Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have two aftermarket levels stuck to the outside of our late 2006 3400RL. I've found that they cannot be trusted at times. I haven't figured it totally out but I do think the frame flexes and settles a bit after awhile which would be expected. There are times when those two outside levels agree with the refrigerator check, etc, and then times when it doesn't. We do use a king pin tripod but there are also times when I don't think it helps all that much. There are also times when I can get the whole RV solid as a rock and then there are times when I have to tinker with it a while and then it is kind of a guessing game as to what is wrong. I have always believed that being truly level all the way around is directly related to the end resulting stability. I don't have any scientific facts to back this up but when it is right, it is right, all the way around. I do carefully shim each leg on the front landing gear to try to get equal load on each one. And am using wheel jacks between the tires. I sure would be open to anyone's suggestions on this subject as I have had some trouble here at times. Maybe a new thread is required relating to only stability issues.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by beakyfudd

I've used the refer door(if you don't have a small level) as a final confirmation of being level. Open it and see if it swings any particular way. Timandsusan, what was the outside temp? I have one of those large bubble levels mounted on the Morryde pin box, with the ball inside, and when it's cold outside, it takes longer for the ball to seek the lowest point. I've driven up on the ramp that I use, to a certain point, thought it was level, and a few minutes later, had to back down alot to achieve level.
I have to agree with beakyfudd on this one. Over the years I have found that there are times the big level on the pin box can actually take a minute or so for the ball to finally settle down to it's most level point. BUT once it has settled it does not change, at least not on my rig.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We checked out how Helen determines "level" Her last check is to open the bathroom door at a 45 degree angle and it stays there and the Golf ball on the counter top in front of he fridge . Sure enough those two points are dead center level. Every other place I can find to set a level is a bit off. Of course perhaps those two points are "off" and eveything else is "level" Apparently our skilled craftsmen make litle use of the old fashoned level and maybe a shim or two.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #24
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Yes, I think the settling idea with a "ball bearing" type level is reasonable. The temps were typical for Texas Winter--about 70! Once the ball settles, it does not move from my experience. Again this is not a constant issue but just one that I noticed on this trip. I also use a good 3 foot level that I place on the floor if I need to really check things. I used it to check the bubble level when I install it. I appreciate all the comments and it seems there are others who have solutions to our common issues. Again--THANKS!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #25
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I use a bubble level in the freezer compartment and when I have that level I then calabrate the Big level on the outside to what the one in the freezer is. I also agree with Glenn on the reaction time on the level. years ago the level was made of hardened glass and the ball berring reacted quicker, now the use a plastic tube and it dosent work as good as they use to as far as ball movement.