Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Tire Minder question

I have purchased a Tire Minder TMG400C-6 System that comes with a signal power booster. It is meant to be wired into a 12 V system. When I go to the Tire Minder site, it has some photographs of the system being mounted in the vicinity of the battery. But it is unclear to me how it is wired into the system.

Has anyone here wired this product similarly? I'm wondering where the wire from the Tire Minder is supposed to go into the 12 V system in my rig? I'm wondering if this is something I should just let a tech person do?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm guess you are only referring to the signal booster. It doesn't matter where it's located, just as long it's able to be connected to a 12v power source since it's only a booster and you don't have to look at it. It boosts the communications between the tire monitors and the viewing unit. You can mount it near the rig's batteries or somewhere at the rearend of the truck (a picture was shown with it at the vehicles rear plate, but then you'll need to run power wires to 12V. Keep in mind this is probably ON as long as it's connected to 12v, so you might have to get creative ensuring the rig batteries are not recharged completely.

I think it would be easier to mount at the rig's battery as long as you remember to "disconnect" when not needed. Mounting it at the rear of the truck might require a tech since running wires will be needed and I don't know how inclined you'd be for this.

In retrospect, the tire monitors should be able to work up to 60 ft. Run without the signal booster first to see if you need it before going through the effort for this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
I mounted mine in fr. basement area, easy to get 12V power.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
I installed mine in the front compartment zip tied to a frame member near the battery. Went to the local auto parts store and picked up a in line fuse for the positive wire and put on a couple of terminals to hook to the battery connections. Has always worked great with nothing to do to it since I installed it. I bought mine with the Tire Minder as the last thing I needed was intermittent signals from the valve stem sensors. I changed out the batteries in the sensors after two years.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would recommend installing the booster. I mounted mine in the driver side propane compartment on the forward bulkhead. It is very easy access into the battery compartment for power.

I put a switch in line with it so that I can turn it off when the unit is parked. I also installed a 12V led light in the bulkhead that is visible from my truck so that I know the booster is on. That is not necessary but is what I did.

The wiring is simple with only a positive and ground connection. You may require some additional 16 gauge wire and a switch if there is not one on the booster. I also used an inline fuse just in case.

Picture of the booster mounted on a small aluminum bracket I made for it, showing the switch which is also lighted.

Picture shows where the external light is mounted and visible from my rear view mirror.

Hope that helps a bit.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My TST booster hangs in the back window of my truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
To get reliable communications with the Tire Minder you will most likely need the booster. I ran ours for a while without the booster and would get false alarms and would take forever to reset after an alarm. Recently installed the booster in the Battery compartment with a switch inside the road side propane compartment. Now it works like a champ.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
Ours works fine no booster needed.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Michelle may have the same issue, but we need the booster because we have a large cat cage with three cats in residence between the back window of the truck and the front seats. The booster gets the signal past the cats.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Thanks all.

2Wanderers, if you read this, you're saying you bought two terminals and crimped the positive and negative wires into them and then put them on top of the battery terminals? Do you leave them there all the time if that's the case? Also, why a fuse for the positive?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
DQDick, how are you powering the booster from your truck?

Also, is it your opinion that a clear line of sight is needed? If so, then maybe mounting the actual transmitter high in the truck is better than low?