Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
PktChg
Established Member

M.O.C. #13889
Simple heating question......

I am the new owner of a pristine 2008 Monti and my first excursion into the RV world. Is the heater in the units propane only or are the electric also?? I've run through two tanks quickly and if these were electric too, it would be wonderful.

PktChg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Propane only. We supplement the propane with a couple of electric space heaters to reduce the propane usage.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It is propane only, but many of us use small electric heaters to cut the use of propane. Some of us also have electric fireplaces. One word of warning, do not use electric or even portable propane heaters in place of the furnace if you are in below freezing temperatures. The ductwork keeps your water lines and to a certain extent, your tanks from freezing. What I do is use the electric heaters to assist the furnace when it's below freezing but I make sure everything is set so the furnace runs every so often. When it's above freezing we use the electric heaters almost exclusively and if it's below freezing to too long we move.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
You wil find that most all of us use 2 small electric heaters or 1 heater if you also have a fireplace. We are in Alabama and only rarely use the propane heat unless its extremely cold to warm the Rv up quickly. For one of the heaters we run a heavy duty cord by the slide out and plug into the main pole therefore eliminating blowing a circuit. Just keep checking here and all your questions will be answered. Have fun.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
PktChg
Established Member

M.O.C. #13889
Dadgummit!!! Luckily we have the fireplace and did use a space heater. We are full-timeing it for the time being and since it is getting cold....... Is there a "boneheaded move" section for things people have done that weren't so bright?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
No Bone head topics, we all learn from each other, but many of us prefer to make our own mistakes before we ask. Keeps life interesting
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
PktChg, you will find that the fireplace does a very good job of keeping the Rv toasty. I just love watching the fake flames but my DH is afraid we are going to wear it out so he runs the other heater most of the time. When he goes to play golf I turn the fireplace on. Don't tell him I said that.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PktChg

Dadgummit!!! Luckily we have the fireplace and did use a space heater. We are full-timeing it for the time being and since it is getting cold....... Is there a "boneheaded move" section for things people have done that weren't so bright?
Like others, we use two Lasko towers in place of the propane furnace...we'd rather use the CG's electricity than our propane.

The forum does not have room for a "boneheaded move" section...'cause we'd all be on it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
PktChg
Established Member

M.O.C. #13889
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This might be a reason to get the add on electric heat system installed if you don't want to burn propane. If you are staying in one place for a long time during the winter, have a local propane company drop off a large tank and get you hooked up. Saves a lot of hassle, filling the small ones, and might be cheaper, especially when having to transport the tanks back and forth to get them filled. Gas or electric? Depends on the cost of electric versus gas, which one is better.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The main central heating is a propane furnace. The power for it is 12V (runs off the battery, or runs off the converter when connected to shore power, or a generator).

The fireplace (if equipped) runs off 110v - shore power or generator).

Many of us use a separate 110v heater (I use an Edenpure). Just watch the power draw. Electric heaters use lots of AC power and we've known to blow a circuit breaker. In fact, this happened twice during our current one week stay connected to 30 amp. DW forgot to turn off the fireplace and Edenpure when she ran the blow dryer - whoops... This blew the shore power circuit breaker, the Monty was fine.

Running 110v electric heaters help save the propane. The main furnace stays on propane/12v so one can boondock.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Funny you should bring this question to the Forum. I was just reading my December 2013 issue of Trailer Life magazine and there is an article in it about just what you are asking for. There is a conversion unit that can be attached to your present LP furnace that runs the heat for the unit off of electricity. It has a gas/electric toggle switch for change over and looks like it is just what you are looking for. It is the CheapHeat system put out by RV Comfort Systems. Their website is www.recomfortsystems.com and phone # is 425-408-3140. I have no connection with this company at all, just saw the article! They have three models and retail prices run from $249-$695. If you can't get ahold of a copy of the Trailer Life send me a PM and your email address and I'll see if I can scan it in for you and send you a copy of the article.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe the website should be: rvcomfortsystems.com
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

have a local propane company drop off a large tank and get you hooked up. Saves a lot of hassle, filling the small ones, and might be cheaper, especially when having to transport the tanks back and forth to get them filled.
This is probably good advise is you are staying in a cold area. There are several in our current RV park that have had (2) 100 gallon tanks delivered and set up. They claim that each tank will last as long as 4 or 5 30-gallon tanks, something about more pressure. I don't know this for a fact since we are leaving in 10 days for Florida and I am still filling a 30 gallon tank every week.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I had these installed in my former 3750FL Montana and they worked great. They kept the RV warm when the outside temps were in the 40's. Looking to add them to my current Montana if the newer A/Cs can accept them. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MYH4WM/...I2AIWMBOU3K3IL
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote