Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I purchased the cheap one from Harbor Freight. I figured if I ever became suspicious that it could be getting worn or may be defective I would simply pull into the local tire shop and have them check my lugs and axle out with one of their $200.00 wrenches. I have a lot of expensive carpenter tools/equipment and only buy the best, but for me that rule doesn't always apply to a tool I may only use two or three times a year.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
One of the quickest ways for the torque wrench to go out of whack is proper storage. Most instructions say to store at 0 or the lowest setting. This prevent the spring from compressing and gets.

And as for the OP, once the U-bolts are torqued, they should maintainn their torque for a while. But the trailer wheels should be checked prior to each trip, since the wheels are especially stresssed when driving and the trailer is put through any turns. The trailer axles don't have a differential so the straight up and down caused a lot of stress on turns. The wheels also need retorquing when they are removed for whatever reason.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
You want a torque wrench that goes at least to 150lbs and is a 1/2 drive. Not 3/8 or 3/4. Most go to 250lbs, but higher is not needed. Most truck wheels get torqued to about 90-110lbs and about the same is true for our 5th wheels. You don't need one over a $100. most are $70-$90. But I wouldn't buy one that cost say a few hundred bucks or the ones that are a few dollars either.

Like Art said, these wrenches need to set back to zero when storing them. Home Depot, Lowes, Autozone and Sears would be good places to purchase one. The click or pop type is the easiest to use.

Also pickup a 4-6 inch extension to use on the 5th wheel and a 8-12inch if you have dual rear wheels on your truck, this is a needed must have as to the lug nuts are set deep in the rim and will also save your knuckles from rubbing on the tires.

Another point is that even though you set the wrench at 120lbs and you go to your lug nuts to start to tighten them and find that some are loose because you will be using the wrench and it will start to tighten the nut, it will turn tighter and the wrench will click when you have reached your setting of 120lbs.

Now, you may come to a lug nut that is already tight and the wrench will immediately click. You will automatically think its set to the 120lbs setting of the wrench. Well, I'll bet you its set much much higher then your 120lbs setting. Unless you've done the torque yourself when the wheel was put on, it very well could be torqued at maybe 180-200lbs or more.

Loosen the lug nut with your lug wrench and now use the torque wrench to set it to 120lbs, and follow the instructions for stepping the torque on the nut, usually 25lbs, then 60lbs and finally 120lbs or what your manual says. Once you get to the 120lbs, that's it your done! Now the next time will be a lot quicker. You'll only have to check for 120lbs. The previous steps are for when you remove the rim or loosen any lug nut.

I also would buy a long 1/2" breaker bar that is at least 16-18 inches long and a socket that fits my 5th wheel and a socket that fits my pick up. If you ever had to break loose lugs with a lug wrench you'll understand why you should invest in getting a breaker bar.

Below is a click type torque wrench.

Below is a breaker bar.

Below are the extensions
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some people are always quick to criticize a torque wrench from Harbor Freight as poor quality, inaccurate, and quickly lose whatever accuracy they may have had compared to torque wrenches that are much more expensive. But I have yet to see anyone produce documented evidence to support those claims.
I have been using a HF torque wrench for years. Check the lug nuts several times a year. Rare that a nut needs any additional tightening. I don't think I am endangering myself or anyone else on the road.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Some people are always quick to criticize a torque wrench from Harbor Freight as poor quality, inaccurate, and quickly lose whatever accuracy they may have had compared to torque wrenches that are much more expensive. But I have yet to see anyone produce documented evidence to support those claims.
I have been using a HF torque wrench for years. Check the lug nuts several times a year. Rare that a nut needs any additional tightening. I don't think I am endangering myself or anyone else on the road.
OK, I'll play along. I can tighten them by hand using a breaker bar, and I'll give you 100:1 odds the results will be the same - so why even bother to buy a torque wrench at all?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have been accused of endangering the lives of those around me for using a Harbor Freight torque wrench. I would simply like to get reliable information confirming that. And to know what torque wrench will make me a better citizen. I would not want to buy brand A, B, or C when only brands D or E would be suitable to prevent a catastrophic accident.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #27
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

Also pickup a 4-6 inch extension to use on the 5th wheel and a 8-12inch if you have dual rear wheels on your truck, this is a needed must have as to the lug nuts are set deep in the rim and will also save your knuckles from rubbing on the tires.
Just curious about the extensions when uses with a torque wrench. Does that not affect the real torque you set? I've seen tire stores set their torque with air wrenches by using color coded extensions for a set torque they want to achieve.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #28
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

Quote:

Just curious about the extensions when uses with a torque wrench. Does that not affect the real torque you set? I've seen tire stores set their torque with air wrenches by using color coded extensions for a set torque they want to achieve.
The color coded extensions are by design to twist the right amount of torque, where as the extensions made for just being extensions are made of a different type of metal. Using a 4" extension won't twist very much if at all, but an 8-10" will have a little, but again, not enough IMH to mess with the final settings. You have no choice but to use a long extension if you want to torque the nuts on your dually.

BB_TX, I hope you weren't implying that it was me that made you feel in that you were endangering your life. I never said that in my post.

I have bought some tools at HF myself, it just depends on what it is and how long or often I'll be using it. Heck, maybe there torque wrenches are good, IDK I never tried one.

The bottom line here is that we ALL care about our Monty's and stuff to go out and do the right thing. IMHO, as long as we torque our wheels using our preferred flavor of wrench and all the nuts are of equal tension, that's good enough for me and should be good enough for most of us too!

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #29
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No, Scott, that was not you. A statement on page 2 of this thread stated using a HF torque wrench would endanger other motorist.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #30
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There was a previous torque wrench post that linked a review article (Car Craft magazine I think) that tested that cheap HF torque wrench against the expensive top-of-the-line models. The results were astounding and you can draw your own conclusions by searching the internet for similar reviews. I think I will hold on to my $9.99 HF Chinese-made cheap torque wrench. It works just fine for my needs and the less than 4% tolerance works for me. That $90 I saved paid for a couple of nights camping!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
And, now with Cyber Monday, etc.....you can buy a 1/2" click style at HF for $9.95... Made it to Colorado and back and then to S Texas and have yet to loose a wheel. Guess it works OK.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
My breaker bar worked ok too, never had a wheel fall off.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:

The ones I am familiar with are called torque sticks, although I think the spelling is different) . Unfortunately, many people do not use them correctly. While they are made to work with air impact wrenches, there a few things that need to be done to ensure they work properly. The first thing is the air source to the impact wrench must be a constant pressure. Second, the stick must be tested by torquing a nut and then testing with a torque wrench to make sure the applied torque is within specs. If it isn't, the air supply to the impact wrench must either be increased or decreased. Nor can you use one with a different air wrench without going through the calibration process again. Once they are properly set up, they are a real time saver, but lots of folks don't follow that procedure, nor do they check them periodically. For myself, I use the next size down - that is if a wheel requires 100LB, I'll use the 90LB, and hand torque the remaining. That way, it doesn't matter if the sticks are right on or not. I believe most tire places do the same thing.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:

I can see from the discussions that lugs nuts and U-bolts need to be torqued occasionally. I'm looking for some suggestions on which torque wrench to buy for all the things I'll need to torque on the TV or 5W. It sounds like the clicking kind is the easiest to use, but there are a millions different priced wrenches just at Sears. Not sure how cheap or expensive I need to go.

Comments??
jfaberna, you are correct there are torque wrenches priced right from the $9.95 HF special to ones well in excess of $200.00. Forget the price for a moment, and consider the range of torque you may need. A 1/2" drive with a 20 - 250 ft lb range will cover any bolts you will want/need to torque on your RV or TV. A clicker type is easiest since it gives you an audible click when torque is reached. No need to read a dial.

Now the price range, whatever price you choose, remember you are going to use it rarely, and if one is 10 lbs less accurate than another it really does not matter since the U-bolt torque range for instance is between 45 - 70 lbs, so set your wrench for 60 and either way you will be within the specs. As for the wheel lugs they are ok between 110 and 120 lbs on the RV, so set them at 110 lbs, the wheel will never fall off if the wheel nuts are all torqued to 100 lbs rather than 120.

If you don't already have one buy a 6" extension, You will need it on the wheel lugs on the RV. Do not worry about loss of torque, if you hold the wrench at the head and apply pressure to the end of the handle, you would not be able to measure the torque difference from not using a regular extension.

Personally I have "never" torqued my lug nuts on any truck I have owned, every 10,000 miles I have my tires rotated, the shop torques them at that time and I take it back after 100 miles or so and they recheck the torque at no cost. Ask yourself if you have ever checked the torque on any passenger vehicle lug nuts you have owned, then quit worrying about that part of it.

The important thing here is the forum has made you aware that some, perhaps many U-bolts are not properly torqued from the factory, have them checked or check them yourself, then forget them. Check you RV lug nuts from time to time, if they are within their torque range according to your HF or Craftsman or whatever torque wrench you choose, then carry on and do not worry about all this other "stuff".

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great post, Ed.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #36
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Ed,