Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The problem with the level up system, is that the between the wheel chocks press outward and in some situations (uneven sites) will result in an unwanted force on the tires. When the rig is let down, it is possible to cause damage. I don't know how well I explained that, but hopefully enough to make sense? My rubber chocks weigh less than 5 pounds apiece, here is a link to what I am using:

Rubber Chocks

Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #22
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
Again, thanks Bingo. Now a dumb NOOB question. Do you just put one in between the tires on each side or would I actually need 4 to prevent forward or backward movement?
Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Totally depends on the situation (probability of motion). Four is ideal with one in front and one behind a tire on each side. I only carry two, but if I am in a situation where I am worried, I do it the old fashioned way (a couple of blocks of firewood to the rescue, since I usually have a couple extra pieces in truck bed). Hope this helps.
Bingo
Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #24
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I picked up a couple of plastic wheel chocks and they work well. I made the mistake and used the X Block when I first used my Montana and when I tried to get them out after I lowered it down was almost impossible. I had to use a much larger wrench. My buddy was lowering his Montana and it spit out the X block, fortunately there was nobody standing in front of the tires. Enjoy your new Monty. You will love the self levelers.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #25
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep 4 Big Plastic chocks for me as well, I got them at Camping World ,light and inexpensive and work great ALSO X2 on the dehumidifier or DRI_EZE etc.. for the Bedroom closets,and next to the bed under the windows,All three Montana's I've owned I get Mildew in the bedroom and closets without them
Old 01-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
Well the dealer is not working with me on the tires OR the hitch. Tires=$1510 PullRite Super Slide=$2485. No where near what I expected.
At this point I am seriously considering a standard Reese hitch that will fit my Ford Fifth wheel prep and just the TPMS. Yes, my new truck is a short (6.75') bed. I figure if I am careful I shouldn't need the slide hitch. And if I stay as OCD as I am now about tire inflation and careful driving I can maybe save up in a few years for the G614s.

Am I being short sighted?
Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There have been reports on the forum of cheaper alternatives than G614's. I cannot vouch for them, Sailun is one of the brand names. May be better to purchase yourself and sell the OEM tires. Just a thought. There are also those who do not use sliders, but you always have to be cognizant of turning when backing, etc.
Bingo
Old 01-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
When we got our Montana we had a super glide installed in our 2002 F250 and it cost $1600. Looking at Tweetys the parts just to install the super glide to your truck is $1600 and it still requires cutting and drilling. We got a an F350 long bed last year and got just the regular hitch from Pullrite and it cost us $1080 from the local dealer. No install cost since it drops in the factory pucks which I did myself. Having the auto slide was good insurance I thought with the short box. Lots of folks on this forum will tell you they have the manual ones and don't use them. I think it really is how comfortable you are with backing a fifth wheel.

We had the same debate about the tires and my wife convinced me to swap out the tires to the G614s. I didn't want to spend the money but I am glad we did. Our dealership wouldn't budget on replacing the tires but you can probably sell your tires for $70/ea. The tire store we had install the G614s bought them off of us and said they would have no problem selling them for lighter trailers. After you read the stories of the folks on the MOC who had a blow out you will be glad you did it. A lot of folks believe that it won't happen to them but I think it is only a matter of time and you will join the Marabomb club. My father in law thought I was nuts for swapping new tire out but changed his mind when he saw a tire blow out on a Montana on the interstate by Bozeman MT. He said it was like a bomb ripped apart the side of the trailer. Seems like the typical repair cost is $3k to $5k and the time required to repair it.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #29
tomNtrisha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14022
Take the $600 that you have to pay for a new back window and invested in a good slider hitch and use it! Tom
tomNtrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #30
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
An alternative to the Slider is a Reese Sidewinder We have the 5th Airborne Sidewinder combination with a Reese 18K hitch that fits the pucks in our F350. Less expensive than the autosilder and does the job as far as increased clearance for turning and backing into spots.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #31
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Congrats on the new 5th. I agree with all of the above comments however, the bottle of wine is still the most important!!! (only after you are comfortably parked) I have read all the comments on the tires and still have ran my oem tires two years and 15,000 miles with no problem. I did put on TPMS just because I was nervous. No problem as of now. I do not run fast or when extreme hot weather is hitting the area. After two years I will now replace them as some wear is present on the inside of each rear tire.

I have a long bed truck, but am always concerned about getting into tight spots with the 5th attached, even with care it does happen at times, slidder hitch would seem to be cheap insurance for both tv and 5th.

I have the leveling system and never camped in a spot where blocks were needed, I do dry camp along lakes and rivers on very uneven ground at times, still the 5th was stable and solid as a rock.

Relax, Enjoy and you will learn what you need to meet your type of use. HAVE FUN!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #32
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I waited a while on the G614 tires. A lot of money to replace perfectly new tires. The Marathons were a constant source of worry but i got lucky I suppose.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:29 AM   #33
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

Well the dealer is not working with me on the tires OR the hitch. Tires=$1510 PullRite Super Slide=$2485. No where near what I expected.
At this point I am seriously considering a standard Reese hitch that will fit my Ford Fifth wheel prep and just the TPMS. Yes, my new truck is a short (6.75') bed. I figure if I am careful I shouldn't need the slide hitch. And if I stay as OCD as I am now about tire inflation and careful driving I can maybe save up in a few years for the G614s.

Am I being short sighted?
I don't know much but I would go without TPMS and put on the g614's and run comfortably without monitoring tires if I knew I had 614s back there.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

50 amp surge protector, water pressure regulator, BB Q, yard chairs, TV cable, tools, tire chalks and several bottles of wine.

I like your thinking Frank!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #35
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The problem with the level up system, is that the between the wheel chocks press outward and in some situations (uneven sites) will result in an unwanted force on the tires. When the rig is let down, it is possible to cause damage. I don't know how well I explained that, but hopefully enough to make sense? My rubber chocks weigh less than 5 pounds apiece, here is a link to what I am using:

Rubber Chocks

Bingo
I got the same Harbor Freight Chocks, and they are really nice, so much better than the cheap plastic ones.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote