Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
TV systems

Hi, All,

What do you folks use for your TV viewing on the road?

- Dish Network, Directv, other?
- Which providers? Are they good, not so good?
- Do they provide HD and/or DVR with their receiver?
- What does your provider charge for your service?
- Do you get a high-quality picture in the geographies you've
visited?
- Has your system been reliable?
- Would you use the same system again?

Thanks again for the great feedback,
-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

We are not full timers, but have ours set up for both cable and satellite. We take a receiver from the house and put it in. I have the portable dome and all I do is plug in and I have picture when I get in. We have direct TV right now and the antenna dish only gets standard definition. I have had great reception and picture every where we have been on the west coast.

Last week, I was at the mall with Father in law. He had heard about the new dish set ups. They tell me that with a Dish receiver you can control that TV and there is another remote that can control a second tv, although that one would be SD. This would be a great feature for an RV if it works as advertised. I also inquired about local channels and the guy told me that the spot signal changes based on your location, so any market you would be in, you would get the locals. He told me there is no extra costs involved. He recommended I get three receivers and just leave one in the RV.

Anyone using the Dish receivers set up this way? I feel if the guy was truthful about the way it works, this would be a great setup for an RV.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Hi all well i have Dish at home and yes it does only use one receiver for 2 t.v. but on the road i have direct receiver in my camper and i guess the only reason is my son gave me the receiver he is paying for it,,,,,but there both good i use the portable dome dish so it works great just set it outside and plug it up and with in 2 mins i have a signal
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have DirecTV. I won't get into cost because of the various programming things you can get. Ours is around $65/month. Yes I'd do it again. I like DirecTV a little better than Dish because of its ease of setting up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We use Dish @ the house with one receiver/dvr for multiple tvs. The way it works is that the cable comes from the dish to the receiver. The receiver has a splitter that sends SD out to the cable in the rest of the house. You can connect TV's anywhere along your cable 'network".

The limitation is that the other TV's are only standard def and all can view the one channel at a time. The main TV can be watching/recording a different channel.

Remote TV's use the 2nd remote which is an Rf remote using a radio signal to control the channels.

I take the reciever with us in the Monte and use it the same way we do at home.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have DirecTv HD and use a Winegard Traveler roof top automatic satellite seeking dish. When we get settled we push one button and it raises and locks onto the sats, as long as you're not covered by trees, then we use a portable dish, which I hate. We only have one TV right now but are contemplating a second. DTV offers a DVR which I am planning on getting but I need to run another cable from the dish to the receiver. We have the works and pay dearly for it, but this is our choice for our lifestyle. We added a 32inch HDTV and a quality 7.1 receiver and a quality DVD player plus Bose (no highs, no lows) speakers. Works fine and would do it again. System has been reliable and we get great reception as long as we are not under the trees. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Our system is similar to Phil's. We have the HD dual DVR reciver in the livingroom and a regular reciver in the bedroom.

We went with Direct because of the RV waiver giving us the East Coast and West Coast feeds for network channels. Carolyn loves the Winguard Traveler auto antenna. With HD the Winguard makes setting up the HD antenna easy. When I had the Winguard put on I had them run 2 cables into the livingroom and one into the bedroom. These cables are from the antenna to the boxes. I still have the standard cables plus the extra I ran into the bedroom for protable antenna hookup and cable conection.

The cost for Direct is similar to what we payed for Dish but we now have the east coast/west coast feed.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote