Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Black Tank Flush leak not check valve, wrong!

edit -- Turns out it was the check valve!

I've found when I run the black tank flush I have water dripping into the basement. Comes from the passenger side forward basement ceiling. There are 3 or 4 water lines coming through a hole and this is where the water is coming from. It runs down the tubes and drips from the low point where there is a black connector to hold all the lines in place. I know others have had an issue with the check valve but I don't think that's my problem based on the location of others leaks and mine.

Anybody have an idea? I've not taken the time to trace the lines back yet but am 100% certain it's the black water flush.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The standard location for the black tank flush anti-siphon valve in a 3400 is behind the shower. There should be an access plate from the closet area. Remove it and the valve should be viewable. The access hole is often not directly by the valve so you may have to reach around or enlarge the hole.

Lots of folks have had the problem and there are lots of discussions (with pictures) to be found using the Search function.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
If its only during the flush process, that sprayer is in that area. Could be just a loose connection.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Only leaks during during the flush process. I figure it's a bad connection. Like I said I didn't try and figure out how to get to it just yet but its on the list!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don't remember the models but some have found the valve under the lavatory. Since you said it leaks on the curb side and the shower is on the street side I would question whether the valve is behind the shower.
On mine (different model) it was behind the shower. Mine also was dripping off pipes in the basement. But there were four water lines there. Mine was behind the shower, but the shower only needed two water lines, hot and cold. So I knew the two extra ones had to be for the flush valve. See if you can determine that there are two extra water lines in the leak area on yours.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My problem was the valve, and it leaked back down the line into the basement. One of those lines you're seeing is the black tank flush line going up into the rig to the valve and back down to the black tank. Water is only pressurized in that line when you flush. In the course of fixing that and in the work I just did, I can tell you that mine has six elbows and or connectors in the line before it reaches the black tank any of which could also leak. So you may possibly be right that it's not the valve. Hope it's easy for you to find.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I just repaired my vacuum breaker on the flush line, it is made out of plastic and mine broke where one of the lines hooked to the breaker. The fix was to cut the lines leading to the vacuum breaker in the basement, join the two cut sections and picked up an anti-siphon fitting that attaches to the hose connection in the convienence center. You do need to have a vacuum break in that line because the flush nozzle resides in the black tank, you don't want to risk any water coming back up through the water line.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would bet the water is coming from under the vanity sink in the bedroom. My 3400RL has the black tank anti siphon valve up there and leaked exactly as you describe your leak. Look up behind the sink and you should have two lines which you can pull out to look at. The anti siphon valve is there. I took a common 90' elbow and replaced the valve. However I had first replaced it and then later also found that the fittings were loose.

I would check the fitting and clamps or whatever they happen to have used on your unit and if it is not easily repaired then replace it with a regular elbow.

The back flush seems to now get more water than it did with the valve in there. My opinion is that it is not really needed but if you are in anyway concerned then replace it with a good quality one.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Turns out the leak was from the check valve. Trying to source a metal one locally. Good times!