Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Montana Quality Issues

Not to start a controversy, but lately I've read a few posts on the internet indicating recent quality issues with Montana. We've been pretty happy with our rig overall but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this sort of stuff?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We have a 2017 HC 352RL witch love the layout and the room we have not had any real
problems at all some loos cabinet hardware and a adjustment here and there but all
things that are normal with all Rv's this is are 5th over the years and I had a small water
leak at the pump. we have putt about 5,000 miles on it since January so in my mind it is
a very good built Rig. You need to remember that keystone does not make all the part
that go into you Montana.
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbanjo View Post
Not to start a controversy, but lately I've read a few posts on the internet indicating recent quality issues with Montana. We've been pretty happy with our rig overall but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this sort of stuff?
I had similar concerns so I recently started a thread called "Montana Issues - True or False". You might check it out as there are plenty of responses and opinions of owners on this forum.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Missed that. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When someone has a problem, it's real and if their dealer is crap it can and will make you angry. If you're angry you will let folks know. If you're happy you have no reason to let folks know. With thousand of members, many of us multiple Montana owners, you can see that while the quality of all RV manufacturers are a serious issue, Montana's are no better or worse than the others.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It seams to me the new campers have more quality problems than the older ones. It might be the problems are different. The first Montanas had frame cracking problems. They fixed that with wider frames. Then they had problems with the front end frames breaking up. That seems to have been fixed. Now we get problems like walls not being assembled right and little stuff, trim falling off. That sort of stupid stuff.
I think you will always have problems with this type of product. Everybody wonts to put them out as fast and cheap as possible. So you cut back on QC and speed up the assembly line in order to make more money. Money is the way business keep score.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with what Dick has said above. We are on our 3rd Montana and have only minor problems with them. My dealer told me once that if Keystone does not fix it that he would. Many times the dealer will say Keystone won't fix it when they have never called them. They are hoping you will pay for it because they make more money then they do from the Keystone warranty.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Good points all around. For us, it was the opposite problem: our 2004 had many issues and the 2013 just run-of-the mill stuff really. Except for the extremely pricey makers, probably similar issues with other companies.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
You need to spend more time "IN" your Montana rather than trolling the internet looking for trouble.
There are also others on this forum who have moved on to SOB and can't resist trolling this forum telling over and over on similar threads how they hated their Montana and are now happy with their SOB.
I'm here to be helpful and to get help. I love my Montana and have not had any problems directly caused by the factory.
JMHO
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
You need to spend more time "IN" your Montana rather than trolling the internet looking for trouble.
There are also others on this forum who have moved on to SOB and can't resist trolling this forum telling over and over on similar threads how they hated their Montana and are now happy with their SOB.
I'm here to be helpful and to get help. I love my Montana and have not had any problems directly caused by the factory.
JMHO
I'm not sure who you think you are, but you don't know ANYTHING about me. I've been a member here for over a decade and owned two Montanas. My wife and I are looking into full timing and possibly buying a new Montana (or other) to do it in. It's called research, not trolling. Not that I owe someone as rude as you an explanation.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Why is it when you have something negative to say that is a fact either about a Keystone Product or Marcus Lemonis ceo of crapers world it gets deleted??????
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
To be honest, in twelve years here I've never seen anything censored. If it happened, I'm not aware of it and if it did I'm guessing there was a good reason. Also, until prindl's post here everyone I've dealt with has been courteous and decent
Old 09-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Yeah, the only thing I've seen censored are my political rants. Of course, I've learned my lesson (got that administrators?).
Just want to add, I am extremely happy with my Montana. I bought it used in '13 and, with the help of the experts on this forum, have had much good fortune. After reading a lot of the negative stuff, I don't think I'll be rolling the dice on a new one anytime soon.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Back in the old days, the sensors were very active...not so much recently.

Re Montana quality. The Montana has been the most sold 5th wheel in the country for the past number of years. There are a great many on the road, thus many problems.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #15
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Back in the old days, the sensors were very active...not so much recently.

Re Montana quality. The Montana has been the most sold 5th wheel in the country for the past number of years. There are a great many on the road, thus many problems.
Excellent point! Also, the points made that people complain more than praise in general, human nature.

Wayne
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
Why is it when you have something negative to say that is a fact either about a Keystone Product or Marcus Lemonis ceo of crapers world it gets deleted??????

Very little content is removed but the forum has rules http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

among these are prohibitions on political discussions. This is an RV board not a political discussion board and Montana owners are extraordinarily diverse bunch; political views are all over the map and a distraction from the topic at hand. There are many things we don;t agree about in the political spectrum but we do share an interest in Montanas and rving in common - let's stick to that.

The second is discussions that are clearly vendor disputes. While it's ok to post about repair issues and dealer concerns it's not ok to post to disparage another entity for the sole purpose of discrediting them. This is called libel and it's uncool in the USA. The forum is not venue for rants and unfettered opinion. We expect posts to be polite, informative and on topic. Negative experiences are fair game for discussion but should reflect a members OWN PERSONAL experience and not simply an attempt to discredit another person.

Disputes with vendors need to be settled with the vendor and not litigated on the forum as we have no power to make any real impact. As the other party typically is not posting, we get one side of the story anyway...

Finally - if you have a concern about a post removal please contact a moderator via PM. We are not going to discuss the details of a members account or moderator interactions on the public forum - we have a privacy policy in place to protect member information and it applies to account actions as well. This is outlined in the forum rules as well.

Moving forward we will try to do a better job of letting you know when a post was removed and why but it will be via PM. You can bet the reason however should be clear if you take a look at the board rules.

You can help. If you see a problem post please use the report post button to get a moderators attention... don't take matters into your own hands and respond however as it just amps up hostilities.

Thanks for understanding

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Quote:
I'm not sure who you think you are, but you don't know ANYTHING about me. I've been a member here for over a decade and owned two Montanas. My wife and I are looking into full timing and possibly buying a new Montana (or other) to do it in. It's called research, not trolling. Not that I owe someone as rude as you an explanation.
I wish I had done more research on the current Montana's like you are right now. I am pretty sure I would not have bought it. I paid three times more for this camper than I did my last 5 and I have had 10 times more trouble, heart ache, crying wife and blood pressure issues. Are they all made shoddy now as mentioned... don't know but I wish I had spent a lot more time looking at the current manufacturers. Love the floor plan, hate the issues.

Keep up the research.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do all the research you can. Do the tours of the different factories. Join the manufacturers forums most have one like the MOC.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
And apply the same level of research on dealer selection.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
And apply the same level of research on dealer selection.
Can I ask what you mean by 'dealer selection'?