Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
BoomersRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #9724
Mice, Mice and More Mice!

We use our Montana as a seasonal camper. In the current campground we have experienced mice every winter despite everything I have done.
Yesterday I finally slide under the trailer (where the grey/black water dumps and sewer connection is) and I found two things:

1) a gap between the metal siding and the black material that covers the bottom. About 1/2". I could see up in the trailer (probably right under where the kitchen/closet/shower is). The edge of this had some silver insulation on it. I have seen white ground up substance on the ground and the sewer pipe at this location).

2) also saw that one of the screws in the middle of the trailer bottom has come loose from the black material (what is this made of??). I could see aluminum insulation.

What should I do to close these areas up? Obviously the critters have had an open invitation inside our trailer.

BoomersRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Use bounce dryer sheets all over the inside and the should stay away it works for me.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
BoomersRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #9724
The larger issue is penetrations in the outside of the trailer that is letting them in. I have used dryer sheets & DCon but isn't keeping them out.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I've used the noise makers. I put one in my silverware drawer guess what they did on my silverware? I think you got it. I've used mothballs and dryer sheets to the same result. Mouse traps will work but they are the only thing I have found that will work.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Moth balls all around OUTSIDE under the RV the little critters hate the smell(and so do the rest of us) it has worked for me every time ,they evaporate after a while but just throw more around under the RV they are cheap we have used them to repel Raccoons and Squirrels too
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've used Fresh Cab in the unit both inside and in the basement areas. It's an herbal formula and the mice and other critters do not like the smell. The farmers use these packets in their implement cabs and on the engines to keep the mice out and away from the wiring. You can find it at Menards and TSC stores. It comes n a four pack box and I usually buy about three or four boxes and use the packets all over and around the unit when in storage and I leave several in the basement areas even while we're on the road to keep the critters from entering while parked also. Before using the Fresh Cab, I used the dryer sheets and moth balls. They worked but not as well as Fresh Cab has! If you don't have either of the above mentioned stores in your area check it on Amazon or Google it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
BoomersRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #9724
Hi again, we purchased Fresh Cab this year and will spread around. My question is, there is an opening between the metal walls and the black panels on the bottom of the trailer. How do I fix this? I am sort of shocked to see this. I assumed the whole bottom was impermable with the exception of piping intrusions which look ok. I want to prevent them from getting in the first place. No use putting all this stuff inside if we are inviting them with gaps in the bottom exterior of the trailer. My husband plans to use calking. I don't want to use the wrong kind of material and then have to remove it.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #8
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have had no luck with bounce sheets other than making the trailer smell nice.When I find a opening that they can get into the trailer I stuff it with steel wool
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Catch a couple of snakes and put them in the trailer.
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
I have 2 devices that are called 'Rid a Rat'.
Bought them at Ace hardware. They are a small strob light, that take 1 aa battery. I put one under the back axle, 1 up front by the under belly. They have a small magnet on them that attaches to anything underneath.
Keeps packrats and mice away.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
HD sells expanding foam that has a bitter taste. Supposed to keep mice out. Bought some for our sticks and brick basement but haven't tried it. Steel wool might work although pest control places sell a similar product but it is coarser and sharper so mice won't eat through it. I'd stuff the hole with steel wool or like product and then stick the spray foam nozzle into the steel wool and fill the gap with foam. You get protection from the mice with the bonus of added insulation.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote