Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Mission Get Montana -4/28 update

Hello RV friends,
First of all thank you very much for all who have been following our Montana's cross-country "maiden" voyage. The replies with support, interest and helpful tips have been invaluable.
Recap; we dead-headed from Folsom, CA to Chicago [we used to live there in the 90's] and picked up the 2955 RL in the Windy City [conducted a Cliff notes pin box modification on for the Pullrite slider] and then towed to MI and stayed a few days and then departed south. The first night south we caught some Z's just south of Louisville. Next Nashville [we used to live there in the 80's] was home for a couple days .
We left Country Music City yesterday morning and aimed the D/A and 5'ver companion south/southwest on I-40. As we approached Memphis, the rain started and then suddenly with a row of 18 wheelers on each side of us we the moderate rain turned into Niagra Falls and pretty much hung around for the next 100 miles! For me [with entrance-level 5th wheel towing experience] it was trial-by-fire [or should I say water?]. Anyway the good news is that it's now Monday morning and we are having breakfast here in Russellville, AR at Ivy's Cove RV Retreat [nice place with pull thru's and all hook-ups-23.00] and I can't find a scratch on The Monty, the D/A, Kathy or Sami-the-Lab-so apparently we survived the torrents unscathed [I know you will question my inspection priorities here-hopefully Kathy and Sami will not read this].
The Montana and all systems are getting an "A' plus for towing ease and all on-board systems performing trouble free. We just feel better everyday about Mr. Montana.
OK so today's adventure will include us doing our part to make a dent in diesel fuel inventories and hopefully reach our destination of somewhere west of Oklahoma, City. Incidentally, we are planning on towing our new big white friend through through Death Valley. If anyone has some do's or don'ts that would be great. I imagine we are a couple days out from that destination.
I still have not figured out why we snack so much while on the road. I think it's caused by smiling so much lately.
Life is good....
Take care,
Jim n Kathy

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Thanks for the recap and update. Always nice to see a plan come together, and be able to enjoy it. Unless you have some time constraints, slow down and enjoy the trip. You are already planning to spend the big $ for Diesel. There is a lot to see out there. Its easy to spend 4 or 5 days in Death Valley (if the temp is cool). Best of luck on the rest of the trip, and keep us posted on it.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim n Kathy,
Rogue posted some good advice. Slow down and enjoy the flowers. Rain is not a problem, but Niagara Falls rain can hurt you if you are not careful. Not like a lot of folks that travel, you have the opportunity to pull off somewhere and go watch television. You get to continue your journey safely later. I'm not trying to preach, I just wish everyone a safe trip.

Glad you made it through a-ok.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim and Kathy,

Unless you are approaching Death Valley this week you are in for some very warm/hot weather. The middle of April is about as late as you will want to visit DV. Don't get me wrong DV is one of my most favorite places but I usually go no later than February or March.

Steve and Vicki Reigle visited DV about this time of year and almost burned up! It was very hot.

If you've visited DV before you know that the roads are sort of narrow. Not the best of places for a trial run with a new 5er. Again don't get me wrong. This is a wonderful place to visit and spend some time I'm just concerned that it might be a bit late in the season.

Whatever you do enjoy!

Below you will find a link to DV weather. Actually not too bad except of one day.

Death Valley Weather link

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote