Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Chris Whitsitt

M.O.C. #12777
Big sky welds

Our 2007 Big Sky has started to exhibit some very bad anomalies! The original tires were absolute junk even though Mission Tires replaced the set twice we still experienced a blowout with less than 200 miles on the set. I bought a set of michelins and alleviated that issue. The TVs were bad as well and I finally replaced them with Samsung and Vizio. The awning end cap rounded out and stranded us until I figured out how to swap it with the other end. The cover around the hit h pin is falling down and replacement screws will not fix the problem. One of them still has a grip on the metal but when torque is applied you can hear something metal loose and banging behind the cover. We're currently on the road and when I stepped outside the steps fell from the aft attach bolt. Relay screwed my knees up. I just finished removing the steps. The weld holding the steps on the aft side to the frame was bad! You can see the weld adhered to the step bracket but not the frame. This caused flexing at the act bracket mounting nut which failed resulting in the collapse of the steps. If yours feel loose you better have them checked out. This welding issue (steps to frame & metal banging around the hitch pin) is causing me considerable concern. I'll try contacting Keystone Monday and see what they think. Bought this expensive thing new in 07 and haven't used it that much. Another concern is the 07 Big Sky doesn't show up in NADA. This results in very low appraisals if you think about buying a new one. Watch those steps!

Chris Whitsitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would be concerned about frame flex being the issue in the front end. Get with Keystone right away so someone competent to judge gets a look at it asap.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I removed this reply.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Could be, but with that issue it's always good to check.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I also removed this reply.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Welcome to the forum Chris, sorry about you're run of bad luck. As Dick said, I would get that frame flex issue looked at ASAP by a shop.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well your first post is not a good one at all. A call to keystone customer service is in order...now. have your camera ready to take pictures.Did all these problems crop up in a short time or did they accumulate over time.Surprised you did niot note these things happening. We are not a welding expert but the welds on our 13 Big sky steps look good...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Chris Whitsitt

M.O.C. #12777
We had a "creaking" type sound with the steps for a while and I did investigate but unless one pulls the trim off you can't see the weld. Experience has shown that removing those little metal screws usually results in them vibrating out while traveling and that too can be a bad deal. I never dreamed the weld would be broke (really never welded). I took great pains before heading out inspecting and lubeing wheel bearings etc. the screws holding the cover on pulled out on this trip. For those unfamiliar with Carefree electric awnings, the end caps are identical. Should you have a situation where the awning won't come up there's a good chance the end cap has rounded out on the motor shaft. Should you experience this, you can swap the end caps and get the awning up. I'll try to call Keystone today.
Chris Whitsitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sounds like you will have done a very through PDI when finished. Are you the only old guy left in Granbury, thought most of them are here in Vallecito. At least 3 couple departed last week.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rich,
Is that 06/09/2025 date stamp on your signature picture the day you are planning on trading in your Big Sky, or the day of the last payment?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
My guess would be that the same person who welded the steps probably welded the frame. We also had spring hanger issues on our Montana. All four hangers were spot welded with very poor heat penetration, and one failed. Might want to check those too.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote