Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
cc1220

M.O.C. #21856
Satellite / Cable Issues

Just purchased our 2019 Montana High Country and have bad reception when on Cable and have no connection between the Satellite and the Wally receiver. It will connect when I go directly from the Carryout Dish to the receiver. I have changed cables with no luck. Hoping its not a wiring issue . Any Ideas ?

cc1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
cc,

You will be much happier if you run a separate cable directly to your Wally from outside. Easy way is to use one of the flat cable connectors that will go through a window. I was able to run a cable from my outside TV compartment up to my living room TV by pulling the fireplace (easy job with only 4 screws). Prior to running the separate cable I had bypassed a splitter behind the the convenience center and got it to work but it would only work with a short cable. The portable antennas do not handle long cables well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Apparently the newer Montanas have a splitter behind the convenience center. There has been a lot of discussion about trying to use the OTA/Cable/Sat connections which a Search should find. Here are a couple of them which may help you.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73066
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73292

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Carl's right. I took the splitter out and connected the wires directly and everything was fine. That said, it depends on your antenna. Tailgators normally depend on the wally to power themselves and so you arn't supposed to use anything more than 25' of continuous cable. The more cable and connections the less likely they will work. I use two Winegard G2+'s and since they power themselves one of my runs is 50' long before I hook it to the connection in the convienence center and it heads back to the livingroom.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
picking our 331rl up friday. It had a similar problem. Dealer said that just about all of the connections were lose. More great quality control. Second HC in three years to have this same problem. get rid of the splitters if you are not planning on running a tv from the door side basement hookup. Hoping the dealer got it fixed right this time. would like to have our dish working in Heber city.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #6
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
I also removed the fireplace, ran a new piece of quality RG6 up thru the wire loom to the receiver directly. Left the end hanging out of the loom so when the slide is out it is easy to connect my Pathway X2.

Every connection in our unit was loose as well, tightened each one, now OTA signal is good.

OTA signal goes direct into TV, Sat signal into the HD port
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
It is not unusual for the cables to be mislabeled so check that out first. I replaced all splitters and connectors with a quality product, check connections at all locations including at the rear of the wall plates. make sure the antenna booster is in the correct position . I have a Pathway X1 and use 100' of cable with VIP211Z recievers and have no problem. Poor quality connectors can also be an issue I had one that the signal did not pass through, check with electrical meter and it is easy to diagnose, the hard part is finding all of the connections as they must try and hide them when they install the cables. It is possible to make the existing system work just keep looking and replacing the junk from the factory!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
picking our 331rl up friday. It had a similar problem. Dealer said that just about all of the connections were lose. More great quality control. Second HC in three years to have this same problem. get rid of the splitters if you are not planning on running a tv from the door side basement hookup. Hoping the dealer got it fixed right this time. would like to have our dish working in Heber city.
Snoopy,

Just got to Heber yesterday - campground has great cable so Dish may not be needed. Recommend not pulling splitters until after the trip if you want to use the cable. Having a dedicated cable into the rig for your Dish lets you have Dish and OTA or cable.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Time2Travel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21292
According to the people at dish, they recommended the I run my cable direct, and not a cable that is over 50ft. I could not get the set up done trying to go through the convenience center, as others have said, they have a splitter and when I pulled the plate behind the tv for the cable, the cable and satellite are from one cable and it hooks to a diverter. I ran mine direct and its a beautiful picture.
Time2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
On my 330rl.....had dish in the living room and not the bedroom. Replaced the spllitter behind the convenience center and worked great. I now just use my Wally and a wireless Joey for the bedroom.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
did you run a seperate cable to the outlet in the LR, or was the splitter bad?
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not even try the Montana set up for the satellite on this 13 3402 having had a 06 3400 before. We just drilled a couple of holes in the side of the Montana into the entertainment center and installed a nice outside cable box on the exterior. We drilled another hole up through the top of the door side propane tank which comes out under the dresser in the bedroom and installed a cable connector. Set up the sat dish run a few cables direct and never a issue. We use the G2+ when on the road same setup.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote