Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Kingpin Tripod Stabilizer

Since we are going to be staying put for a few months this winter here in FL we decided to get a tripod stabilizer for the kingpin. Now we have a question... When we were at the MOC Rally I remember someone saying the ring over the kingpin can and will cut into your teflon hitch plate. During show n tell someone had put something in between the metal ring and teflon plate. At the time we did not have the tripod so NOW we need to know. Don't want to ruin or cut into our teflon plate. Help??? Thanks guys...

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I am sure someone else will answer your question about a spacer plate. It is a good idea. We have the tripod and a teflon plate on the hitch. So far, it has not done any damage to the telfon. The support on the tripod fits close to the pin and has never damaged our teflon plate. This one has been on for over two years on this RV and we have had no problems. I could see where a flat washer the size of the pin would make sure that it wouldn't cut the teflon. Any machine shop can cut you a circle out of steel the size of the pin so it would rest between the teflon and the tripod.
Ken And Velda (retired engineer)
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
You could always get a block of wood or a piece of metal (a 1 1/2" pipe cap would work) to drop into the stabilizer cup so it rests on it and the top does not contact the teflon disc.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have been using my tripod for two years with no damage
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I am like Ken. Used the old one 3 yrs & in Jan. will be 2 yrs on Monty & no problem. Have had the same disc for 2 yrs.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I only use the tripod when staying somewhere for a long period of time, and then I remove the teflon ring.takes 15 seconds.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Joyce, See my post Thanks to CountryGuy under the General Category.

I also used the tripod but I just added a couple of frame jacks and it made all the difference in the world.

Can't help with the teflon plate as I don't need one with the Superglide.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Joyce and Tom, I think it makes a difference which style tripod you have. Our first tripod was the kind with a flat plate on top that just pushes up against the pinbox. It jacks straight up and was not a problem.

The current one has the can on top of a large screw. You turn the can to adjust it tight against the pinbox. which means you're turning the edge of that metal can into the teflon plate under the pinbox. I thought that would damage the teflon and maybe it will. But so far it hasn't. I bought a spare teflon plate just in case. I'm still pretty careful not to turn it too hard into the plate.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, cut a round disk the same size as the teflon disk and a hole in it just large enought to fit over the pin.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote