Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Removal of Caulking Smears

The person who caulked my new 09 Monty must have wiped his/her hands on the sidewals and had trouble following the corner curves of the pit doors. Does anyone know of a solvent for the caulking that won't damage the finish as I would like to remove some of the excess. I have the hi-gloss finish.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have similar sloppy fingers on my gel coat. I would think a sharp blade may be more effective, but I haven't tried anything. I'm gun shy with solvents ever since I ruined the cap on our 2003 trying to get bugs off.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Good luck with that one...I use silicone quite a bit with my work, and depending on the quality the adhesive properties vary greatly.
Unfortunately, like Brad said, any solvents strong enough would likely damage the surface. Also anything like sharp metal will scrape that surface right off with it.
About the only tools I could recommend would be something like a plastic spatula or wood shim. Those will not harm the surface.

I just thought of something worth a try - WD40...try in a inconspicuous location first to be sure of no damage, but that stuff can do wonders.
Either way you're in for a tough go and LOTS of elbow grease.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozzie, good call on the plastic spatula or wood shim. I know Isopropal Alcohol works well to remove bathroom caulking, using a cotton ball. But I'm not sure about the finish on the Monty. Could try it on a hidden spot.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
What about trying some of those sticker removing sprays. As long as you stay away from the decals. I don't know if it will work, just throwing it out there for thought.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
ew-ya, I bet that would work - goo-gone I think it's called. Wife uses it all the time and it's pretty harmless to finishes.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Goo-B-Gone should remove the smears. A little goes a long way. One of the applications for removing vehicle emblems is to saturate the adhesive. The chemical seeps into the adhesive and makes it easy to remove. I say that with caution. Use a micro-fiber cloth with the Goo-B-Gone on the cloth and apply gently and NOT liberally.

I would also think that some of the polishes on the market would remove a smear.

And, have you called Keystone to ask what there advice is for removing it, since they were the ones that put it on there?

Edited: I agree that a plastic spatula or wood is better than a razor blade or putty knife but I would be very careful of any scraping method as there will still be a tendency to put scratch marks on the gel coat, depending on how vigorous a scrubbing is given.

Double Edit: This is from a search on the words:

cleaning calk smears

and brought up daimler chrysler page that can only be viewed in html instead of the document. (https://gsp.extra.daimlerchrysler.co...pecs/07920.doc)

It states"

"4 CLEANING

1. Clean off excess sealants or sealant smears adjacent to joints as the Work progresses by methods and with cleaning materials approved in writing by manufacturers of joint sealants and of products in which joints occur."

If you do the search and view the page in HTML, you will see a very long list of sealants that manufacturers use. It is the manufacturer of the sealant that needs to provide the information on cleaning their sealant.

I know I have not been much help, but I'm just trying to provide information for a decision that you have to make.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
WD-40 or GOO-GONE should do the job. They do make plastic razor blade that work pretty well. You can get them at most body shops. Good luck, Merry Christmas & have a Happy New Year. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
goo- gone worked for me. the smears were pretty light / thin. i also found that rubbing hard with just a soft cloth worked.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Thanks for all the suggestions.I have Goo Gone and WD40 so will try both. I agree with Kevin that vigorous rubbing with a soft cloth works but it's a lot of work, and being a retired person...Re bugs I have found Lava soap in an old sock works but go easy. A rewax is needed as the soap may leave a light spot.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by berridge

Thanks for all the suggestions.I have Goo Gone and WD40 so will try both. I agree with Kevin that vigorous rubbing with a soft cloth works but it's a lot of work, and being a retired person...Re bugs I have found Lava soap in an old sock works but go easy. A rewax is needed as the soap may leave a light spot.
Use bounce sheets on them bugs! It won't hurt the finish or the graphics. I learned that here on the MOC after ruining the cap on my last monty with bug and tar remover.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
yea Berridge, the things i used to do all day now take me all day to do.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote