Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
tlrawlings
Established Member

M.O.C. #13944
Send a message via MSN to tlrawlings
cracks in sides around front slides

Has anyone experienced any cracking in the sides of a 3750FL around the slides. Both sides have major cracking in the aluminum frame under the fiberglass.

tlrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I can only recall one post of problems associated with the framing around the front slides on a 3750. That post revealed problems that contributed to the slide cables breaking. There were pictures provided as part of the thread, here is a link to that posting,

3750 Thread

the pictures are on the second page. Pictures would help and completing your signature line (Use the Profile link at the top of each forum page) with the year of your rig will help in the future.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Recently there have been some issues with a couple of folks rigs, I didn't pay attention to the models. I would start by contacting Keystone and starting a case and see what they say. Bingo's right about pictures, you'll need to email those in as well.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
There was a recent thread of 4 or five pages, concerning a Front Living Room late model with severe cracks. Cannot remember the title of the thread, but the solution was to take it back to Goshen and Keystone was going to add expansion joints to the frame and then repair the walls both inside and out. Damage was really bad.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

There was a recent thread of 4 or five pages, concerning a Front Living Room late model with severe cracks. Cannot remember the title of the thread, but the solution was to take it back to Goshen and Keystone was going to add expansion joints to the frame and then repair the walls both inside and out. Damage was really bad.
I believe that posting was regarding the rear bedroom slides, not the front slides. With that said, the issues could be related.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
tlrawlings
Established Member

M.O.C. #13944
Thanks for the info. I believe mine is due to the accident we had back in May 2013. However my insurance company (Good Sams, GMAC and now National General Assurance Company, keeps changing names) stated that they contacted Keystone and that this is an issue with cable slides and that the accident had nothing to do with it. However when I contacted Keystone she told me that there was no issues nor recalls or bulletins on this and that no insurance company had contacted them about this issue. Does anyone know how to post pictures?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Our 3750FL had cracks in the "corner" pieces on the frame surrounding the front living room slides. Keystone took it back to the Cougar factory in Oregon and did a repair. We still are having some issues with staples coming out in the front entertainment centre. The cause of our problems was "frame flex".
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
tlrawlings
Established Member

M.O.C. #13944
Ok, here's the link ( http://s787.photobucket.com/user/tlr...2be1d.jpg.html)
I don't know if you will be able to view.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Looks to me like the person doing the welding had his settings too hot. The person doing that welding did not know what he was doing.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As Mudchief says the welding looks like it might be brittle, however there must have been significant forces at play to create this damage. My question would be, what part of the unit was involved in the accident and how significant was the exterior damage to the trailer? I am assuming the damage is at the rear of the trailer or am I wrong.

The referenced links were of a unit that was not involved in an accident that we are aware of.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
tlrawlings
Established Member

M.O.C. #13944
It is a 3750FL 2011 and the damage was to the rear as it hung a post 6" from the end and ripped off the rear cap 6" on passenger side and the left side was still attached. Ins. company is refusing to pay as stating the slides caused damage rather than the accident.
{http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps0d7b988d.jpg) These are the pictures of the damage to the rear and the post I hung and pictures of aluminum frame cracks. I polish this unit 3 times a year and had not seen any damage to the frame under the slide until I had the accident. Good Sam's, GMAC, National General, same company, has been a nightmare to have the repairs done as they refuse to pay over $105 per hour for labor and then tell the repair shop they can only make x amount profit in parts and you have to make up the difference. Then they want you to use a Camping World for the repairs so they can deny repairs if they don't feel that it was necessary. When it hung and turned loose I looked back and saw the front rocking back and forth from side to side as without the back on its like a box that has no end and will flex and rock to the point of cracking.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If your insurance company is refusing to pay based on the supposed conversation they had with someone at Keystone regarding the cable slides I would ask for the name of that person at Keystone or that they make that statement to you in writing. I think this is very important to the insurance issue.

The rear cap certainly is a big part of the structural integrity of the unit as a whole, but it is only held in place with screws. While certainly not impossible I am sure, it is difficult to imagine having the cap pulled off one side that it would cause movement sufficient to cause your damaged welds at the front of the trailer. Since I cannot see the unit and was not there when the accident happened I would accept your description of the movement at impact as being the culprit.

The biggest thing is getting it fixed at the least cost to yourself by your insurance. Because of the partnership with Good Sams and Camping world I understand their reason for having the work done there. You are in for a battle by the sounds of it but I hope it gets resolved and fixed to your satisfaction, good luck and keep us updated.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote