Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #21
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
[QUOTE
What the valve does is stop the siphoning loop that can start... QUOTE]

I'm just wondering how the water siphons out when there isn't a hose from the vent sticking into the water (like sticking a hose into a container of gas). Just asking?

Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
WE are having the same issues. Ours looses water only on right hand turns out the vent tube outlet on the side of our 352RL. Dealer talked to Keystone, and they said to shorten the vent tube inside the tank and that should solve the problem.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
All 3 campers I have owned have had the vent lube connected to a fitting on the tank. There is nothing extending into the tank itself. Mine sloshes out some water but is minimal and not a real issue.

On my 2011 3455sa the vent tube is fairly short, say less than 2 foot.

Maybe the newer units vent tube is even shorter which I can see being an issue.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #24
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
just dropped our new 331rl at the dealer for some check list repairs. got very tired of losing water from our 2017 352rl. Well guess what. our new one does the same thing. Again only on right hand turns. Some how keystone is not properly installing the overflow vent. It was dripping out the vent as we pulled into the dealers service drive. hope this fix does not take over a year like the last attempt.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #25
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Our 2018 has the exact same problem as the OP. I was concerned there was a leak and took the corplast down to take a look. The problem is that Keystone installs the tank up against the floor and as such there is no room on TOP of it to install the vent line where it should be. Instead they install it on the side and on the discharge side of the vent line is on the same level as the top of the tank. In other words, the vent is NOT above the level of the tank which means that water easily flows out of it!!!!

I will have to study on it a bit but I think the fix would be to add a short "snorkel" extension to the vent line to get it higher on the exterior side of the frame....... If I come up with something I will post pictures.

FYI for HC 380/381 owners. The vent, fill and sensor fittings are all on the drivers side next to the frame. You cannot see the tank by taking down the back wall of the pass thru but you can see it if you remove 3 or 4 self tapping screws on the corplast where it makes the front drivers corner after the frame makes its drop down.... The tank drain valve toward the front is the center of the water tank for additional reference (the corner I am talking about is to the drivers side and just forward of that valve). Also note that owners of the 381 will have a second drain valve behind the tank drain which is the low point drain for ice maker line.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
On a related note, on inspection of the water tank I was alarmed to find that Keystone uses lightweight rivets to hold the fresh water tank straps in place!!! I am rather concerned that those rivets are not substantial enough to hold the straps, particularly when you consider the weight of a full tank of water!!! There is only 1 rivet per side on each strap as well! I will absolutely not be traveling any substantial distance with a full tank now that I know what is holding that tank up!!!!!! I strongly advise anyone who routinely travels with a full water tank consider looking at how their tank straps are secured!!!

If I ever have to replace the water tank, I plan to replace the straps with 1" square tubing with mounting plates on the end that I can use at least two bolts thru the frame on (most likely weld SST bolts in place so they are easy to install/remove). At the same time replacing the corplast with aluminum sheet would be a substantial improvement and allow for access ports to be installed where fittings are located. Obviously this would be overkill for the factory and many owners but I am one of those handy guys that likes to make improvements as I go.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote