Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
New rules of the road to protect emergency workers

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...041-000675.htm
I just stumbled on this "new rules of the road" for BC Canada that takes place June 1. If a person does not slow down when going past an emergency vehicle with lights flashing you will face a fine.
I have never seen it published anywhere before.
Drive safe.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
As the article says, it is quite common in the U.S. They have roadside signs telling you to move over. Stiffer penalties also.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In California you have a couple of choices. You can either move over and or slow down. And the slow down is a substantial slow down. I think it is around 25 MPH or so. As far as I'm concerned that is a great law. It is very dangerous out there and anything to make the workers safer is OK by me.

Travel safely.

HamRad

On Edit: Please see my corrected post below.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

25 MPH, really??? WOW. OKKK, fully aware of the slow down or move over, was not aware it was to be that slow. Hey, no problem in my mind with that, but, the number, LOW number, surprises me.

Anyone else know of LOW numbers???? For your states??? Or, is there a web site that has these listed??

Great post!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I know it was always a given to slow down and move over but the fine and the speed was a surprise.
Another big hazard I see often is the folks that stop to talk on their cell phones and are on the fog line or just almost off the road, I think this is as big or bigger a hazard as talking and driving. IMHO
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Its the law in NC also.
What is a fog line
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
At 7o MPH what is Slow 55 45 No where do I read what is Slow.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Fog line, the white line on the outside right side of the road.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Here is a corrected version of what I posted earlier. Note that there is no specific speed listed.

I usually just move over. A couple of times I have not been able to move over so I did slow down.

Dennis

Chapter 4 of Division 11 of the California Vehicle Code

21809 (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, or a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed to do one of the following:

(1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not prohibited by law.

(2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Speaking from experience as a Law Enforcement Officer, I can assure you that the side of the road is a very dangerous place to be. Even while in your vehicle it has its hazards. Can you imagine getting rear ended at 65 mph while you are stopped! Happens with regular frequency. People see the blue/red lights and stare at them and drive right into the vehicle.
Next time you HAVE to stop on the highway or interstate just think of what COULD happen. You won't have time to jump out of the way of an oncoming vehicle. That's why you see LEO's standing by the passenger door as it gives a little more security.
My childhood Dr. was killed while changing a tire on his vehicle on the side of the road when the spare tire came off of a 18 wheeler and hit him in the chest. Killed him instantly.
Slow down or move over. If you are in that much of a hurry you should have left earlier.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In Texas you move over. If you cannot move over you slow to 20 mph under the speed limit. So 45 in a 65 zone, etc.,
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I don't have a problem with moving over but the LEO's in this state leave their front end protruding out into the right lane which presents more of a hazard that if they stayed on the shoulder. Try approaching one of them at 65 MPH when you can't move over and the traffic behind you is right on your you know what. If you hit your brakes, you're liable to get rear ended.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote