Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The Hearing Fight is Over

Basic details, Al has hearing loss, Carol probably does too, but not like his.

He has DVD player in the 5er, during our winter away from the ice he had a number of DVD's to watch. Due to his hearing loss he had trouble hearing portions of the movies, like the speaking, so, he would turn up the volume. When the music would kick in, it would blow Carol's eardrums OUT!

This became the hot topic, errr, discussion, errr, OK, FIGHTS!

I kept asking him if he could get earphones, as I really did not want to hear his movies at all, his choice is not always what I care to watch or even hear. I would be trying to work on the computer with my back to the blue flicker of death and I was subjected to all this racket, loud, then soft, then loud, then soft.

As most of you know, the TV had no output jacks, and if I remember correctly, neither did the DVD we had, and he had to have a RF module to make the DVD talk to the TV.

Solution: He purchased a new DVD player, that also plays video tapes. This one did not need the RF modulator, so, that went by by.

Part 2 of the Solution: He purchased wireless headphones.

Now, he can fill ya in on all the tech part, I am here to tell you, that we will now have harmony and he will be able to hear, and I won't!

He can even turn the sound up and down on the headphones, so when the music is loud, he can turn it down and when he cannot hear the speaking parts, he can turn it up!

If I have misrepresented the tech facts, I am sorry.

But, I am HAPPY!! OH, and our unit did not come with the updated Bose speakers, etc. Just plain ole TV, seperate radio/CD player, etc. etc. etc.

This improvement with the AB switch thing he put on the radio/CD player, well, we are each hearing just what we want, and where we want.

Life is good.

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Carol, I am so glad that the new changes has made you happy. I have about the same problem except it is me that is loosing my hearing. I don't think Walt ever says a word that I don't say "WHAT" Our unit came with the sorry RCA TV and the radio with CD player.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Any TV built after June 1993 has to have close caption on it. Faye is deaf & I am in 1 ear. so it was a godsent until she had a cochlear implant. she hears things that I don't now.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
What a perfect solution. Thanks for the idea!!!!

Alot cheaper than separate units
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Glad to know there is a solution. I would like to have a set of earphones that would allow me to turn up the volume and leave the TV volume lower so my wife can listen also. Does anyone know if that is possible?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
So far our only hearing problem is that I can hear my husband snore, and boy DOES he!
zZzzzz zZzzzz zZzzzz

Would those headphones help me?

If anyone is going to the campout in California on Memorial Day, don't get a site next to us or you'll have a hearing problem.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
I have been using wireless earphones now for about three years. They cost about $100 but are worth every penny. Volume control on the earphones leaves the wife very happy with lower volume on TV. Bought them at Best Buy. Manufactured by Advent.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have 2 13 in TVS with tape player & both of them have a head phone jack on them. I think we got both at Wal mart
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
In answer to the headphones and volume still on TV. Yes that is possible. I can't remember the brand but I had checked it out several years ago. Plugging in the headphones does not cut off the TV sound to the rest of the room. They are hearing impaired enchancements. Try seaching on the internet. I lost 60% of my hearing in my left ear several years ago due to ear infections and I got real scared and started checking out possibilities. I only have 80% in the right ear since childhood mumps but now I have adjusted pretty well. The loss in my left ear is not helped with loudness. I can't understand the words.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:29 AM   #11
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
I just did a search at both Best Buy.com and RadioShack.com for Wireless Headphones and turned up several possibilities. The ones I have are 900 MHz so they are good for up to 300 feet away from the TV, which at home lets me listen to a show while I do laundry or take the dogs out or whatever. Great little invention
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
So, will the neext issue be the "I'm too warm I'm too cold" discussion?? Seriously though, in close spaces these are the problems that can make or break the RVing experience. That's why we love to read everyone's solutions.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:36 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Hmmmm, something to look into! LOL Mike too has the problem of being deaf while the tv is on. He has the surround sound on so loud at home, you can hear it thru the floor, upstairs but he can't hear it in the same room!

I might just have to make this suggestion, or since Christmas isn't that far off.....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Basic details, Al has hearing loss, Carol probably does too, but not like his.

He has DVD player in the 5er, during our winter away from the ice he had a number of DVD's to watch. Due to his hearing loss he had trouble hearing portions of the movies, like the speaking, so, he would turn up the volume. When the music would kick in, it would blow Carol's eardrums OUT!

This became the hot topic, errr, discussion, errr, OK, FIGHTS!

I kept asking him if he could get earphones, as I really did not want to hear his movies at all, his choice is not always what I care to watch or even hear. I would be trying to work on the computer with my back to the blue flicker of death and I was subjected to all this racket, loud, then soft, then loud, then soft.

As most of you know, the TV had no output jacks, and if I remember correctly, neither did the DVD we had, and he had to have a RF module to make the DVD talk to the TV.

Solution: He purchased a new DVD player, that also plays video tapes. This one did not need the RF modulator, so, that went by by.

Part 2 of the Solution: He purchased wireless headphones.

Now, he can fill ya in on all the tech part, I am here to tell you, that we will now have harmony and he will be able to hear, and I won't!

He can even turn the sound up and down on the headphones, so when the music is loud, he can turn it down and when he cannot hear the speaking parts, he can turn it up!

If I have misrepresented the tech facts, I am sorry.

But, I am HAPPY!! OH, and our unit did not come with the updated Bose speakers, etc. Just plain ole TV, seperate radio/CD player, etc. etc. etc.

This improvement with the AB switch thing he put on the radio/CD player, well, we are each hearing just what we want, and where we want.

Life is good.

Carol
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 AM   #14
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Whoaa!! Are you saying that Montana is putting Bose speakers into their units now??? Wow! What an upgrade that would be over the Quest garbage that was in ours.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:54 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
captbango,
We agree. We've been trying to figure out how we can change to a Bose system but can seem to determine how to change the 3 little speakers above the TV. We cannot get much of anything on the radio and my Jimmy Buffett music sounds terrible so this system has to go. If you change to Bose, let us know.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #16
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Parrothead (knew you were a Buffett fan by your name...going to see him in Vegas next month), take a look on Ebay at the Bose 800 system. I think you'll find that the speakers match up closely with the ones in the 3400RL. They seem to be selling for about eight hundred bucks. Also, I believe the subwoofer is small enough to fit in the DVD cabinet (a horrible compromise, but probably necessary). I've toyed with the idea of changing to this system but right now I'm using a Bose Wave system instead. I also don't like where the rear speakers have been located...would prefer one near the left rear swivel chair instead of way over by the table. Don't take my word on the measurements...check them out. If you do this, I'd be interested in how you make out.

-------

We agree. We've been trying to figure out how we can change to a Bose system but can seem to determine how to change the 3 little speakers above the TV. We cannot get much of anything on the radio and my Jimmy Buffett music sounds terrible so this system has to go. If you change to Bose, let us know.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:35 PM   #17
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I vote for the Bose system. Keep us posted. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Captbanjo
Glad to hear there are some JB fans on this forum. Have a great time at the concert. I usually go to the one at Irvine, CA. We got cancelled last year when Jimmy's mother passed. We went on a cruise last year with Parrotheads and are going on another in April. Sponsored by Atlanta Club. We will defintely change our sound system. Trying to decide if the washer/dryer are more important than sound.