Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Redskals
Established Member

M.O.C. #18866
EGR/DPF delete

Typo in the thread title..... EGR/DPF****

Has anyone done this on their diesel?

We have a 2014 Chevy Duramax 3500HD.

Engine light came on. We are in TX, registered and inspected.
The diesel shop recommends the DELEte. Claim we will have better fuel mileage and won’t have a problem with this system again. Claim we WILL pass emissions test but we aren’t required of this in my county.

Thoughts? I’m concerned how this will affect our towing.

Redskals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There was an interesting discussion a few days ago about deletes. Someone said a dealer would not, or could not, take a truck with delete as a trade in. True or not, I have no idea.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
My experience with electronic diesels has been that rarely do does the light come on without leaving a fault code. Some repair shops can’t see all of those. My 2012 Duramax had sensor issues for the exh system, glow plugs and fuel injectors. The local shop ( not a dealer) couldn’t diagnose those. Dealer replaced at no charge. Most dealers won’t like the fact that someone has has used the delete thing.
Idalogger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
your warranty will be shot if you are under warranty.
as for taking one on for trade that is a state by state case depending on local laws.
if you do go through with the delete keep all your parts!!!
I plan on deleting when my warranty is up, (more of performance/reliability issue) I will keep all my parts in case, I relocate and that state requires emission testing, visual inspection or the local enforcement changes. have read in other forums (Ram, Cummins) that some states troopers were inspecting trucks and sighting them remember emissions is a federal issues not a local one. just some food for thought.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Yes may be state dependent, but I know some Dealers will require you as the owner to sign a document that the truck is stock and has not been deleted. I have no idea what could happen to you if you falsely sign that document.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That shop is right. You will get better fuel mileage, about one mile per gallon if you are lucky. You will never have any trouble with the DPF or the DEF.
I took all the pollution controls off of my 08 Ford. The reason I did that was because I had 13% fuel in the oil when the industrial standard was less then 2%. It did make a far better truck, much more responsive, more power, the transmission shifts better. 600 HP and 1100 pound feet of torque isn’t bad either.
You don’t haft to worry about fuel in your oil. GM injects fuel in the DPF not in the engine like my Ford. As for the warranty go talk to the tech at your Chevy dealer. Ford don’t check they take the tech’s word or at least did the last time I ask.
It’s your truck if you wont the power and a better truck go for it but know what you are getting in to first. Do a lot of research on the tuner before you spend your money.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
Removing smog control is illegal. If I were going to do it I would not post it here or anywhere else. We are all being watched not paranoid just the truth.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My truck tows fine just as it is. No deletes .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
If engine light comes on, find out the reason. Checked mine at Advanced, they came up with code P21DD; when checked on Google, came up with a DEF system problem. Had it at the GM Dealer yesterday they came up with DTC2100 and replaced the DEF reservoir kit with an improved 23379348. MY truck is still within warranty, but I understand GM extended the warranty on early DEF trucks due to many failures.
Stay away from tunes and deletes, you will have piston, rod and crankshaft failures. When GM up'd the BHP and Torque for 2017 they found it necessary to strengthen all of these components; pistons had changes to the pin hole and introduced re-melt to the bowl edge, rods went to a larger crank end that necessitated angling the split line, crank journal size went up and I suspect there was some changes to the undercut radius. GM's latest durability mods will probably be good for 500 bhp and 1000 ft lbs, after that some major material changes would be required. (As a GM engineer used to say: "Aluminum is for pots and pans, steel is for pistons".
whiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
Built by dodge shaken by Cummins. My 1999 has 750,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I sold it because I needed more pulling power for the Montana.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I installed a delete kit on my 2007 Ram a couple of years ago. I would do it again in a heartbeat. You will get a little better mileage and when in the tow mode on the Mini Max you will get about 30-40 more horsepower. One thing to watch is your cooling system is designed for a stock setting so you can overheat and go into limp mode if you push it on hills. So if you are past warranty do it.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
I just got my 11 2500hd back from service today..DEF crap again. I asked my service rep about getting service on a modified truck. HE said not really a problem..one customer deleted a 16 at about 300 miles. NOW, he gave me a number to call to a diesel shop. I called the shop, and as expected, the tech said NO WAY would they do it and he knew of some that had done it and has some legal issues. I like my truck, I like it quiet, I like that it don't smoke, but I hate the fact that the big three has made the customers be their R&D department. The government mandated this crap and the big three done a sorry azz job of perfecting it before selling us out trucks. Will I delete or even tune mine? Probably not, but I will continue to bitch every time it messes up. I was stranded 400 miles from home.. max speed 55.. that is a safety issue for me and my family. I wrote GM a long and insulting email about them sacrificing my family's safety. As you might imagine, no reply.
hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgrowl View Post
We are all being watched not paranoid just the truth.
Have you ever watched "Person of Interest" on TV? You'd love it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
My truck tows fine will pull a house off its foundation. I would delete all the smog crap in a minute except I live in Kalifornia the 51st state and everything here is fubar.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I suspect the that shop said no because it’s illegal to remove them. Go see them in person. If you would have taken your truck you may have got a different answer. If they won’t remove it someone else will.
Lynwood
Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
I can't speak to the GM or Cummins engines, but I did dread a reliable source on the internet that doing a EGR delete will not solve the issues with the 6.0 powerstroke.

I personally did not delete the EGR or the cat convertor on mine when I did an engine rebuild. The EGR does create more heat in the intake thus higher EGT's under load. A good EGR cooler upgrade can take care of the heat related failures of the EGR coolers.

The Cat convertor helps reduce oxides of Nitrogen compounds common in high EGT diesel engines (caused by bio-diesel mixes).

In my case, I would not do the EGR or DEF (although I don't have DEF thank God) as they do have a specific purpose to clean up the air.

YMMV.

Mike
allmi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
I can't speak to the GM or Cummins engines, but I did dread a reliable source on the internet that doing a EGR delete will not solve the issues with the 6.0 powerstroke.

I personally did not delete the EGR or the cat convertor on mine when I did an engine rebuild. The EGR does create more heat in the intake thus higher EGT's under load. A good EGR cooler upgrade can take care of the heat related failures of the EGR coolers.

Mike
Bought our '06 F350 Dually Laredo five years back. The truck only had 28k miles on it and I paid $28k for it. Figured if the engine blew up, I could put a new one in and still be ahead. I read about everything posted online about 6.0s and was about to do the EGR delete and change out the oil cooler when I came across a big post by a retired Ford assembly line guy. He said they'd see sand falling out of new blocks after being put on engine stands and spun over to install misc. stuff. International made them for school buses and short haul box trucks, not pickups, and never really cleaned the blocks out after casting. Ford didn't either. He recommended power flushing the cooling system, putting on an aftermarket coolant filter and not doing anything else. That's what I did right away. The power flush machine was like a visible gas pump and the old coolant was grey in color! Since then I've had one injector go bad (they're mechanical and need a lubricating additive - my bad) and an internal high pressure oil line break in 48k miles of mostly towing the Monty. That includes three trips out west and towing at 65 - 70 mph, up and down mountains, etc. Truck has been a great buy - and NO DEF!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The head bolts on the 6s aren’t strong enough either. They will stretch and allow the head to lift just enough to leak. A larger OD set of head bolts will prevent this. Remember these engines were designed for a low power truck application and Ford hopped them, 160 HP to 325 HP and put them in a pickup to compete with the Duramax. Before the 6 L Ford had the 7.3 with 225 or 250 HP.
Lynwood
Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #19
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The head bolts on the 6s aren’t strong enough either. They will stretch and allow the head to lift just enough to leak. A larger OD set of head bolts will prevent this. Remember these engines were designed for a low power truck application and Ford hopped them, 160 HP to 325 HP and put them in a pickup to compete with the Duramax. Before the 6 L Ford had the 7.3 with 225 or 250 HP.
Lynwood
Not true unless you've chipped it. Ford didn't make them put out more than they were designed for. It's those that keep wanting to go faster.