Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Uneven tire wear on Mission tires & 2006 3400RL

Adjusted the brakes on our late 2006 3400RL today which has around 8,000 road miles on it. Noticed that the right front tire is wearing heavily on the outside edge. All other tires look good and are wearing evenly. The rest of the tread on the right front tire looks ok. Since the unusual wear is only on the right outside edge and not on both the inside and outside edges I am ruling out low air pressure. I'm running all tires at the rated pressure as noted on the tag on the RV and if my memory is accurate at 70 psi.

So the question I have is this: Do I have a bent axle? A badly manufactured Mission tire? Or what is causing this and what might be a good solution? I'm thinking of putting the spare on this wheel to see if it wears unevenly as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: No cracks showing on the Mission tires.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You might have the first Mission Tire that actually wore out!

Might be alignment.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I would suspect that this has more to do with axle alignment, than the tires. See if you can locate an alignment shop that understands trailer axle alignment. (Most do not). Ask around at dealerships in your area.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Took the tire and rim into three different local tire shops. All gave me an 80% or better assement that the tread/plys were starting to seperate with only a slight chance of the axle being out of alignment. So I took the spare and the bad wheel to the tire shop and asked them to switch rims since the spare isn't the same rim as the other 4. They wouldn't remount the bad tire on the spare's rim because it was against their policy to mount a bad tire. So I'll mount the bad tire on the spare rim myself and use it as a spare until I can get Mission to send me 5 new tires. My memory wasn't so good on the recommended pressure. It supposed to be 80 psi cold, not 70 psi, according to the tag on the RV. Now I can't remember or find what the wheel nut torque is supposed to be. Thought I had found that in a manual or on a tag somewhere but now I can't find it. Anyone happen to know what it is supposed to be? Also anyone happen to know the phone number for Tireco for the replacement Mission tires? I'm not ready to put $800 plus of good brand tires on the RV yet after just doing that on the truck. Maybe a foolish decision. I hope not.

Hopefully, the Mission tires will survive another 1600 miles on our trip to AZ and then I can replace them all with the replacement tires from Tireco after we get there. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Called Tireco today and they will ship me 5 replacement tires once we get to AZ. If we have trouble with the tires on the way to AZ, I need to save the old tires to get a refund for the road tire replacement costs. The Information TireCo needed off the tires was:

Brand = Mission
Size = ST235/80R16
DOT # = (Ours) DOT4YB3 CQ1C 0306
Problem = (Ours) Tread/ply separation and cracking.

Had a little trouble getting them to replace all 5. They only wanted to replace 4. But after a little coaching they decided to replace all 5. Need to call them when I get to AZ so they can ship them to me. If I had them shipped now and we had trouble on the road it would have been a more complex issue. Hopefully the new spare and the other three older Missions will hold up for another 1600 miles. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We haver arrived in our RV Resort in AZ. No tire failures. More to come.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Glad you arrived safely!

We're buying a new Big Sky and part of the deal was that I keep my ALCOA rims and after market tires. I don't trust the Mission tires.

Tire pressure and lug nut torque for your unit is 80 psi and 120 pounds.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean A Van Peursem

Now I can't remember or find what the wheel nut torque is supposed to be. Thought I had found that in a manual or on a tag somewhere but now I can't find it. Anyone happen to know what it is supposed to be?
I torque mine at 120 lbs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We made it to AZ with 4 Mission tires and an uninflated Mission spare tire without further failures but the inside edge of the left front tire is now also showing excessive wear. May be also tread separation but since I have now had excessive wear on the outside edge of the right front tie and on the inside edge of left front tire, the front axle needs to be checked for alignment to see if it is causing or at least expediting the premature Mission tire failures. Anyone else have this kind of excessive tread wear just on the edge and not elsewhere on the tire?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
The actual torque value is 110-120 lbs-ft. Keystone has a DVD that explains what torque values are to be used. Maybe you can get Keystone to send you one. I too had problems with Mission tires and won't ever, repeat, EVER use them again. Another problem that causes outside edge tire wear is an overweight condition. Even though the tires are pressurized to the correct pressure if the rig is overweight the tires will perform as if they were underpressurized which causes outside wear. Unbalanced weight can cause an overweight condition on just one tire. It pays to have your rig weighed on all four wheels individually at the same time because it will tell you if your are overweight and/or unbalanced.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Erwin,

I've weighed our unit several times but just an axle at a time not by individual wheel but not on the last two trips. Since both front axle tires are wearing excessively on the right edge of the tires, I think I can rule out being over weight on one side but I suppose I could be overweight on the whole front axle but I would think that would get distributed to both axles by the spring setup. I don't have the written records handy at the moment but as I recall all four axles, truck and 3400RL were running around 5200 to 5500 lbs each. And I think that was before I removed one recliner, one chair and the old analog TV. My current guess is that the left front tire is also having tread separation just like the right tire was but am going to get an alignment check on the 3400RL axles before any more trips with replacement tires. I put the spare on the right front and I haven't noticed any wear on it since installation but it only has about 1600 miles on it so far. An alignment check should resolve this mystery. Got referred to an RV axle alignment shop right next to (3 blocks) and by Camping World in Mesa, AZ but they were not able to take us immediately w/o an appointment. $175 if they have to do an axle alignment. So now we are set up in our RV Resort for the winter at the La Hacienda RV Resort in Apache Junction, AZ. When I decide to uproot the RV from its winter setup, I'll get an appointment and drag it down there. Haven't received my replacement tires yet. But... I haven't called Tireco to release the shipment yet. Been thinking about asking them how much they will give me for a cash settlement rather than receive replacement tires and then put on some good US made tires I can fully trust. Has anyone been able to accomplish a cash settlement on all 5 Mission tires? Tires were inflated at 80 PSI (cold) for the trip. I did torque the wheel lugs at 120 ft-lbs. Thanks for reminding me about the DVD, I knew I had seen the torque requirements somewhere but couldn't remember where. I do have the DVD here in the RV somewhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Dean, I have a 3400 2007. I had three of the four mission tires wear on the outside with only 4000 miles. I know that I am ok weight wise and use the correct tire pressure. I had all three tires start to seperate on the outside edge, the other one is fine,the three looked new in the middle of tire. I went to American tire and bought three tires they are all wearing very even with about 2000 miles so far on them. The tires are defected no doubt in my mind. I should have tried to get a adjustment on them. But I didn't know where to go my rv dealer is out of business. I did buy tire insurance at American tire very well worth it, Louis Jensen Pittsburg Ca.
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
That is really helpful information. Maybe I don't have both a Mission Tire and an axle alignment problem after all. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
An update on my Mission tire replacement.Tireco is sending me 5 new replacement tires, probably the Freestar brand. Then I will be asked to return the 5 Missions to them free of charge. There will be an inspection by Tireco on the Missions or but no possible financial responsibility liability for me. The replacement tires will be warranted for 48 months for workmanship, blowouts, etc. Tireco also will be responsible for any additional damage done to the RV caused by a tire failure but the failed tire must be returned to get that authorization and payment.

I asked about what they would pay just for the fact that my Mission tires failed under the warranty period and they didn't really want to commit any numbers but a 100% value it would be about $80 to $100 per tire and then prorated based on wear. So probably at best I could get maybe $400 back. However, I have elected to take the Freestar replacement tires for a few of reasons: 1.) I just don't want to shell out a whole bunch of more money on new tires right now. 2.) They told me that Tireco is not experiencing a high failure rate on the Freestars like they have on the Missions. 3.) I can't believe that any company would send out replacement tires, warranty them for 48 months and be exposed to ancillary RV damage for 4 years knowing they have had or were going to have an unusual or excessive failure rate. and probably the most important 5.) I'm a gambler I guess.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Five(5) new Freestar tires arrived here yesterday from Tireco for our late 2006 3400RL free of charge. Tires look pretty good. We were not home when they arrived. No note no nothing about returning the old Missions. Now I need to find tire shop to get the 5 tires swapped and balanced on the rims. I'll do the removal and mounting on the RV myself to avoid uprooting the RV from it's winter spot in the RV Resort. So far so good.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Removed all 5 tires today and had the new Freestar tires mounted and spin balanced. Also had 4 new high pressure stems installed. The tire dealer told me that the original stems from the factory should never have been installed in the factory rims. Wrong ones. They called the spare tire rim "old Style" and couldn't put a "High Pressure" stem in it. All of my original stems were completely rubber. The new stems are all metal. So if you have the rubber type of stems in your factory wheels you might want to check with your local tire dealer. I sure am glad I had them balanced. They had to add quite a few weights to get them balanced. May be due to Freestar but I recently had new Michelin tires mounted on my TV and Costco used several weights on them to get them balanced too. Feels good to have 5 new tires again. Hopefully these Freestars won't be as troublesome as the Missions. Won't have the RV on the road again until April and intend to have the axle alignment checked before our 1600 mile return trip home. Hopefully, I'm through with tire issues for awhile. The Freestar tires look a whole lot better than the Missions did even when they were new. No sidewall deformities at all. I noticed slight dips and bulges in the Mission sidewalls when we took delivery of the new 3400RL. Dealer response was, not to worry, they all had the same bulges. The bulges were not the source of our problems, as far as I know, but they sure didn't offer a nice, warm & fuzzy appearance. The tread separation we experienced seemed to be quite remote from the sidewall bulges.

BTW, the Shipping document attached to one of the new tires from Tireco included a note to call them when I was ready to have them pick up the old Missions.