Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
US 83 from Texas to South Dakota

OK, I was enlightened on another thread about taking other roads other than the interstate to get from point A to point B. Wanting to take the DW to see Mt Rushmore this Spring, the shortest route is on US 83 all the way from Abilene, Texas to Murdo, South Dakota. Taking 83 would shave 300 miles and $150 in fuel costs off the trip up there.

Need feedback guys, looks like some long stretches of road without truck stops, forgiving grades or road, etc. Would you take this route?

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Steve,
I have been on portions of US Hwy 83 and have intersected it many times. I was ok with it. It is a US Hwy and usually US Hwys are well traveled and have sections with 4 lanes. Speed limit usually about 65. Some larger towns have a loop that will skirt the town. It being a US Hwy it will have larger stations along the way with easy access because trucks will use US Hwys. Diesel shouldn't be a problem. You will probably find city parks and rest areas along the way for breaks. Smaller towns will sometimes also have large stations on the outskirts of town.

I have not taken 83 from Abilene to Murdo but saying that I would not hesitate to take it all the way. 300 miles savings is a lot of miles cut off your trip. I like US Hwys. Sometimes you will run into a section where they are improving just as you run into areas like that on interstates. Truck traffic will vary from place to place, depending on the season.

Perhaps someone else has traveled US 83 the entire length from Abilene to Murdo SD and could jump in here and give you their thoughts.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would. I've never been on that highway and that's one reason I'd take it if we were making your trip. Just get yourself either the RV'ers Friend or the Trucker's Friend. The latter is available in many truckstops. The former is available online and at some bookstores. Check amazon.com . I think that's where we got our RV'ers Friend.

Those books show you all the truck stops (both books) and non-truck stops (rv'ers friend) that provide enough room for rv's to maneuver. You don't need both. I think rv'ers friend is a bit better for us than the truckers friend because it also shows non-truck stops that work for us. And, of course, we have found stations that work that are too new to be in either book. We've never had a problem finding fuel when we need it. But I don't run down close to empty before consulting the book, either.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the trip. You'll probably have lots of flatland on that route but I'd take it anyhow. In Nebraska I might cut over so I could go to Scott's Bluff. I've always wanted to see the bluffs there that are mentioned in history. But that's just me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Try this:

Trucker's Friend
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Seeing what TV you have, and knowing the range I have with mine, I'd put a couple diesel cans in the bed. Even if you don't need the fuel, it sure is comforting to know it is there.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Willie and Wayne,

Thanks for the input! Thats what I was thinking. I'm assuming that the big rigs travel these roads as well but their range is greater than mine. I thought at least if I got in a pinch I'd have to make several fill and drains from a 5 gallon jerry can in case I could not fit into a town's only diesel pump. This is the route we're going to take, I've done it before but I wasn't a RV owner back then and was not observant to the potential hazards towing would encounter.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Steve,
I think you will do just fine on that route. Enjoy your time up in the Black Hills. That is another beautiful area of the country IMHO. Along the way you will probably encounter a lot of smaller towns that are not on the map with interesting sights.
Happy Travels and hope to run into you along the byways out there. There are so many to see yet.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, we travel US highways far more than Interstates. We've never had need to use the 5 gallon can in the toolbox. I really don't think you'll have a problem finding fuel. And, keep in mind, I also have to have ULSD and still don't have a problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Steve,
As you probably already do when in a driving situation like that, is to stop anytime you see a fuel stop and top off. Keeps you from having to use that jerry can. If you want me to, I can use Microsoft Street and Trips and tell you every gas station along the way, and their phone number. Might take me a little while, but hey, I'm retarded (retired).

Edited: Doing a quick look using "live search," for diesel tells me you will not have any problem finding fuel. I love MS Streets and Trips.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, not really. I start looking when we're between 1/4 and 1/2 tank remaining. Vicki tells me where the stations are and I pick one that puts us right around 1/4 tank remaining, just in case that station went out of business.

I've used Street Atlas with a GPS, Streets and Trips with a GPS, and my Garmin 2720. They all have those POI gas stations but I've yet to see one that can tell me which have diesel and have room for an rv to maneuver. That's why I like the RV'ers Friend and/or the trucker's friend. When we are traveling and just overnighting we normally do not unhitch unless necessary to reach some semblance of level. Or we decided to go out to eat. So we usually are hitched when filling up.

You're right, though. The mapping software can help. It sure would be nice if they could tell us where to find diesel in an rv friendly station, though.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Yeah, I run streets and trips on the laptop plus I use my TomTom720, like the TomTom much better. Neither have just listings for Diesel stops sorry to say. The plan is to top off when convenient although we may have burned just a half tank. Saw the note for the RV books and am pondering ordering me a copy - looks like a great investment!!

Still, a empty 5 gallon Diesel can would not hurt. They weigh less than a pound and could be handy for the farthest trip we've planned so far!!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I do carry a five gallon "can" (from Walmart) of diesel in the toolbox, on the advice of those in this forum. But my reason was not taking US Highways, it was when we bought this Dodge in early June we were unsure how often we'd find ULSD. That's not been a problem. So, now every three months or so I empty that can into the tank and refill the can. Just in case. And I'd do the same on interstates.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If I were to travel and find a fuel stop that was not conducive to pulling in the RV, I'd unhook it in a a safe place, leave the DW and Husky/Chow guarding it, and then go to the fuel stop.

There is no way my injured rotator cuffs would allow me to haul 8-10 trips of 5 gallons of diesel fuel. There is an alternative to growing old, and I don't like it. So, I'll just unhook and fill up. What is that, five minutes of my time?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's probably a good solution. Fortunately we've never had a problem finding the correct fuel in a place we can get in and out of. But will keep this approach in mind as a last resort.

However, I don't intend to make several trips at five gallons per trip, either. My purpose for carrying a five gallon can full of ulsd diesel in the toolbox is to be able to add five gallons to my range until we find a station, should I ever have that need. Failing that, then I'd use your unhitching method.

Fortunately I've never had to do either and doubt I ever will. We've probably done somewhere north of 75,000 towing miles on non-interstates in the past five years and roughly 15,000 in the past year. Never a problem finding diesel.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #15
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Steve,took that from Carrizo Springs Tx. to S.Dakota the first week in Sept.2007 Would do it again,good road,didn't carry an extra fuel can.Had a little road const. not bad. Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #16
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We took that same route in reverse a few years ago - from Mt. Rushmore and Wall Drug back to N. Texas. We have a V-10 ga$$er (rather than deisel) so had no problems at all. We stayed overnight at a neat little city-owned campground and park in North Platte, NE (Cody Park right on 83).
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=18117102
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote