Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
mdgear
Established Member

M.O.C. #13823
Verizon Signal Strength

Any suggestions what we can buy to improve our ability to receive phone calls? We have been in a couple locations lately (in California) where we can get texts but not phone calls or voice mails. I'm not real savvy on this, but I would think if the Verizon signal can send texts, a booster would allow us to get phone calls. Is that right? If so, what setups do you recommend (and what is the approximate cost?) Or, any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for help.
Dwayne & Margaret Gearhart

mdgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use a Wilson Sleek with a window mounted add on antenna (bigger than the standard that comes with the unit) for our Verizon Hot Spot and it gets us extra bars. We are frequently way out in the boonies on Wildlife refuges etc. The Sleek isn't what you want, but Wilson does make units that claim to fill your need. We just know the company makes a unit that has filled our needs for the last four years or so.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I use the Sleek also. Wilson will help if you have problems. They are a great company to deal with. You can call and they can hook you up with what you need.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
I use the Wilson Sleek also with our Verizon service. I recommend the optional 14" antennae with magnetic base. I purchased an expandable painters roller pole and mounted/fabricated a metal base to the tip (for the magnetized antennae base). I attach the antennae to the base, extend it to the maximum length of the coax wire and mount the pole in my flag holder that's attached to my ladder. The antennae now sits about 3 feet above my rooftop and I find I get much improved reception over the window mount.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hi Dwayne,

Be sure to check if the booster you are planning to purchase works for all bands and supports 4G data. These will naturally be the most expensive (most options = most money ) , but provide the most signal for phone calls, texts, and data. There are some units that only support 3G data, they are less expensive, but limit your options somewhat.

A 4G booster for what you are wanting to do will be in the $300 - $500 range if you go with a reputable manufacture i.e. WeBoost. I'm not saying you might not find something for less, but a reliable product will be in that range.

Here's a link to a site that is very helpful in several areas, I'm not affiliated with the site, just a satisfied customer:http://www.technorv.com/RV_Cell_Phon...ters_s/123.htm

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
mdgear
Established Member

M.O.C. #13823
Thanks to all who responded. I googled Wilson, and it looks like they are now WeBoost. And when we get somewhere with cellphone service again, I will call TechnoRV. It would be great to talk with a real person, and someone who knows RV's would really be a plus!
Thanks for all the input and travel safe
Margaret & Dwayne Gearhart
mdgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
we use wilson electronics
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote