Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
iowawanderer
Established Member

M.O.C. #9047
Updating RV, How long do you go?

Just curious how long everyone has kept their Monty's before they sell or trade up? Looking at book values and Keystone's new updates, it makes you think. Tom.

iowawanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
This Spring will make two years for us, and we were strongly tempted by a Big Sky last Spring. If the right deal was ever presented, we would strongly consider it, but the added amenities would have to justify the additional cost and the trade-in value would have fair. We discounted the Big Sky at the time, because the only real upgrade we could see that benefited us was the larger fridge. Somehow I could not justify the added cost for a larger fridge. This only represents my opinion and is not to be taken as discouragement. We remain interested in the side-aisles and have looked at a SOB with a full wall slide and SA configuration that allows for seperate washer and dryer which is a major deal-maker or deal-breaker for us. Wonder when Montana is going to come out with a SA with room for stackables or side-by-side. If and when, that would be major temptation.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was going to say the replacement cycle depends on whether you full time or part time, but that's really not the case. It just depends on the person.

As a vacationer, I couldn't wear one out in 15 years, but I am driven by features and pretty much impulse buy when I'm overwhelmed by the factory improvements. I probably would never go much beyond 10 years on one. My car replacement seems to focus around 10 years as well.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bingo, I agree about the side by side W/D. We are looking forward to the 2010's. Our (SOB) manufactor already has the full Bedroom slide with the W/D side by side. We are going to Goshen and hope to go to the factory and see what floor plans we can get. As for how long I think it depends on how you use the RV. I think the models that are being built today will last many year as long as your willing to do a lot of upkeep. I firmly believe if your not happy you should do what ever it takes to get you there! GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
iowawanderer
Established Member

M.O.C. #9047
New orders today are a 2010 model. Thats what keeps me thinking (22 months from now.) It's taken me 10 years to step up to this level. Wife would like a 4slide. The hickory edition is impressive.I saw the SOB F/w slide, would like to see how it holds up though, thats a very large opening in an aluminun cage in regards to flex and slide operation. bsmeaton, I agree with you. The way I take care of things it would never wear out. I'm just looking at my 07 3000rk trade value now on a 2010 rather than a year or two from now. Delaine and Lindy, I'm with you on having what you want. Life is too short. Tom.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I tend to be somewhat pragmatic. We traded a 2003 Big Sky for a 2008 Big Sky. The trade was price and feature driven. The unit is very comfortable for our full timing experience. At 69 years of age, the life expectancy of both my 2008 F350 and the Big Sky are beyond my RVing life expectancy. So however long we do this, It will be in this rig, no more trades.

I think once you come to that decision, you are more willing to spend a bit to add amenities and make somewhat expensive changes to the rig. I like the remote landing legs control on the new rigs and can retrofit it. I am also considering retrofitting individually adjustable landing legs for ease of leveling. Then there are electro/hydraulic disc brakes. By the time I get too decrepit to do this, I will have it like I want it.

Life is like a cup of really fine hot chocolate. It tastes the same whether you drink it from an expensive designer cup or just an old chipped coffee mug. You enjoyment is based on the quality of the chocolate , not the aesthetics of the cup. We are drinking some exquisite "hot chocolate" from this cup.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
I don't think it's a time thing more so than a "when you see it, you'll know it" kinda thing.

We've had our present unit for almost 2 years. Prior to that we had an SOB for 9 years which at the time of purchase was our 4th unit in 2 years.
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We like new "stuff" We get a new car and truck about every 3 years. However our rv'ing years are limited. We are into our 3rd year of our 5/7 year plan with a 06 3400. We sure took a hard look at the new big sky but it just does not make sense cost vs benefits, for us.It is my opinion that the way we use our 3400 it would have a useful life of perhaps 5/7 years based on wear and tear to this point(33 months) If we were going to continue usage for perhaps another 10 years I am sure we would upgrade..But....You can't fool mother nature and aother 10 years is not in the cards.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
iowawanderer
Established Member

M.O.C. #9047
Well you guys pretty much summed it up for me. I had a deal worked up last weekend just after a rv show and been crushing the numbers all week with them. Ones age and where we are in our lives does dictate our decisions and purchases. I just called them and said DEAL! Looks like I'm helping the economy a bit after all. Thanks for your honest opinions. Tom 2010 3455SA, Mid April.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Once we get an RV where everything works, kind of hate to take a chance on a new one which might be a lemon with lots of problems. I have more confidence in vehicles...but not these RVs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by iowawanderer

Just curious how long everyone has kept their Monty's before they sell or trade up? Looking at book values and Keystone's new updates, it makes you think. Tom.
In May of this year our rig will be nine years old and we have no intention of trading. We have modified this one to the point that we can't possibly afford to pass it on to someone else. And, on April 1st we are having the Bigfoot Levelers installed to provide automatic leveling for the rig.

I think that updating (new rigs) is a personal thing for each person. We have never been able to find any rig, Keystone or SOB that provides us with what we want/need compared to the one we have.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
our first one we had for 5 years. This one who knows. Seems to me the quality is slipping on the newer ones.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Once we get an RV where everything works, kind of hate to take a chance on a new one which might be a lemon with lots of problems. I have more confidence in vehicles...but not these RVs.
This is our feelings also. We have upgraded our '06 3400 considerably and feel we are just getting it fixed the way we want it. We fulltime and hope to have this rig for 7-10 years. We don't know how much longer we will travel, but with sons in two different states, suffice it to say we are not ready to settle down yet. As this is our first and only RV, we may very well be a one RV family. I think health will probably be a determining factor. After playing racquetball for an hour today, it may be sooner than we think, OR at least do like Orv is doing, auto everything..... We are not objectionable to living in our unit in a particular place as our last home. (We'll see how we feel when the time comes)....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
We have a 2006 3500RL and this will be our fourth season in it. We long time and spend 6 months a year as camp host so have not put a lot of miles on it. We have just about got it modified to the way we want it. Looking at our health and age, this will be the last RV that we will get. It should last another 7 to 10 years. Looked at some new ones at the RV show in Kanasa City and did not see anything that I had to have.
You all have a great day.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Four years of full timing and many many thousands of miles and we still love our '05 3475 but logic tells us that 100,000 miles is far enough to travel in one unit. We ordered the Hickory Big Sky and will not be putting on nearly as many miles with the BS as we did so, hopefully, we will keep the new one until we leave the road. Two more weeks... Yeah!!!!

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
This is our first Montana which we plan on staying in all summer at our radio stations' transmiter/tower site for the summer. Last year in our Keystone Challenger, we spent around 150 nites in it and this year it should be more in our Montana if all our snow melts this spring.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Gail and I are planning to stay with the Challenger for another couple years or so. That is, probably about the time we retire.

Then, there will be a new dually for sure, and the upgrade will be to a Big Sky and 2 other SOB's that are on our short list when we get ready to see exactly who is going to give us the best deal.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We are still in love with the front living room and until we see a floor plan that jumps out and says "WOW" we will probably keep this one. We thought about the 350 Big Sky once at a RV show, but couldn't decide and now it is no longer an option. So we will wait and see if another floor plan works for us in the future. I agree with the others though we spend a little more on the one we have and make it what we want rather than purchase a new one and start all over again.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I kept my first RV for two years before trading in for my current 3400RL. This coach is going on its 6th year with me and depending on how often I continue to use it, will be the deciding factor of keeping it or trading it off.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #20
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Bingo, that side aisle, enclosed bathroom, and separate washer/dryer situation is something I didn't know existed, even in an SOB. For us, even using our rig part-time, the separate, enclosed bathroom was a priority. We really do like it, especially when the grandkids are with us. We are happy with our Splendide combo too, because we aren't fulltiming. Having a washer at all is a luxury for the travel we do. However, the comments I've read on the MOC boards about the positives of having separate washer/dryer units make sense to me.

While we could fulltime happily for the rest of our lives in the Montana we have, after living in it for a year while building our home, we did realize that there were some things would like to have if the deal and time were right for buying a Montana with those features. The separate, enclosed bath is still a priority, but a desk area is also a priority. The pull-out tray in the 3585 doesn't work for all the computer work I have to do. A seperate W/D setup would be a nice touch, too. But, if I had to give up either the bathroom setup, desk setup, or W/D setup, it would be a no-brainer decision. We'd keep the combo W/D unit and go for the desk and private bathroom.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote