Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
DirectTV wireless

Primed to sign on with DirectTV and am curious if anyone is utilizing the wireless receivers that Direct offers, and if so, would you recommend or advise to stay with the hard wired receivers? I've read about all the wiring issues with our Monty's and thought that perhaps this may be a way to circumvent those issues? Also, any idea of the data consumption in using these wireless receivers?

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have DTV but no wireless devices. That said, I believe the primary receiver (Genii) is hardwired with a RG6 coax to the antenna (no WiFi connection). The mini-Genii's are subordinate to the primary unit. The mini can use a WiFi network created by the primary Genii and consequently there is no drain on your WiFi data account.

You will have to punch a hole in your Montana if you want to have both DTV (or Dish) and Cable/OTA. If you can live without one of the other, the existing wiring can be used once you remove the Diplexors.

I can understand using DTV in the RV if you already have it at home and/or you are a fulltimer. Otherwise Dish is much more RV tolerant and has the Pay as You Go plan where you can turn the service on or off.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'll comment only on satellite providers … I was with DirectTV for 14 years. I never had a reception issue other than toad soaker rains, but I did have issue with constant need to haggle on price changes as each promotional term was up. I tried Dish Pay as You Go and really like it. Somewhat cheaper than DTV and infinitely more RVer friendly as to changing location and as to stopping and starting service. I cannot see ever switching back.
I did install a tru the wall connector direct to my living room TV as I'm using a PathwayX2 which is sensitive to cable length and splitters in said cable run. Works great for us.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I had the wireless receivers and hated them so much I paid the penalty for canceling the plan before it expired. For me, they were not reliable and required resetting often. As if the hardware was not technologically advanced enough to perform such a simple task.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have the wireless unit from DTV and there a few issues that have come up since it was installed last Dec. One issue is it has paused about 2-3 seconds once and a while but I have noticed has not been as frequent as the first 3-4 months. At this time I think it has happened maybe once in 2-3 weeks. Right now it is our home base so that might help the matter.
Butch is correct on the description of the equipment and install. It does have more capacity for recording and number of shows you can record a one time.
3-4 months ago I would of told you to stick with the hard wired unit but it has been somewhat trouble free for a few months so now I am a toss up.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #6
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
We're not full-timers yet but will be spending 5-plus months a year traveling and plan on utilizing the DirectTV/Dish at home, and then packing it up and taking it with us when we travel. I appreciate all of your comments/advice and have one last question for now...what satellite antennae are you utilizing for DTV?

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
one last question for now...what satellite antennae are you utilizing for DTV?
Good question. The little portable antennas will only receive SD signals from DTV. With Dish they provide HD and SD. Most of us with DTV are HD snobs and have opted for the big antenna mounted on a tripod and/or a rooftop mounted automatic antenna. The rooftop ones are great but not so much when parked under trees. Then a tripod is necessary.

The other consideration is that DTV is discontinuing SD broadcast around April 2019. Consequently those small portable antennas will likely be useless for DTV (but Dish will still work).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Thanks again for the great info Carl. Looks like I may need to reevaluate my decision of DTV and reconsider Dish.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have the Dish system with the roof mounted traveler antenna. Love the dish system and they just, well last month allow one to change local channels on their phone app. No need to call them. I used it on our last trip across country. A 5000 mile road trip and I was able to change local channels at every stop.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I changed from Time Warner at home (now Spectrum/Direct TV/AT&T) to DISH so we could have a rooftop dish mounted on our Monty and have the on/off feature. In my 66 years of life I have dealt with VERY few (could count them on less than one hand) of companies that have customer service that remotely compares to DISH. Just my$.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
X2 on Dish. I use the tailgater antenna with a Direct hookup to my Wally through my entertainment center slide. 10 minutes tops I’m watching tv with my local channels no matter where I’m located.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
What is a Wally? Is it a DVR and if so, how many stations can be recorded at one time?

Thanks
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
ketarkuss

M.O.C. #19957
We r full time. We took all our ‘stuff’ for the DTV with us. Bought a new dish & tripod. Have to setup when we move ( and call for local channels) but that system works well for us
ketarkuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
The Wally is only a receiver. Can be used as a dvr with an addition of a hard drive with around a $30 one time charge. You'll get all the channels you get at home. It's$7 a month and you can turn it on and off at no charge.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #15
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Bnrc73: I have the DISH satellite on my roof and two DISH receivers inside, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. What is involved in adding a DVR so I can record while on the road? Can recorded programs be "extracted" once you get home? Thanks.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
You can get the hard drive from Dish for around $30. Not sure on the technical side of how it works. The hard drive will probably plug into your Hopper at home. I'd just call dish and ask to talk to someone in the Dish RV department. I will be setting mine up before I leave for Texas in December.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjj View Post
I changed from Time Warner at home (now Spectrum/Direct TV/AT&T) to DISH so we could have a rooftop dish mounted on our Monty and have the on/off feature. In my 66 years of life I have dealt with VERY few (could count them on less than one hand) of companies that have customer service that remotely compares to DISH. Just my$.02.
We have had Dish 21 years. When we went FT, we took the home receiver & Dish with us. The dish is now in storage and we have a carry out dome that finds all the satellites for us.
We are on the a la cart plan & get everything we want for about $70.00.
They don't yank customers around at all. And when rates change, we talk to their customer retention Dept, and they always work with us. But, being a customer before Charlie Ergen became a billionaire with dish helps.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #18
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketarkuss View Post
We r full time. We took all our ‘stuff’ for the DTV with us. Bought a new dish & tripod. Have to setup when we move ( and call for local channels) but that system works well for us
Actually their "Chat" feature on the web site works better than calling them. Takes about 5 minutes total and the locals are changed. Phone app does not work for my account.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I have DirectvNow and use that at home and on the road anyone familiar with that service? Im also a ATT unlimited customer so I can stream all of DirectvNow without any data consumption. when there is no cell service I run a Intranet service and a server with movies and TV shows in connection with fire sticks.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #20
JEROME
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22972
We have taken the satellite box from our home and put in the camper when we travel. We have a Winegard automatic satellite dish on the roof. When we travel we cannot get local stations on our direct tv satellite box. It sounds that some of you, even with direct tv as we have, get local stations where you are. Any help that you can give us would be appreciated to secure these channels when we travel. Thanks Jerome & Judy
JEROME is offline   Reply With Quote