Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I found instructions and advice on using the Powder Calgon at this site, interesting read.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/home

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Liquid Calgon is usually at all Walmarts, it's just real hard to find and even employees can seem to find it. More then once I have spent a half hour scouring the shelves in the laundry and softner dept. But yeah I use a slurp of Calgon and a dribble of laundry detergent. Not much on exact measuring.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
We have found that adding one or 2 cap fulls of liquid fabric softener does just a good of a job as the Calgon and much easier to find and we always have it on hand. Hugs, Di
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #24
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
We use 1 scoop of powdered Borax and one scoop of cheap owdered detergent in the black tank each time it is emptied. We have done this for several years and it seems to work fine. I have however discovered one No No. Don't leave the powered vent on in the toilet room all the time. When you flush it will draw in air from the black tank roof vent. That really doesn't smell good.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Has anyone used the dishwasher packets?
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Grampachet,
I read in another area that the Cascade Packets are good because they maintain a granular quality for scrubbing, but no I personally have not used them. I guess a test would be to drop a packet into a bottle, slosh it a few times a day and at the end of the day see if the granular is still there-by feel. Also they do not produce a large amount of suds.

To the OP - I have not used anything in my gray water. When it dumps it is chalky white because of all the soap used in showering. My galley tank is discolored but flows very well and I suspect it is because of all the dish soap used to wash dishes, so I don't personally think there is any need in the gray or galley tanks.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We use a laundry scoop of cascade dishwasher powdered soap after each dumping.....add a minute or so of water through the tank washer.....and the result of driving makes the tanks crystal clean, evidenced by looking at the clear dump connection. Cascade is cheap at Costco in the big box, and usually will last us about 4 months.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
I have used fabic softner, due to the 'hunt' for Calgon. Seems to work well
Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
WOW! I am totally intriqued by this thread! So if I am understanding correctly we could stop using those expensive little blue packets (don't know what they are called) and just put the various options in replace of it and it does a better job? YEAH! That would be nice! Now I just have to pick an option (Boraxo, Cascade, or Calgon +/- laundry detergent)....oh so many options that are WAY CHEAPER! LOVE IT! Thanks!

Have any of you read the article that was in a recent Costco magazine that their toilet paper is usable in RV and is actually better than the special super pricey stuff?! We haven't tried it in our brand new rig but thought I would mention it to you full timers and see if you have tried it.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #30
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We've used Angel Soft since day one. To test a particular brand, take one sheet and place it in a glass of water. Shake it and, if after a minute, it has dissolved you are good to go.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #31
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Good to know snfexpress! I found some liquid Calgon today at Albertson's in laundry aisle near the Downy. Now I just have to remember what I am supposed to do with it!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #32
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Did the TP test last night with the NEW Kirkland (Costco) brand toilet paper where you put two squares in a glass of water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then you gently stir with a pencil. It really broke apart into little bitty bits! YEAH! No more expensive toilet paper for us! Now I just got to figure out the calgon ratios!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
X2 on the Angel Soft.
One capful of Calgon in the black tank plus a gallon or two of H2O and it's good to go until the next flush. We have had to add one of those little blue packs to the black tank when it's extremely hot but mostly just the Calgon...trying to keep it simple. I also take my time when flushing out the black tank using a Sewer Solution and the black tank flusher until the water runs clear. Some have used Galgon in the grey tanks as well but we have not done that.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote