Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2024, 07:20 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Bearing failure

Why does bearing seem to fail on RV/trailers so much more often than automobiles?

My idea was because they just sit outside most of the year, probably drawing in moisture and condensation and then the heat vapor expands when they are finally used and the grease doesn't do much since it has mixed with the water.

My dad was just driving from northern Indiana down to Florida pulling their 2016 27' trailer (6600lb) and he repacked the bearing last year and didn't think he needed to do it again since it was only about 6000 miles ago. Just before he got to Indy he had one catch on fire. It toasted the whole inside and they had to get a new hub. It took hours to beat the old bearing out as it was nearly welded in. Ickes said it didn't need a new axle. Luckily there was no damage to the trailer itself. The guys there inspected the rest of the bearings and then sent them on their way.
They got in Florida and about an hour from the campground near Orlando (or somewhere around there) they had another bearing go out. This time it caught quicker and was only smoking.

Both times delayed them hours.

This is not something I want to go through on the montana. I know I'm only going to Kentucky with it and them leaving it there, but I still don't want this to happen.

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
There are significant differences that exist between automotive wheel bearing applications and trailer applications. Besides the difference in wheel bearing size and design, there is also a significant difference in side load that trailer axles are exposed to in comparison to auto / truck. Some folks never experience wheels bearing failures because we follow a rigorous maintenance routine. I repack wheel bearings every year and I check bearing adjustment before any long trips. In my opinion, you can’t “over maintain “ wheels bearings. I would sooner invest time along with wheel bearing seals and grease to avoid changing wheel bearings as a result of failure during a trip.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:10 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I must under maintain my High Country bearing. I’ve repacked them once in 13 years and never had a problem. So I don’t know why they go bad. Maybe it’s the way they are tightening. I tightened the nut down then loosened it a bit to give a little clearance between the rollers and the race.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:26 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Our TPMS alerted us to a brake failure. That tire was hotter than the others prompting me to investigate and discover the problem.
I'm hoping if we have a bearing failure the TPMS will indicate something first to alert us.
I do carry spare bearings and a grease gun now.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ght=Tpms+saved
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:41 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Dexter recommends clean, inspect and repack bearings every 12K miles or annually.

The quality of the grease is important . I use Lucas Red & Tacky grease.. My bearings are now 11 years old ( original factory bearings and brakes )..

Towing speed and weight also will affect the bearing grease and life of the bearings and races.

My latest video of what my bearings, races and brake shoes and hardware look like going on their 11th season of use..

** Some folks never repack, some folks insist in using the EZ lube zerk on the axle and call it good

Its a matter of choice

** I am old school, age 70, and too set in my old school ways of doing things to not pull the hubs once a year and put my eyes on what's behind the hubs..

https://youtu.be/W7ukKfZ15M0?si=pqPgpz33UyzzLCna
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:14 AM   #6
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Do you think that wheel covers when the RV is parked make a difference to the bearings?
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:05 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
Do you think that wheel covers when the RV is parked make a difference to the bearings?
No but the Tires will last a lot longer since they arent getting exposed to UV damage
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:58 PM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Maybe that particular bearing was not packed entirely, which led to it heating up and eventually failing. Or the bearing itself had some issue with it? I think it's rare for this to happen, especially if you're diligent on following the recommended maintenance for bearings.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:14 AM   #9
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
If you using the easy lube, make sure you are turning the wheel as you putting grease in otherwise you were overpacked the back of the bearing and blow the seal. make sure you stop when the grease comes out of the front at the hole.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
If you using the easy lube, make sure you are turning the wheel as you putting grease in otherwise you were overpacked the back of the bearing and blow the seal. make sure you stop when the grease comes out of the front at the hole.
Actually you should continue until you see NEW grease come out the front of the hub. That way you know you have pushed out all the old grease and refilled with new grease. If you are using new red grease it is pretty easy to tell when the new grease starts coming out as the old grease has a little duller color.

That's all I ever did, every other year, for 14 years and never a bearing problem. Or grease leak on brakes. Closely following Dexter instructions.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #11
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I think a lot of trailer owners don’t realize just how much stress they are placing on the entire suspension, wheel bearings, and frame when they “jackknife” their rig into a tight spot. Hint, the creaking and popping is trying to tell you something! It’s much easier on your equipment, albeit a little less macho, to pull forward a few more times instead of trying to crank it in with one move.

Tags
bearing, failure, replacement