Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Lonnie cisco

M.O.C. #19786
Replacng RJ cable in 2007 2955 RL

I have a 2007 montana 2055 R L the RJ 11 cable needs to be replaced the old one is stapled. What is the easiest way to replace the cable?

Lonnie cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Why remove the old one? String the a new one and be done.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
Why remove the old one? String the a new one and be done.
X2 - It's called 'abandoned in place'.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Lonnie cisco

M.O.C. #19786
I was using the old one to pull the new one through the ceiling. As the old one is stapled down not sure how to thread the new one through all the obstacles in the ceiling
Lonnie cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie cisco View Post
I was using the old one to pull the new one through the ceiling. As the old one is stapled down not sure how to thread the new one through all the obstacles in the ceiling
A trip to home depot for a metal 'fish tape' or get some very stiff wire. Then you can push it through the insulation and other obstacles, hook onto your new coax and pull it back.
I'm assuming you're working on the roof antenna.

Mark
Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Isn't RJ11 a 4-wire phone cable and connector? The only places they are used in a 2007 model are are for the exterior phone connection and the wiring from the thermostat to the AC unit.

I doubt anyone uses the builtin phone line anymore. That leaves the wires from the thermostat to the AC. MARK A has the right idea. A fish tape is the trick device. Think about removing light fixtures along the run to shorten the distance and hassle of finding a route for the wire.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The ac to thermostat looks like rj11 telephone cable...but look closely at each end and you will see that on one end the rj11 connector is wired 180 degrees from the other end. I don't know if keystone did funny things to allow for using normal telephone extension cables, but extremely doubtful. Given that your cable has clear plastic connectors on each end, you should be able to see the individual wire colors...red, green, etc and the order they are in as you view the connector with the locking tab up.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I realize I am late to this discussion but before I did much work fishing wires you might want to plug your new cable in on both ends leaving the cable exposed. Then verify everything works by firing up the AC. If it corrects the problem then follow the other's suggestions to fish it.