install then they would raise the rear and level your rig. I have an 3'' block on each wheel raising the rear. It seems all Montana's are nose high and needs correcting.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #99
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
This is what a mean by being surprised by the actual weight of each individual wheel position. My rig was weighed 5/27/16 fully loaded with as much as we would possibly have on board.

left front 2740#
right front 3300#
left rear 3400#
right rear 2920#

As you can see, its not necessarily the weight of each axle but the weight of each individual wheel position that matters. Even one of the 4 tires can be overloaded without even knowing it.

IMHO anyone running around with ANY cheap ST tire on a heavy unit is just asking for trouble.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #100
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
If you had Mor-ryde do your install then they would raise the rear and level your rig. I have an 3'' block on each wheel raising the rear. It seems all Montana's are nose high and needs correcting.
Not trying to change the subject or anything but It would be nice if you could post a picture of the 3" block or blocks that they raised your camper with. Just real curious about that.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote